Jersey Canary

Changes in January

To make our squad fighting fit for next season and to give ourselves half a chance for this season we need to do the following:

- Send Idah out on loan

- Sell Cantwell

- Sell Aarons/ Loan Mumba

-  Sell Gianoulis

- Loan Tzolis after the FA Cup game

- Sell Dowelll

With the cash raised I would go out and buy a proper DM, preferably two. Someone who’s mobile, can tackle, track runners and gap fill.  This for me is our biggest problem as we haven’t replaced Skipp. Until we do we’re always vulnerable to counter attack when our full backs bomb forwards (like they used to).  And Kenny is not up to PL football and need replacing.

We can afford to let Gianoulis and Aarons go as we have Mumba who can play either side as can Byram and Williams. Sorensen too if really called upon. 

Further forwards we need a bit of creativity, but if we can fill the DM slot we can push Normann and Gilmour further forwards and that might solve our lack of creativity.

Lastly, we need to find a striker who is going to score plenty should we end up getting relegated. Pukki is getting on a bit now and we need to future plan. The answer might be Idah if he loan goes well but I’m not sure he’s going to make it. I’d like to be wrong but we’ll see.  Maybe see if we can loan Blackburn Idah in exchange for Brereton-Diaz and a bit of cash? Or Joel Piroe off Swansea?

What do you think? 

The thing about selling players is that people have to want to buy them. If a decent bid came in for Aarons or Cantwell I do think we'd sell in January but I can't see it. Both of their values will be at a low right now too. We're never going to rely on Byram's fitness so Mumba won't leave on loan.

If I were Giannoulis I'd be doing everything I could to get a move. Personally hope he's gets into the side though as he's better than Williams and will be a star for us next season in the Championship.

Idah's looked decent when he's been on recently so he won't be going, I should imagine he's the second choice striker with Sargent now only considered out wide. I would imagine we'd want to keep Tzolis around the team, presumably he'll be a starter next season.

Unless we sell a player for a significant fee there's no chance we'll be signing a big name out of the Championship. Brereton for a bit of cash and Idah on loan? If we offered them that I think they'd ask us if we were high. He's easily a £20m+ player right now.

I'd be looking to recycle the Williams and/or Gilmour loans if we can find players more suited to the side.

Personally I hope we go either all in to try and stay up or all in to get the squad in the best condition for the Championship.

With Covid lingering and at times already struggling to fill a bench it could be madness to be letting numbers go...if anything we shpyld be looking to recall players currently out on loan as an insurance

However , 'if' a bid came in for Cantwell you'd have to consider it as he's no good to us ib the current situation.

With all the injuries/covid cases we have , he didnt even warm up during the game on boxing day let alone come on as sub

4 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

To make our squad fighting fit for next season and to give ourselves half a chance for this season we need to do the following:

- Send Idah out on loan

- Sell Cantwell

- Sell Aarons/ Loan Mumba

-  Sell Gianoulis

- Loan Tzolis after the FA Cup game

- Sell Dowelll

With the cash raised I would go out and buy a proper DM, preferably two. Someone who’s mobile, can tackle, track runners and gap fill.  This for me is our biggest problem as we haven’t replaced Skipp. Until we do we’re always vulnerable to counter attack when our full backs bomb forwards (like they used to).  And Kenny is not up to PL football and need replacing.

We can afford to let Gianoulis and Aarons go as we have Mumba who can play either side as can Byram and Williams. Sorensen too if really called upon. 

Further forwards we need a bit of creativity, but if we can fill the DM slot we can push Normann and Gilmour further forwards and that might solve our lack of creativity.

Lastly, we need to find a striker who is going to score plenty should we end up getting relegated. Pukki is getting on a bit now and we need to future plan. The answer might be Idah if he loan goes well but I’m not sure he’s going to make it. I’d like to be wrong but we’ll see.  Maybe see if we can loan Blackburn Idah in exchange for Brereton-Diaz and a bit of cash? Or Joel Piroe off Swansea?

What do you think? 

Basically, I disagree, especially about selling Giannoulis. For me, we need to make a clear decision: are we going to make a serious attempt at staying up, or are we going to start planning for next year in the Champs? Your list seems to suggest the former, and I'd tend to go for the latter. If it is the latter, we need to keep and give experience to the players we think are going to be around next season, not selling them or loaning them out to buy a couple of expensive DMs on high wages who will be a financial liability if we go down. And I think we can forget Normann - we've managed to spend a lot of money on yet another sicknote.

Edited by canarybubbles

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Sell Gianoulis'

Why on Earth would we sell our best leftback?

Presumably for the same reason he suggests we sell our best right back. I don’t understand why people think we should sell one of most regular and consistent performers in Aaron’s in order to fund a purchase that may or may not work out.

53 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Basically, I disagree, especially about selling Giannoulis. For me, we need to make a clear decision: are we going to make a serious attempt at staying up, or are we going to start planning for next year in the Champs? Your list seems to suggest the former, and I'd tend to go for the latter. If it is the latter, we need to keep and give experience to the players we think are going to be around next season, not selling them or loaning them out to buy a couple of expensive DMs on high wages who will be a financial liability if we go down. And I think we can forget Normann - we've managed to spend a lot of money on yet another sicknote.

This is it exactly. Cantwell and Aarons are likeliest to leave to generate funds and if Smith is gutsy enough I hope he sees Gilmour isn't what we need for 2nd half of the seasons, maybe even Kabak, and return both to free up loan spots.

Obviously if we could find a solid CDM, then Gilmour might start to flourish, but that's a big if. 

If we're looking at planning for next season, then Giannoulis has to start every game ahead of Williams, as he'll be our 1st choice next season, and Williams won't be here. If Aarons goes in Jan, them I could see Williams being our RB for remainder of seasons, ahead of Mumba

We desperately need more bite in midfield and someone to score goals they're the priorities. Normann is a difficult one as he's out until Feb at earliest, but if he comes back for final bit and stays fit, he could be a revelation. Depends if we're too far adrift at that point  

Too many changes IMO, we already had a summer of squad disruption and wholesale changes.

I also think Covid has proved we need as many bodies and options as possible.

I think we need to concentrate on 2-3 new additions, especially if Normann is looking like not returning any time soon.

A DM, a striker and a creative player would be on my shopping list.

While I’m uncomfortable with the idea it probably means selling Aarons if 2 or all are permanent moves.

I’d loan Idah out if we get a striker in, potentially as part of the deal if a Championship striker.

Other than that I don’t agree with any of the rest of your outgoings.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Sell Gianoulis'

Because our manager for some reason doesn't think he's our best left back and I doubt he wants to waste his career warming the bench

I caught a comment from MB on Boxing Day, where he pretty much said no one will arrive in January. We went for it in the summer, and that's it!

The injuries to Rashica and Normann have been catastrophic to our chances. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Can’t remember last time idah scored for country or us , just can’t seem to find the net . 

Never forget. Had such high hopes. Feel there is still a decent footballer in there just sitting on the bench most of the time does not help him. Should have been loaned out when we brought in Sargent.

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I caught a comment from MB on Boxing Day, where he pretty much said no one will arrive in January. We went for it in the summer, and that's it!

The injuries to Rashica and Normann have been catastrophic to our chances. 

If that happens I’d change my mind and think Webber does deserve to go. 

It’s painfully obvious that both this squad needs help and our summer business wasn’t good enough. We aren’t completely cut adrift so to do nothing would be utterly negligent.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never forget. Had such high hopes. Feel there is still a decent footballer in there just sitting on the bench most of the time does not help him. Should have been loaned out when we brought in Sargent.

No, Webber should have been loaned out when we brought in Sargent.

Idah will be league one/bottom champs striker at best. 

selling Aaron’s would see us weakened and there is zero chance of us attracting an equally decent player at present. It would be a negative step but entirely in keeping with our farcical ‘model’ wherein we sacrifice rising stars and cash in on them in order to train future players for better clubs…

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Sell Gianoulis'

Because Smith doesn't rate him.

We sold Emi and he was the best player at the club.

It's the model I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Because Smith doesn't rate him.

We sold Emi and he was the best player at the club.

It's the model I'm afraid.

Or prehaps Gini was not fully fit or Williams has a 'has to appear a certain number of times' clause.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

We have 20 gsmes left. It would be pathetic and idiotic to write this season off now. Incredibly it is still possible for us to stay up if we can get on a bit of a run. 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or prehaps Gini was not fully fit or Williams has a 'has to appear a certain number of times' clause.

Possibly but he is a Greek international and technically looks capable of playing at a higher level.

I think the club would listen to listen offers especially with Williams, Byram and Mumba as cover.

We have to generate funds so that Smith can build his own squad. Frustrating but that's where we are. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Possibly but he is a Greek international and technically looks capable of playing at a higher level.

I think the club would listen to listen offers especially with Williams, Byram and Mumba as cover.

We have to generate funds so that Smith can build his own squad. Frustrating but that's where we are. 

I will admit the fact we have yet to see much of a Giannoulis and Tzolis both starting on the left link up given how well they know each other is a bit odd, more so with Cantwell and Rashica being out

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Sell our best players to get more money for Webber to spaff up a wall? No thanks.

Aarons and Giannoulis are two of our players who look at least capable of performing in the lower half of the Prem.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Sell our best players to get more money for Webber to spaff up a wall? No thanks.

Aarons and Giannoulis are two of our players who look at least capable of performing in the lower half of the Prem.

We don't need 4 left backs when we have only one striker and no midfield.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Sell Gianoulis'

Because his stock abroad would still be quite high and could generate some reasonable cash.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We don't need 4 left backs when we have only one striker and no midfield.

You should have told Webber that when he arranged the Williams loan.

Dowell has done nothing at PL level.

If we sold Aarons, Williams can cover RB as that’s his proper position.  

Selling Cantwell I admit is a tough one if he’s not playing well.

If we sold Aarons obviously the need to sell Gianoulis is less as he can play LB in place of Williams.

Idah should have definately gone out on loan when Sargent came in but that’s all in hindsight.

I don’t see us letting Kabak go as a decent CD will cost quite a bit and block Big Andy’s growth next season.

I don’t see Smith playing Tzolis at the moment although I think he’ll come good next season. Loan him out to build up some confidence and save wages and get a loan fee in for him.

We are not going to survive without a decent DM. This person will make the CB’s look more steady, give the full backs more confidence to bomb forward which in turn should make us more dangerous going forwards.

I like Normann, if we can get him fit and push him further forwards I can see him really pulling the strings.  

So ultimately, apart from letting some fringe players build up some confidence, we’re letting one saleable first teamer go to fund a new DM or two. We have enough fringe players left over to cover the others leaving and they’ll play more and be more match ready when they are called upon.

Edited by Jersey Canary