Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Should Webber be sacked if/when we get relegated?

Should Webber be sacked if/when we get relegated?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should Webber be sacked if/when we get relegated?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

46 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I think aarons will be sold january. Hopefully we invest that potential money more wisely. 

Who's going to spend big money on him? He's been absolutely appalling this season 

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Who's going to spend big money on him? He's been absolutely appalling this season 

I didn’t mention big money. I could see Newcastle, Everton or a foreign team paying 18 million for him. I’d take that. 

I don’t trust Webber anymore unfortunately, and I lay the blame for the horror show that is this season solely at his feet. He should go at the end of the season.

Up until this season, I couldn’t say a bad word about him, and I truly believed we had someone at the helm who was destined for bigger, better things. Yes there was questionable recruitment around the 19/20 PL season, but I put that down solely to our financial situation, which was something that club and Webber himself also repeated. It would be different this time, he said.

And.... it isn’t different. If anything, it’s worse. We’ve spaffed 50 million quid on a heap of rubbish. Our best signing is a crocked loan player who’s played barely a handful of games. We sold arguably our best ever player (at least in modern times) who we all knew made us tick, and didn’t replace him. We also all knew we needed a Skipp replacement, and we didn’t even get one. The signings we did make are not even anywhere near Premier League quality. It’s inexcusable, it really is. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

No it wasn’t. Which is why I said “more wisely.”

I’d rather the Pink Un ran a competition for one of us lot to get their hands on the transfer kitty for January than let Webber do it again. I’ve lost complete faith in his dealings at this level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I didn’t mention big money. I could see Newcastle, Everton or a foreign team paying 18 million for him. I’d take that. 

18 million is massive money for him based on top flight performances, I can't see us getting more than 5 or 6 million. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

18 million is massive money for him based on top flight performances, I can't see us getting more than 5 or 6 million. 

I genuinely don't know if this is tongue in cheek.

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Hahaha don’t be silly. Aarons is clearly worth more than 5 or 6 million. In fact, I think he’s been unfairly scapegoated this season. For me he’s been one of our better performers. Yes he hasn’t quite reached the highs this season that we know he’s capable of, but you can’t really blame him too much when he’s having to play alongside the complete shower that makes up most of our squad. 

He’s still a 20 million pound player in this day and age, if not more. He shouldn’t be of course, but that’s football nowadays isn’t it. He’s 21 and has played over 150 professional matches, half of which have come in the Premier League. He’ll have suitors across all the top European leagues, as he has done every transfer window over the past 3 seasons. 

To suggest he’s just worth 5 million is an insult to him. He’s a top player, the best RB we’ve had since Edworthy and twice the player Jamal Lewis is who was seen as his equal on the opposite side. 

And no, this isn’t tongue in cheek. Aarons is the one player we have who is actually worth something, and will 100% go on to bigger things than us.

Edited by Hoolahoop14

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

No, it's more ' head up 'Arris' territory....  Hairyo is a  bit cross.

4 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Definitely not tongue-in-cheek, in the summer we could have easily got the 20 million claimed, I actually don't think he's even worth 5 million now as I don't believe anyone will want him, he's been that out of his depth. 

Claims he could play for England, especially with the competition in his position is laughable. 

However as Corky correctly states, I am on a massive downer about our club currently 😂

Well we can't sack the owners and that debate is all a bit pointless given that I don't believe anyone will be getting the pitch forks out anytime soon.

(yes, yes they don't look for buyers, they did an interview once and all that jazz, but that debate has been had many times and none of us know either way in reality.)

So I suppose you have to judge Webber on the following:

Do you believe the budget means we can stay up? If no then it's probably unfair to sack him.

If yes, do you think it was the signings that were the primary reason we will probably go down? If no then probably not.

If yes, then was it just a blip; or can he not take us any further in future.

Thats basically the only question worth asking. Personally, I think he could get is re-promoted, but I don't understand how Sargent was identified as a premier league player or how he intended the balance of that midfield to work. I just can't see the logic and that's the issue for me.

Edited by 1902

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Definitely not tongue-in-cheek, in the summer we could have easily got the 20 million claimed, I actually don't think he's even worth 5 million now as I don't believe anyone will want him, he's been that out of his depth. 

Claims he could play for England, especially with the competition in his position is laughable. 

However as Corky correctly states, I am on a massive downer about our club currently 😂

Fair enough, I must admit my own usually fairly bouyant view of the club isn't what it once was.

Never underestimate the power of the premier league to pay through the nose though.

• Like 1

Not long after writing "Webber out" on another thread, I can't quite bring myself to vote "yes" because his replacement will be Neil Adams, and he thought it was good idea to sign and play Kyle Lafferty as a "wide target man", a role that pretty much only existed on Football Manager because Morecame played that way with Kevin Ellison in League Two.

So I have a real fear that Neil Adams is going to use Football Manager to identify his signings. 

Neil Adams is the Webber successor, Neil f*cking Adams, how can we possibly be excited by that? Does anybody really think he's going to be a good Sporting Director?

I don't even understand how he's a club legend, was bang average on the pitch, one good season in the second tier and four bang average seasons, no seasons which brought success. Seems to have become a club legend on the strength of being a decent radio show host, well so is Danny Murphy but doesn't mean he should get a serious job in football.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

He was Fantastic when he first came but after the Success he started on about how he was going to leave when his contract was up etc 

When someone at the Top keeps on about how he is going to leave the club it can not be a good thing 

if i owned the club i would say if you want to leave go now i want people here who are here for long term success 

i think the only reason he stayed is because the opportunities that he thought would come after his success disappeared

he says his next job will not be in football but if he had done as well as he thought and a big club came knocking i am sure he would be there quicker than a sherry gets downed in the board room 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not long after writing "Webber out" on another thread, I can't quite bring myself to vote "yes" because his replacement will be Neil Adams, and he thought it was good idea to sign and play Kyle Lafferty as a "wide target man", a role that pretty much only existed on Football Manager because Morecame played that way with Kevin Ellison in League Two.

So I have a real fear that Neil Adams is going to use Football Manager to identify his signings. 

Neil Adams is the Webber successor, Neil f*cking Adams, how can we possibly be excited by that? Does anybody really think he's going to be a good Sporting Director?

Neil is good at football matters but a DOF has to have a nasty streak to do deals and that is where i worry for Neil 

Where  would we be if Webber had never joined the club? I guess we’ll never know, but we mustn’t forget all the good stuff he’s done compared to where we were when he joined. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Absolutely nobody should kid themselves that were getting big money for him , defensively not good I've defended him in the past ,but doesn't seem to be learning that side of his game , and also not such an attacking force at prem level . 😙

There’s been plenty of criticism over the sale of Buendia but there had also been plenty of talk about the sale of him, Aarons, and Cantwell over the past two years - we always knew they were going to go and I do think the sale of him back in the summer could prove to be vital for the near future

Sargent and Tzolis - I know we weren’t able to sign established PL players but signing a 21 and 19 year old striker and winger from foreign teams seems quite strange for a newly promoted side. How much longer does Pukki have left in him and will Cantwell be with us though? No saying that they will cut it next season but I do believe they will benefit massively from a season in the Championship 

Gunn - I think Krul still has two more left in him but McGovern enters his final year next season so who was lined up to replace him? Barden doesn’t have much experience so we sign a 25 year old keeper with good Championship experience

Lees-Melou - As he is experienced, I do think he was signed in a bid for survival. Can’t cut it at this level but I do think will do well in the Championship

Rashica - only signing who seems able to cut it at this level but I think he is supposed to be Buendia’s replacement

8 hours ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Hahaha don’t be silly. Aarons is clearly worth more than 5 or 6 million. In fact, I think he’s been unfairly scapegoated this season. For me he’s been one of our better performers. Yes he hasn’t quite reached the highs this season that we know he’s capable of, but you can’t really blame him too much when he’s having to play alongside the complete shower that makes up most of our squad. 

He’s still a 20 million pound player in this day and age, if not more. He shouldn’t be of course, but that’s football nowadays isn’t it. He’s 21 and has played over 150 professional matches, half of which have come in the Premier League. He’ll have suitors across all the top European leagues, as he has done every transfer window over the past 3 seasons. 

To suggest he’s just worth 5 million is an insult to him. He’s a top player, the best RB we’ve had since Edworthy and twice the player Jamal Lewis is who was seen as his equal on the opposite side. 

And no, this isn’t tongue in cheek. Aarons is the one player we have who is actually worth something, and will 100% go on to bigger things than us.

Yes, Aarons has been a bit disappointing this season, although certainly no worse than anyone else. He looks in need of a new challenge to me.

Also, in previous seasons he was often working alongside Buendia down that wing; this season he's often working with Sargent. Surely that partly explains Max's fall-off in form?

10 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

He was Fantastic when he first came but after the Success he started on about how he was going to leave when his contract was up etc 

When someone at the Top keeps on about how he is going to leave the club it can not be a good thing 

if i owned the club i would say if you want to leave go now i want people here who are here for long term success 

i think the only reason he stayed is because the opportunities that he thought would come after his success disappeared

he says his next job will not be in football but if he had done as well as he thought and a big club came knocking i am sure he would be there quicker than a sherry gets downed in the board room 

Agree exactly. I hated those comments by Webber. That smacked of a puffed up arrogance that should have stayed behind the closed doors of the Boardroom. To make such comments in the public domain was a disgrace.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agree exactly. I hated those comments by Webber. That smacked of a puffed up arrogance that should have stayed behind the closed doors of the Boardroom. To make such comments in the public domain was a disgrace.   

Thanks. You've finally made me decide how to vote. I was very aware of all the benefits Webber has brought to the club, and I was also wary of who might replace him (better the devil you know). But this belief that he is doing the club a favour by even being here is very likely the reason that he has failed so utterly over the last twelve months. He's started to believe his own publicity, so things will only get worse, not better, if he stays.

He wants to leave anyway, his last video I’m sure he said that he’s on a year rolling contract. And if the the right club comes in the club won’t get in his way. 

34 minutes ago, Payno10 said:

He wants to leave anyway, his last video I’m sure he said that he’s on a year rolling contract. And if the the right club comes in the club won’t get in his way. 

Well, he wants to go to Liverpool. I hear there's a vacancy at Tranmere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't even understand how he's a club legend, was bang average on the pitch, one good season in the second tier and four bang average seasons, no seasons which brought success. Seems to have become a club legend on the strength of being a decent radio show host, well so is Danny Murphy but doesn't mean he should get a serious job in football.

I cannot remember the name but I seem to think Villa used just such a tall player in that role several years ago, and Liverpool more recently with Dirk Kuyt? And it is only an assumption that Adams will succeed Webber. One made by other posters, but as far as I am aware  without any hard factual basis.

For me the comment he made regarding  that  he was to blame for the first relegation as his teams ‘recruitment left Farke with one hand tied behind his back,’ beggars belief!

What the hell has he and his team done this second  time round. ‘applied the handcuffs’!

and he made Farke the scapegoat in sacking him, and he  now wants Smith to save his bacon!

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Thanks. You've finally made me decide how to vote. I was very aware of all the benefits Webber has brought to the club, and I was also wary of who might replace him (better the devil you know). But this belief that he is doing the club a favour by even being here is very likely the reason that he has failed so utterly over the last twelve months. He's started to believe his own publicity, so things will only get worse, not better, if he stays.

like most things when he has had money things have gone wrong on the playing side 

when he had no money his signings were better for some reason 

the players he bought this season are worse than the players he bought for less than 2 to 4 million or even free agents 

crazy when you look at it that way 

the players he bought the first season i am sure would play better than the team of today 

4 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

A 60 mill spend at this level isn't enough to be fair.

i get that but it seems the more we give him the worse his signings get Sargent for that money the two wingers and Gunn for 5 mil 

good job we didn't give him more 

his 60mil spend is now worth 15 to 20 mil in value 

Its a good job this forum doesn't run the club.

Sack Webber for who? Every club in the championship would take him - there's plenty bigger clubs below who would, and have paid hundreds of millions just to have had half the time in the prem we have recently.

Our club will still be in a fantastic position next season in comparison to the huge majority of similarly sized clubs and Webber is just as responsible for that as he is for the poor transfer window in the summer (which for most on here is with the benefit of hindsight anyway)

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Its a good job this forum doesn't run the club.

Sack Webber for who? Every club in the championship would take him - there's plenty bigger clubs below who would, and have paid hundreds of millions just to have had half the time in the prem we have recently.

Our club will still be in a fantastic position next season in comparison to the huge majority of similarly sized clubs and Webber is just as responsible for that as he is for the poor transfer window in the summer (which for most on here is with the benefit of hindsight anyway)

Agree with you Hoggy. I know he’s got rather unpopular amongst most fans for how he’s done with the PL but I think after what he achieved by signing Krul, Buendia, Pukki etc too much was expected of him

Although I was expecting Webber to manage our finances so that we have no need to sell next summer, I’m not very convinced after  spending £60m and am getting concerned about what our situation will be next season

3 hours ago, City 2nd said:

For me the comment he made regarding  that  he was to blame for the first relegation as his teams ‘recruitment left Farke with one hand tied behind his back,’ beggars belief!

What the hell has he and his team done this second  time round. ‘applied the handcuffs’!

and he made Farke the scapegoat in sacking him, and he  now wants Smith to save his bacon!

Smith’s inability to get anything out of this bunch of misfits is a clear indication that Webber is responsible for the dire situation we’re in. The recruitment aside, someone is responsible for deciding Idah is good enough as a back up premier league striker, that McLean is good enough when last time he wasn’t same goes for Hanley, for Gibson it’s a case of not good enough for relegation rivals but good enough for us.

We haven’t signed any Premier league quality players and I doubt that really Webber thought we had. We signed players who we think will get us back up the following season to deliver yet another premier league payday. 

How could players not good enough to keep their team in the Bundesliga be good enough in the premier league. We signed players on the way down. And for a reason. Nothing about this campaign leads me to believe we intended to stay up. We’ve gone for players who can bounce us back hopefully. Most city fans being what they are will accept that if it happens. The danger is when or if it doesn’t and we slip out of that cycle.