Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Should Webber be sacked if/when we get relegated?

Should Webber be sacked if/when we get relegated?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should Webber be sacked if/when we get relegated?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Because he sure does not seem very popular right now, and fair to say his comments about us having 'spaffed money up the wall in past seasons' is coming back to haunt him and all..

CC maybe should have had a third box to tick (or now )

• Like 1

I don’t see the point personally. Even if he’s failed in the goal of keeping us up again, it’s not been his only contribution and it’s not like there isn’t mitigation.

That said our transfer business in hindsight has been poor again, although I think in context it’s not as poor as some are making out and not like he hand picks these guys. Scouting team seem at least equally culpable to me and who knows what Farke’s input was.

• Like 1

So when he's sacked and we're still not an established Premier League side which individual gets scapegoated next? Probably Dean Smith???

Tragic to see some fans's impatience resulting in a turning of the pistols on the very people who actually built this new era. First Farke, now Webber ...... we're cannibalising because we're 3 points from survival in the richest league on planet Earth with half the season still to play - crazy times.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 2

He will no doubt pocket another bonus for balancing the books. The amount he and his wife have been earning from the club over the last two or three years is quite something. No doubt his new rolling contract that he blessed us all with is equally lucrative. 

But no I don’t think he should be sacked. He does, however, need to acknowledge that he has messed up big time (again) and do all in can to rectify it starting next week. 

Edited by Jim Smith

5 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

So when he's sacked and we're still not an established Premier League side which individual gets scapegoated next? Probably Dean Smith???

Tragic to see some fans's impatience resulting in a turning of the pistols on the very people who actually built this new era. First Farke, now Webber ......

So you must be one that thinks handing out a very appealing four year contract to the previous coaching staff was a good move. No it was irresponsible after the failure the time before. That cost the club good money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

But no I don’t think he should be sacked. He does, however, need to acknowledge that he has messed up big time (again) and do all in can to rectify it starting next week. 

I agree, I’d like some humility from Webber an idea of what he’s looking to do to improve things.

5 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Tragic to see some fans's impatience resulting in a turning of the pistols on the very people who actually built this new era. First Farke, now Webber ...... we're cannibalising because we're 3 points from survival in the richest league on planet Earth with half the season still to play - crazy times.

You missed the Arsenal game then.

And people have to acknowledge that we, luckily for us, have had EPL money eight out of the last 10 seasons. Thats what enables us, WBA, Fulham now Bournemouth to give themselves a better than even chance of getting promoted. You can't have it both ways. (Maybe not you personally of course). We can't moan about the big clubs money and drop to the Championship with a £40M bonus.

Just now, Monty13 said:

I agree, I’d like some humility from Webber an idea of what he’s looking to do to improve things.

He’s made himself look a bit foolish with criticising the previous regimes money spending in the Prem and his call to arms this season, stating the top 17 aim. 

Definitely not completely culpable for the failings on pitch so far though. Just a perfect s!!t storm of poor recruitment, injuries, Covid and too much fundamental change to the starting 11. 

My bigger concern is where our usual player sales for big return is going to come from should we go down. And whether Smith will be as proactive in promoting youth like Farke was. 

There's this old saying about babies and bathwater etc.

The summer recruitment has been terrible. Webber has some responsibility for that. However, it's also fair to say that the financial constraints forced us to shop in certain markets which were always going to be risky for recruiting PL quality. I also think that the strategy of going for 20-21 year old players hoping that they will appreciate in value at some stage and turn a profit was to the detriment of our short term goal of being competitive this season. 

So Webber has of course to shoulder some blame. 

But he's also done a hell of a lot of good for this club, and in reality we would be hard pressed to get anyone as good as him, let alone someone better. 

Acknowledge the mistakes but then move on and try to do better next summer.

• Like 8

There seems to be a general feeling that Farke had taken us as far as he could because he couldn't do it at Prem level. But if this is true of Farke, isn't it also true of Webber? He's dined out on appointing Farke and recruiting Pukki and Buendia for four years now, and his performance since we got promoted this time around has been abject. Sacking Farke without having any replacement set up (except for the possible nightmare appointment of Lampard). Not recruiting for the position we desperately needed, a need which every fan recognised as essential. Getting in loans which were unnecessary just because the players involved came from big clubs. Spaffing 9m on a player who lacks even the most rudimentary footballing skills because he thinks technology can replace a scout actually watching a player in real games. Hiring a player with a serious injury record who will probably never play for us again. Spaffing 5m on a back-up goalie when we have loads of promising young keepers.

Webber has done a very good job of puffing up his own reputation, but the cracks are there to see now. The only way he is going to realise his dream of working in Liverpool is if Tranmere Rovers need a Director of Football.

I don't really care anymore.

We know what's coming and we know nothing will change higher up the food chain so it will just be a case of moving the furniture around before another Championship season and denying that anyone would ever want to by the club.

Edited by Nora's Ghost

Depends on January for me. If he can get a couple of the right players in and we make a good fight of the rest of the season, then keep him. If there’s no improvement after the January window then I wouldn’t want him in charge of another transfer window. 

Wasn’t he due to go this year anyway? Surely had the right gig come up he’d have jumped!

1 minute ago, vlad666 said:

Depends on January for me. If he can get a couple of the right players in and we make a good fight of the rest of the season, then keep him. If there’s no improvement after the January window then I wouldn’t want him in charge of another transfer window. 

He stated at the AGM there would not be much movement if any in the January window.

Farke was sacked by his total failure to organise the talent at his disposal.

Webber should be sacked for spending the biggest transfer budget in the club's history on utter dross. He said he would go for quality over quantity and then did the exact opposite.

If you sack one but not the other then you lose all integrity tbh. 

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farke was sacked by his total failure to organise the talent at his disposal.

Webber should be sacked for spending the biggest transfer budget in the club's history on utter dross. He said he would go for quality over quantity and then did the exact opposite.

If you sack one but not the other then you lose all integrity tbh. 

What about the owners? When do they get the white hanky treatment? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Next season if we aren't in contention for promotion.

57 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Not recruiting for the position we desperately needed, a need which every fan recognised as essential.

He's done that twice now. Not getting a CB or two in two years ago and failing to get a CDM this year when it was patently obvious to everyone that it was our most pressing requirements remains completely and utterly baffling.

It's a tough one. I've been calling for his head for some time, or at least an alternative approach where he doesn't have such control over all aspects of the club. 

He has done some great stuff for the club, from improving the atmosphere for staff, to appointing Farke, developing our infrastructure to helping create a model of investing and developing young players. 

However, in his role he needs to ultimately be judged on developing our status and establishing us as a premier league club, which he has failed at. In recent times pre Webber we have made a decent fist of the prem and without spending anywhere near the money the has done. I don't believe the Premier league is a better standard than it was 6 or so years ago.

His approach to recruitment in the prem has been totally flawed,  buying unproven players from weaker foreign leagues with the hope of increasing their future transfer fee, in turn establishing us as a "self-funded" club. Not to mention the amount of money which has been spent on loan fees. I believe by buying more experienced players (be it prem league or championship players) we would have had a far better shot at staying up. One season of staying up would help our finances far more than hoping we hit it right woth a couple of the young signings who are looking to use us as a stepping stone and who we can eventually sell for 30m+ 

It's worth noting that the vast majority of the money Webber has been able to spend has derived from selling players signed under the previous regime.

A lot of young academy players have been signed by Webber as well and it will be hard to judge whether this has paid of for another couple of season, is there an Aarons or Godfrey who is going to come through in the next couple of seasons? 

So ultimately I would make a change to freshen the approach up in the summer. I have major concerns about the quality of the squad to mount a top 2 challenge next season, despite the amount of money which has been spent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

I think this is key. He needs to somehow own up to the quality of the players he signed not being up to it whilst not upsetting those same players who no doubt will still be in the building next year. Tricky to get the messaging right on that. I'm also not convinced they will be good enough in the Championship next year.

By sacking Farke he essentially blamed him and backed the players... what does he do now, sack Smith? Or admit he has made two mistakes this year in signing bad players and sacking a broadly successful manager trying to work with those bad players?

I don't think I'm at the point where Im calling for his head, however I need to hear him answering some serious questions about this summer and how we went about identifying the targets we landed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That would require FCR natives to actually 'have the balls' to carry out such action, timid though it may be. Unfortunately FCR has (since the day she was proclaimed Queen back in 1996) been utterly enthralled by The Cook and her chain smoking husband. The deference which they (and especially she) have been shown for 25 years now is stomach wrenching. Even Chairman Mao would have been surprised at the level of complete and utter obedience. Decades pass and thousands of natives now attend FCR who cannot comprehend the possibility of 'LBD'. In their world there is simply 'no alternative' and to speak of other possibilities is akin to 'counter revolutionary talk' which must be stamped out. It is truly dispiriting to watch as with every match the cameras pan to the owners who now never seem to be remotely enjoying the experience but are just 'grimly hanging on to their toy'. In any other walk of life someone would gently take them to one side and say...........'thanks very much but it's over' . Oh how I pray for that day to come!    

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

He stated at the AGM there would not be much movement if any in the January window.

I think aarons will be sold january. Hopefully we invest that potential money more wisely. 

8 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I think aarons will be sold january. Hopefully we invest that potential money more wisely. 

Ha, seriously? Like the money over summer was reinvested wisely?! 

23 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Ha, seriously? Like the money over summer was reinvested wisely?! 

No it wasn’t. Which is why I said “more wisely.”