Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Just how important was Emi?

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

It does help if you read the post you’re replying to. Otherwise it makes you seem a bit dim, fella.

I think you are very dim indeed  my friend . Grow up and move on . And give yourself a little squirt of your WD40. Personally I'm fed up about talking about past players 😴 who contribute nothing to the here and now. 

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I spent most of the summer laughing at people suggesting that Emi was our best ever player. Not even in the top 10, in my opinion. He never did it for us in the top division and isn't doing it for Villa despite being with better players and being paid three times as much. Emi is a great Championship player and is proving he is, at best, an average PL player. £33m for him was almost as good as getting £20m+ for Godfrey. 

Of the players we have developed and sold in recent years only Maddison has proven to be worth the money we got for him.

Losing Normann and Rashica has been the problem for Smith, just as both were starting to play. Our summer window wasn't horrendous, the gap in squad strength is just too huge to bridge in one or two windows.

I never spend to long trying to compare players from different eras as nigh on impossible, however I stand by the comment that Emi was our best and most important player in last years team and the team looks lost currently without him.

I always want to be optimistic and agree we are bizarrely only 3 points of safety but the lack of goals and inability to defend makes you feel that Smith will have to pull off a miracle to turn it around. Part of that miracle would have to be changing some players in January.

my main worry as a fan is the complete loss of identity as a team. The team that went up under Farke the first time played some magnificent football, even in the premier to start with but this version looks lost. To be totally honest right now, you would take Hernandez, stipermann, Vrancic, Trybull, Tettey and Leitner back in the squad because they could all play (and Tettey is probably still better than any defensive midfielders at the club).

still onwards and upwards, praying for a Xmas miracle! 

Edited by Big O