Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Just how important was Emi?

Guess the person best qualified to answer that is Pukki!

I know the old saying that one man does not make a team, but without him this season makes me question that.

Poor old Pukki is lost without the assists by Emi.  The team as a whole misses his goals.

That transfer is going to cost us dearly. He had a further year or two under contract here, should have been made to stay at least until this next window. At least then we would have known how we were shaping up.

Fact is the club could not wait to sell him and grab the money. Here we are a few months later knowing that that transfer money has gone down the drain.

Next season we will not be able to sell anyone, who would buy any of them. We are left with a lot of players who have diminished in value , as we clearly paid over the odds for such a lot of untested players at this level.

Your post is utter rubbish.

Just to remind you - last time in the Premier League - with Buendia in the side - we finished bottom and were relegated with 21 points. Buendia scored precisely one goal in the Premier League season.

Buendia wanted to go - indeed we did well to hold onto him for the Championship season. And everybody could see that he was one of the stroppiest players we've ever had. The idea that if we'd refused to let him go at the end of last season he would have just accepted it and got on with it is laughable. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just to remind you - last time in the Premier League - with Buendia in the side - we finished bottom and were relegated with 21 points. Buendia scored precisely one goal in the Premier League season.

Buendia wanted to go - indeed we did well to hold onto him for the Championship season. And everybody could see that he was one of the stroppiest players we've ever had. The idea that if we'd refused to let him go at the end of last season he would have just accepted it and got on with it is laughable. 

How correct you are TL. Utter rubbish. The repetitive cherry picking opportunist posts on here about the past are nauseating and invalid. 

• Like 1

Emi isn't exactly setting the Prem alight at Villa with better players around him.

He looks very lightweight in the EPL as he did last time with us.

Edited by duke63

Buendia was going, end of. It has been made clear he wanted to go and I suspect the rumours regarding him stating he would not play for us again were correct. The money we received was excellent, given the circumstances.

That he was magnificent (in the championship) and one of the best ever players I have seen in our colours should not confuse the situation ref his desire to leave. The snake pit echoed my thoughts on him at the end of the villa game, good on them. There was not a single simple chance he would have been turning out in our team this season. 

Would he have kept us up if he stayed and most of the others we signed had still be signed? I doubt it. 

Our single biggest obvious, in your face mistake was not dealing with the CDM issue which we knew of for at least the last two seasons and the striking issue which has been looming for a while. Almost as criminal as not dealing with the CD issues last time in the PL.

Pushing the boat out for two or three marquee signings in these areas may have helped, instead of 11 untested, expensive also rans.

• Like 1

Pukki has 5 goals this season the same as Toney more than 20 million man Adam Armstrong and Che Adams.

All those mentioned play in better teams. 

Yes, he was always going to go, but by God we miss him. It's not just that the supply line to Pukki has more or less completely dried up, it's Aarons being much less effective this season without him down that wing, plus the porous nature of our midfield because none of the current crop gets back to defend like he did. He's an enormous gap and there's no point denying it.

We didn't need emi, we needed Rashica to have a similar impact for us as he had for Bremen in his first two seasons there. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way.

I think we miss Skipp more, currently our midfield is too passive, and we do not have a player to make things happen. 

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 1

Of course he was important but how important was Chris Sutton to Norwich -  Buendia has gone get over it and let’s stop these posts about him he was gonna leave at some point anyway

Emi was quite simply our best and most important player and we look a shadow of a team worth out him. He was the player who could always get on the ball, keep it in tight situations and he made other players look better. Obviously he and Pukki had a good link up but also did with Max and Todd was able to get in those pockets because someone had the ability to find him. If you add all of that to his tenacity and goals/assist output then he was irreplaceable.

it is easy with hindsight to moan but it is pretty clear now that our summer window was horrendous. We didn’t replace Emi or Skipp effectively and seem to have completely lost out style, we carry zero threat going forward. That has to be laid at the door of Webber, (who overall has done a good job, as he will definitely leave the club in better health than he found it) as the squad is nowhere near competitive. For Norwich to stand a chance we would need to be bringing players of the quality of Normann, Rashica and Williams to add to the last season squad. Like the other thread on Kenny McClean, our aim should have been to find atleast 2 midfielders better than him as a minimum but we’re not close, as for the c£20m spent on Sargent and Tzolis very odd in terms of trying to keep in the division even if they do have potential and hopefully rip the championship up.

thoroughly disappointing, praying that Smith gets an opportunity to shape the squad because this team has not a chance in hell. 

• Like 2

Was always going to leave as mentioned and I think that anger/frustration clouds judgement on him. Was a superb player for us and was the heart of the team. You only need to look at results when he wasn't in the side to see that. Also was he not one of the top creative players in the PL last time? In the Champs he could win games single handedly. In the PL he needs a little support and let's face it he was one or two levels above anyone else in the side. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If people think the problem yesterday was not having Emi Buendia in our side then its probably time to close this forum and wrap up fan discussion. 

People citing his poor performance for us last time in the EPL are ignoring the fact that he has improved since then-look at his stats in the Championship-8 goals and 12 assists in 2018/19, 15 goals and 17 assists in 2020/21-and we scored 18 fewer goals in 20/21. I have no doubt that if he had stayed this season he would have improved on his 1 goal and 7 assists in 2019/20-the problem is that we have not found anyone to replace either his goals or assists.

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

People citing his poor performance for us last time in the EPL are ignoring the fact that he has improved since then-look at his stats in the Championship-8 goals and 12 assists in 2018/19, 15 goals and 17 assists in 2020/21-and we scored 18 fewer goals in 20/21. I have no doubt that if he had stayed this season he would have improved on his 1 goal and 7 assists in 2019/20-the problem is that we have not found anyone to replace either his goals or assists.

Are you on a wind up!!@@@ move on your in the big league now 

Reality not f##king history lessons.

4 hours ago, Big O said:

Emi was quite simply our best and most important player and we look a shadow of a team worth out him. He was the player who could always get on the ball, keep it in tight situations and he made other players look better. Obviously he and Pukki had a good link up but also did with Max and Todd was able to get in those pockets because someone had the ability to find him. If you add all of that to his tenacity and goals/assist output then he was irreplaceable.

it is easy with hindsight to moan but it is pretty clear now that our summer window was horrendous. We didn’t replace Emi or Skipp effectively and seem to have completely lost out style, we carry zero threat going forward. That has to be laid at the door of Webber, (who overall has done a good job, as he will definitely leave the club in better health than he found it) as the squad is nowhere near competitive. For Norwich to stand a chance we would need to be bringing players of the quality of Normann, Rashica and Williams to add to the last season squad. Like the other thread on Kenny McClean, our aim should have been to find atleast 2 midfielders better than him as a minimum but we’re not close, as for the c£20m spent on Sargent and Tzolis very odd in terms of trying to keep in the division even if they do have potential and hopefully rip the championship up.

thoroughly disappointing, praying that Smith gets an opportunity to shape the squad because this team has not a chance in hell. 

I spent most of the summer laughing at people suggesting that Emi was our best ever player. Not even in the top 10, in my opinion. He never did it for us in the top division and isn't doing it for Villa despite being with better players and being paid three times as much. Emi is a great Championship player and is proving he is, at best, an average PL player. £33m for him was almost as good as getting £20m+ for Godfrey. 

Of the players we have developed and sold in recent years only Maddison has proven to be worth the money we got for him.

Losing Normann and Rashica has been the problem for Smith, just as both were starting to play. Our summer window wasn't horrendous, the gap in squad strength is just too huge to bridge in one or two windows.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

and isn't doing it for Villa despite being with better players and being paid three times as much. Emi is a great Championship player and is proving he is, at best, an average PL player.

You may be right, but I think he deserves at least a season before your damning assessment is proved true.

Post is right that Pukki is pretty lost without Emi, he doesn’t have those balls being slipped through. But I agree no chance of keeping Emi this season.

The issue was not investing wisely, but especially not where it was needed to keep Pukki’s supply line. And a bit of bite in midfield. 

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

You may be right, but I think he deserves at least a season before your damning assessment is proved true.

Who gives a f###k what he does at Villa. He's history at Norwich. Which is what he wanted.

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Post is right that Pukki is pretty lost without Emi, he doesn’t have those balls being slipped through. But I agree no chance of keeping Emi this season.

The issue was not investing wisely, but especially not where it was needed to keep Pukki’s supply line. And a bit of bite in midfield. 

Again your talking championship $h#te.

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

Again your talking championship $h#te.

Which part please?

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Which part please?

They probably still talk to each other on Twatter or whatever. History tells you all .sing when your winning  championship style.

Just to remind you - last time in the Premier League - with Buendia in the side - we finished bottom and were relegated with 21 points. Buendia scored precisely one goal in the Premier League season.

Buendia wanted to go - indeed we did well to hold onto him for the Championship season. And everybody could see that he was one of the stroppiest players we've ever had. The idea that if we'd refused to let him go at the end of last season he would have just accepted it and got on with it is laughable. 

He made or scored 8 goals last time he was in the PL with us. That’s just direct goal involvements his offensive stats were really good that season.

The whole team has only scored 8 goals in half a season without him.

I think both camps are in the right in this debate in some way in that he wouldn’t have been enough on his own to save us but we are obviously lacking his contributions.

3 minutes ago, Mengo said:

They probably still talk to each other on Twatter or whatever. History tells you all .sing when your winning  championship style.

Just to remind you - last time in the Premier League - with Buendia in the side - we finished bottom and were relegated with 21 points. Buendia scored precisely one goal in the Premier League season.

Buendia wanted to go - indeed we did well to hold onto him for the Championship season. And everybody could see that he was one of the stroppiest players we've ever had. The idea that if we'd refused to let him go at the end of last season he would have just accepted it and got on with it is laughable. 

Who still talk to each other on twatter? Are you feeling ok fella?

I agree Buendia wanted to go, that’s what I said. There was no chance of keeping him. But we have nowhere near replaced him with the fee that was received. This team is EVEN WORSE than the one that was bottom with 21 points. So the point is valid.

What also gets overlooked is Emi’s defensive work in tracking back. So not only has his direct goal involvements (which was a scarily high number last year) disappeared so has the solidity from wide area. 

I'm mostly worried about how essential he was to our promotions.

I don't know the stats off hand but our record without him was very poor.

I pray that, if we go down, Rashica and Tzolis will be able to bring that magic dust to the Championship.

I mean, we need to forget about him, I agree with that, and I also agree that he would have downed tools if we had refused his transfer to Villa. But that doesn't mean we've filled the huge gap he's left behind.

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

Who still talk to each other on twatter? Are you feeling ok fella?

I agree Buendia wanted to go, that’s what I said. There was no chance of keeping him. But we have nowhere near replaced him with the fee that was received. This team is EVEN WORSE than the one that was bottom with 21 points. So the point is valid.

What also gets overlooked is Emi’s defensive work in tracking back. So not only has his direct goal involvements (which was a scarily high number last year) disappeared so has the solidity from wide area. 

Yeah I'm feeling fine big fella. Its you I'm worried about. We are about to go into a New Year . No looking back eh. Emi is history . It's all irrelevant.  Try and help and think of a good replacement for him in the January 🪟.  There's a good chap.

Could we have made Emi stay here? In theory, I suppose the answer is yes. 

What would the outcome have been? Well we would have been unable to sign half a dozen of the players we did, and we'd have had an immensely unhappy player on our hands. Harry Kane is one of the best strikers on the planet. He was forced to stay at Spurs and has, as a result, contributed 3 goals this season. 

In reality, we had to let Emi go and we got good money for him.

The issue is not Emi leaving, it's been the shocking way in which the money we got for him was spent.

16 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Yeah I'm feeling fine big fella. Its you I'm worried about. We are about to go into a New Year . No looking back eh. Emi is history . It's all irrelevant.  Try and help and think of a good replacement for him in the January 🪟.  There's a good chap.

It does help if you read the post you’re replying to. Otherwise it makes you seem a bit dim, fella.