Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

£50 million quid

We spent £50 million quid and ended up with a team worse than the one we had 2 years ago and without a single upgrade to a first team position. That is quite a special level of total mess up. Board - where are you? Let’s be having you! Come and defend it 

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

When you realise that for every £1m we’ve spent, Arsenal Have probably spent 5 or 10 times as much, you do start to see per of the problem.

And Brentford?

• Like 1

The Problem is also who out of that 50 million will help us next season if we go down ?

Sargent will he score 10/15 goals next season i would not bet on it 

the highly regarded wingers which we have seen nothing from 

least last time we went down we had a team we knew could get us back up as they had done it before this time we have a lot of new players who have shown little 

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

The Problem is also who out of that 50 million will help us next season if we go down ?

least last time we went down we had a team we knew could get us back up as they had done it before this time we have a lot of new players who have shown little 

There is absolutely no point in talking about "getting back up"

Under the current ownership we will never be in a position to be competitive in the PL.

Not Delia's fault, not anybody's fault, that's just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Can’t see him scoring 10+ but can still see him getting about 5+. Still only 21 and just not ready for this level yet, same with Idah and Tzolis 

We've gone for quantity over quality on the whole by signing virtually a whole 11. Maybe actually replacing Buendia and Skipp with 2 £25m players would have been a better option...

2 hours ago, AJ said:

We've gone for quantity over quality on the whole by signing virtually a whole 11. Maybe actually replacing Buendia and Skipp with 2 £25m players would have been a better option...

i totally agree But 25million players what good wages that's where we fall short 

i would even gone for a few experienced pros on a free but again wages would stop anyone decent 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

When you realise that for every £1m we’ve spent, Arsenal Have probably spent 5 or 10 times as much, you do start to see per of the problem.

You've totally missed the point that we simply couldn't have been worse off spending nothing. Incompetence of the highest order from the fraud. 

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Under the current ownership we will never be in a position to be competitive in the PL.

Well, it is Delias fault as she outrightly refuses to seek out alternative funding or owners for the club, instead wanting to keep hold of her toy before passing it on to an incompetent nephew 🤷‍♂️

Dimi - £6m - instrumental in our promotion surge and a mixed bag this season. Linked with Roma for more than double what we paid. Criminally underused. Decent signing - B

Gibson £8m - instrumental in our promotion and probably the best we could have managed to get at the time. Steady but unremarkable player. Has proven decent at prem level with Boro before. Part of an unsettled defence and delivered mixed performances. Decent signing - B-

Sargent £8m - works hard, zero ability. Absolute fraud of a player. Terrible signing - F

Tzolis £10m - gone right off the boil and flattered to decieve. Terrible signing but early days. Not what we needed this season - E

Rashica £9m - slow start, then cut down with injury when he got going. Poor signing so far but hope there when he gets back from injury. D

PLM £4m - The cheap option when Billing deal failed... it shows. Short of quality with all aspects of midfield play. D

Gunn £5m - possibly one of the worst ever keepers to regularly play in the prem. Sentimental move. Maybe he can grow with regular championship game time in the future for us. E

That's the £50m...

Of the loanees:

Williams has been a mixed bag, mainly Terrible with the odd good game. Might be better at right back on his natural side. D

Gilmour, absolutely awful fit. Lightweight and slow, bypassed at every moment. Would send back if we could. F

Normann, class act and what Gilmour should be but injured too much. C

Kabak, was unfit when signed and mainly a liability when played. Desperate last min signing. D

We are trying to make silk from a sows ear and it's going to fail more often than it works. Sadly we can't just get away with it like most sides. Of our rivals... Leeds spent £30m on Rodrigo, Burnley spent £15m on Gibson and never played him, Newcastle spent £40m on Joelinton. If we did any of them deals, we'd be bankrupt but the other guys can just cut their losses, lob another load of money and wages at the problem and move on.

This is it, our glass ceiling under Delias stewardship.

Edited by Tetteys Jig
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Can’t see him scoring 10+ but can still see him getting about 5+. Still only 21 and just not ready for this level yet, same with Idah and Tzolis 

Idah has the first touch of a bagatelle table. Will never be anything other than a div. 1 or 2 player. Thats were we are.

5 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

All on Webber I’m afraid. He was incredibly vocal about the ‘sins of the past’ well he owns the sins of the present 

And vocal about sending Farke to war without a gun last time and this time he got him “a bazooka, a couple of handguns and some grenades” then rounded it off with a “tank” which I think was Normann.

Well those weapons you got must have been off the set of a Carry On film, and the Tank is a lemon that will sit in a workshop the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AJ said:

Sounds so easy doesn't it , and all so easy to criticise in hindsight. Lets be honest £25m pound players will be at a decent level and will probably be looking to go to bigger and more established clubs than Norwich. And what if we had brought 2 x 25m players in, is there any guarantee they would have hit the ground running. I also would guarantee that if we had gone down that route and they failed we would get threads saying why didnt we spread the funds around a bit more ,the sad fact is that transfer have never really changed over the years some work some fail .

5 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Sheffield United 2 : The squequel 

Maybe, but at least they've a go!

Could be a Brighton once established? 

We are becoming a joke football club and it's breaking my heart, something needs to change. 

We had more points last time around with a team of lower league German players and academy graduates. We were initially competitive despite all of the summer signings then also being failures. It wasn’t until lockdown that we really fell apart.

The signings, the sacking of Farke, the appointment of Smith, the whole thing is just a shambles right now. That has to fall on Webber.

And we’ve totally lost the togetherness within the club and team spirit that we had before. 

I totally agree that a team with Vrancic, Trybull, Marco, Onel etc could hardly be doing any worse. Potentially inferior players (not really sure about that though) but wanted to play for the club, each other, the manager and the fans. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

And Brentford?

Bit silly using a one off example of a team that's still very much at risk of relegation.

We would be a different position had Normann and Rashica had played 90% of the games, and had we started with any momentum at all. 

I can’t really understand Dimi and Omobamidele not playing.  The self sustaining model only works if we add value to a player by giving them opportunities to develop, Williams and Kabak playing ahead of them seems daft when the difference is so small.

Brentford look ordinary to me, a great club but football wise they are beatable.

More spent on half the number might have been a better gameplan.

You might get volume shopping at Poundshop but don't expect to find quality.

18 hours ago, Making Plans said:

I would argue under this ownership model we could with the right strategy put together a side that could get between 30 and 40 points a season at this level without disastrous bad luck. A side that would have us surviving by the skin of our teeth more often than not. 

We will never be competitive in this league with these owners sure. But the self financing model isn't responsible for how absolutely embarrassingly bad we've been in our last two attempts. That's down to a poor transfer strategy, a naive and delusional playing philosophy and a stubborn, willful ignorance of the reality of what PL football is now and an instance on doing things differently for the sake of being different. 

Doing a Southampton is beyond us sure, but I don't think doing a Burnley (Or Wigan and Stoke before them) is beyond our financial limitations. 

It’s not transfer fees but wages which are issue. I imagine we have a ceiling of say 40k for the top earners. The sort of experienced premiership players we need start at 100k I would say. As no signs a 1 year deal. If you sign 2 experienced premier leagues players say Danny Rosenand  and Josh King that will cost Norwich 20 million for two years with no resale value. 

I don't think anyone could complain too much if we went down with 30 something points & respectable g/d, at least it'd show we're competitive. The problem is how often we fall to a total capitulation. We have a -31 goal difference, after 18 games! This is the sort of stats you'd expect from a club stripped of all its assets, given a points deduction and being forced to field a team of academy players. It's completely unacceptable for a club who just won the championship and spent 50mil.

Edited by Carn

I actually agree that we should have spent more on less. However had we gone into this season having bought two £30,000,000 players and then had a crisis in a different position (in the style of our last premier league jaunt), we would have all gone absolutely spare about not covering the obvious squad gaps.

Unfortunately everyone is always fighting the last war and that's exactly what webber and most of this forum (including me) were worried about in the summer.

Edited by 1902