Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Farkeball to Nothingball

Just now, Naturalcynic said:

Being humiliated every week feels the same whether it’s under Farke or Smith.

Farke was the reason we got where we were in the first place. His coaching his ethos and method. That's all gone now, replaced with nothing other than an ordinary boring english manager type approach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you don’t have the players and you have a board that’s well past its sell-by date, it really makes little difference whether we have Farkeball or whatever style DS eventually imposes.

• Like 5

I can’t recall a period of time where we look so uncompetitive*.I don’t think anyone involved in the club thinks we have any chance of staying up .

Not one of our players would get in the Arsenal side Not even on their bench . 

When Smith went up from the Chumps he had Mings , Abrahams ,Grealish , MCGinn to name four players that would walk into our side today. 

The team with the best players usually win leagues . The team with the worst ….

Our players aren’t good enough. 

*i know about the last 10 in the last prem run , but somehow that felt different. Which is probably nonsense . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I can’t recall a period of time where we look so uncompetitive.I don’t think anyone involved in the club thinks we have any chance of staying up .

Not one of our players would get in the Arsenal side Not even on their bench . 

When Smith went up from the Chumps he had Mings , Abrahams ,Grealish , MCGinn to name four players that would walk into our side today. 

The team with the best players usually win leagues . The team with the worst ….

Our players aren’t good enough. 

Our players are not good enough, thats not a criticism its a statement of fact. Getting rid of Farke was only window dressing.

• Like 2

My worry with Smith is we’ll see a return to journeymen pros and mid championship style of football. Regardless of who’s to blame for this squad, we certainly had an identity under Farke and we certainly looked good at times. Smith just looks lost as to what he’s doing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Indy said:

My worry with Smith is we’ll see a return to journeymen pros and mid championship style of football. Regardless of who’s to blame for this squad, we certainly had an identity under Farke and we certainly looked good at times. Smith just looks lost as to what he’s doing!

Yep, Farke had style, I dont see anything other than bang ordinary with Smith Im afraid

1 minute ago, Indy said:

His record with a Brentford and Villa at champs level wasn’t that bad

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yep, Farke had style, I dont see anything other than bang ordinary with Smith Im afraid

So we were bottom of the league shipping goals and failing to score, but we did it with a bit of style.  I see.

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Haha 1

His record at Brentford was 9th, 10th and 9th which is where I think he’ll take us

Mid-table Champs, playing reasonable football and bringing on the odd youngster to sell.

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

His record with a Brentford and Villa at champs level wasn’t that bad

One promotion, and Farke had two championships. Add to that the players loaned by Smith in that season he got promoted would have cost more in loan fees than the championship winning side we had under Farke!

Edited by Indy

Just now, Indy said:

One promotion, and Farke had two championships. Add to that the players loaned by Smith in that season he got promoted would have cost more than the championship winning side we had under Farke!

He did well with Brentford and only had one crack at it with Villa, with a Bruce squad. I won’t write him off, this isn’t his fault 

I agree with the post but Farkeball in the premiership with our budget does not work. Just take a look at Arsenal who are essentially playing a variation of Farke ball. It has take Arteta 2 years and 100 millions of pounds in the transfer fees and they still going to a real fight to finish fourth and I still think they would be exposed against a team that will press them better.

I think playing or trying to play open attacking football now is actually negligent. Sad though it is our best chance of salvaging anything respectable from the season is to get Hugill back and play direct football and not do anything daft. I don’t like it but what is the alternative is.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

So we were bottom of the league shipping goals and failing to score, but we did it with a bit of style.  I see.

Farke dealt with the hand he had. Poor starting squad, terrible fixture list and as things got worse, he redressed it with shutting up shop and we started picking up points. Still poor, I grant you, but he was dealing with it. now we have lost everything about the way we play.

5 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

You've either got or you haven't got it !

You seem to have precious little to say nowadays unless it’s still championing Farke.

I didn’t see much Farkeball at Chelsea. He’d already given up on it this season for dull, and, mostly ineffective, pragmatism.

20 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Being humiliated every week feels the same whether it’s under Farke or Smith.

Absolutely this, no different under Smith to Farke, there's just absolutely no fight from these lads. So weak in the middle of the park I think a Sunday League team could give us trouble

Can’t see the fans sticking with Smith for too long in the championship if we get off to a poor start. Personally I’m pretty much done with it all though. It’s utterly pointless us being at this level which then makes the championship pointless as well. Football is ruined

8 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

His record at Brentford was 9th, 10th and 9th which is where I think he’ll take us

Mid-table Champs, playing reasonable football and bringing on the odd youngster to sell.

But he didn't have parachute payments at Brentford.

As stated on another thread, I think Farke sadly had to go but I feel we should have waited for Knutsen who could have potentially been Farke II.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

You seem to have precious little to say nowadays unless it’s still championing Farke.

I didn’t see much Farkeball at Chelsea. He’d already given up on it this season for dull, and, mostly ineffective, pragmatism.

No, that isn't so. He started the season with enthusiasm and endeavour, but as that plainly wasn't working he changed to a more pragmatic style and we started picking up points. His instinct then was to step it up back to a more like what we are used to at Brentford and it worked. and it would have developed on from there imo. 

Shafted by Webber and certain players in the squad, when it is plain that it was the players - and the recruitment - that were the problem, not Farke himself. 

7 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I agree with the post but Farkeball in the premiership with our budget does not work. Just take a look at Arsenal who are essentially playing a variation of Farke ball. It has take Arteta 2 years and 100 millions of pounds in the transfer fees and they still going to a real fight to finish fourth and I still think they would be exposed against a team that will press them better.

I think playing or trying to play open attacking football now is actually negligent. Sad though it is our best chance of salvaging anything respectable from the season is to get Hugill back and play direct football and not do anything daft. I don’t like it but what is the alternative is.

I couldn't disagree more. Farke ultimately failed this season because he abandoned Farkeball. We used to give teams problems and it was entertaining to watch, even when we came up short. Now it's just a shambles with absolutely no thread of footballing philosophy.

The alternative is some nebulous idea of being more physical and hitting it long, a bit like Burnley. We need to get back to playing proper, passing football and playing on the front foot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, that isn't so. He started the season with enthusiasm and endeavour, but as that plainly wasn't working he changed to a more pragmatic style and we started picking up points. His instinct then was to step it up back to a more like what we are used to at Brentford and it worked. and it would have developed on from there imo. 

Shafted by Webber and certain players in the squad, when it is plain that it was the players - and the recruitment - that were the problem, not Farke himself. 

That’s an extremely one sided and overly positive view of Farke’s tenure this season.

The 1 point he took off Brighton, Watford and Leeds at home with a virtually fully fit squad, together with the rest of his results is just as responsible for our current position as any issues with the recruitment.

Trying to suggest Farke was blameless is pure revisionism.

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I couldn't disagree more. Farke ultimately failed this season because he abandoned Farkeball. We used to give teams problems and it was entertaining to watch, even when we came up short. Now it's just a shambles with absolutely no thread of footballing philosophy.

The alternative is some nebulous idea of being more physical and hitting it long, a bit like Burnley. We need to get back to playing proper, passing football and playing on the front foot.

He abandoned Farkeball because we had lost 17 games in a row at Premiership level. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Webber made a choice of trying trying being the main word here to stay the premiership rather than a Farkeball style philosophy.

The more Football we try to play the bigger the beating we will get.