Indy

Dean Smith what a disappointment…..

Seen "team" mentioned a lot here. That s the key. Individually we are not good enough and have one of the worst three squads in the league. Therefore the only way to stay up is to have a system and for the collective to be better than other sides' stars. A Lambert type side if you will. Unfortunately we are miles away from that. We have no idea who gets in our first xi or which formation suits us. The issue is, if we don't have a clear first xi or style then I can see us being shot of confidence and hovering around mis take in the Champs next yr. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Don’t think Sorensen was decent at all V villa 

Still think there’s a bit of realism needed, arsenal will definitely finish in top 4 and we are still without one or two key personnel 

smith needs a transfer window to get this right 

Agree i dont get this love in with  Sorensen i thought he was bang avarage v Villa. 

• Like 1

Madness to even begin blaming Smith and Shakespeare.

The board, Webber, Farke and his backroom outfit have delivered us this pile of trash and that is where the focus should remain. No one else is to blame for the mess we are in.

10 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

The board, Webber, Farke and his backroom outfit have delivered us this pile of trash and that is where the focus should remain. No one else is to blame for the mess we are in.

And that’s exactly the order of culpability, yet there seems precious little self-awareness of that fact from Delia and Michael.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

And that’s exactly the order of culpability, yet there seems precious little self-awareness of that fact from Delia and Michael.

And as long as the stands are full and season ticket sales healthy nothing will change.

We are our own worst enemy in many ways.

1 minute ago, Nora's Ghost said:

And as long as the stands are full and season ticket sales healthy nothing will change.

We are our own worst enemy in many ways.

Season tickets were effectively free for this season for most supporters, but with no sign of the pandemic disappearing in the short to medium term, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with renewals in the New Year.  My gut feeling is many will not renew, and I confess I may well be one of them which leaves me feeling rather sad after all these years, but the reality of NCFC being what Delia and Michael aspired to (i.e. a team that sometimes gets promoted to the Prem but is never ever good enough to stay there) is utterly demoralising.  A fundamental change at Board level is essential.

54 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Season tickets were effectively free for this season for most supporters, but with no sign of the pandemic disappearing in the short to medium term, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with renewals in the New Year.  My gut feeling is many will not renew, and I confess I may well be one of them which leaves me feeling rather sad after all these years, but the reality of NCFC being what Delia and Michael aspired to (i.e. a team that sometimes gets promoted to the Prem but is never ever good enough to stay there) is utterly demoralising.  A fundamental change at Board level is essential.

I really feel the way we go down this season could be a defining moment for a lot of supporters. No one enjoys seeing their team become the subject of constant humiliation.Embarrassment has its limits,and we are reaching those limits I feel. Don't think I have ever left Carrow rd. feeling as deflated and totally p#ssed off as yesterday.Things need to change,and it probably is in the supporters hands how and when that changes.

4 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I really feel the way we go down this season could be a defining moment for a lot of supporters. No one enjoys seeing their team become the subject of constant humiliation.Embarrassment has its limits,and we are reaching those limits I feel. Don't think I have ever left Carrow rd. feeling as deflated and totally p#ssed off as yesterday.Things need to change,and it probably is in the supporters hands how and when that changes.

It's like watching the same movie time after time. In the end you know the plot and how it ends so what is the point in paying to watch it again?

Doesn't matter how you look at it, Smith was every bit a bad a mistake as our summer recruitment. He was a need jerk reaction to sacking DF and every bit as bad as the guy he replaced.

Smiths managerial record shows he was a bad choice and really needs getting rid of at the end of this season(if not sooner) and replaced by someone with a bit of pedigree. 

Webber's summer recruitment and then the hiring of Smith should also be the final nail in his coffin.  

2 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Doesn't matter how you look at it, Smith was every bit a bad a mistake as our summer recruitment. He was a need jerk reaction to sacking DF and every bit as bad as the guy he replaced.

Smiths managerial record shows he was a bad choice and really needs getting rid of at the end of this season(if not sooner) and replaced by someone with a bit of pedigree. 

Webber's summer recruitment and then the hiring of Smith should also be the final nail in his coffin.  

Although underwhelmed at first hearing of his appointment, after reading more about him I could see the logic in him getting the job. But unless he improves fast I regretfully think that my initial thought may have been the correct one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

So two promotions with champions of the division and you focus on the pile of trash. I don’t see that, I see Rashica who’s a very good player, Sargent who works hard, Tzolis who has been linked with big clubs who we took a chance on. Normann & Kabak both could have been signed permanently but signed on loan with the view, so if both don’t work out they can go back! It’s those older more established players who haven’t stepped up again, Gibson, Hanley, McLean, Lees, Cantwell, Dowell, Rupp to name them, those who should be experienced enough to battle and organise on the pitch, they don’t, they’re not good enough.

Farke was struggling and arguably needed to go to give us the best chance of staying up, but replacing him with a manager who spent over 190 million on a Villa team and to be sacked for near the same set of results as we had to that point, hasn’t won the championship and was way behind the Farkes Norwich in our first promotion…….wasn’t the best move by Webber.

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

So two promotions with champions of the division and you focus on the pile of trash. I don’t see that, I see Rashica who’s a very good player, Sargent who works hard, Tzolis who has been linked with big clubs who we took a chance on. Normann & Kabak both could have been signed permanently but signed on loan with the view, so if both don’t work out they can go back! It’s those older more established players who haven’t stepped up again, Gibson, Hanley, McLean, Lees, Cantwell, Dowell, Rupp to name them, those who should be experienced enough to battle and organise on the pitch, they don’t, they’re not good enough.

Farke was struggling and arguably needed to go to give us the best chance of staying up, but replacing him with a manager who spent over 190 million on a Villa team and to be sacked for near the same set of results as we had to that point, hasn’t won the championship and was way behind the Farkes Norwich in our first promotion…….wasn’t the best move by Webber.

I do enjoy our descriptions of Sargent. "Works hard" is the best we can say about a close to 10m quid signing. May as well have signed Andy Hughes again. I'd love to be proved wrong I really would, but doubt he'd hit double figures in the Champs. 

2 hours ago, Canario said:

I do enjoy our descriptions of Sargent. "Works hard" is the best we can say about a close to 10m quid signing. May as well have signed Andy Hughes again. I'd love to be proved wrong I really would, but doubt he'd hit double figures in the Champs. 

Fair point but at 21 he’s still got time to develop and hard working on the pitch translates to training and development hopefully.

I don't think it's fair to start criticising Smith after a handful of games. He inherited a team bottom of the league which had lost two key players during the summer (almost certainly the most important two) and is now a mix of old players who are generally not up to Prem standard and new players who are either injured, struggling to settle into English football, or not very good. If he achieves the miracle and keeps us up, he should be given the keys to the city. 

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Fair point but at 21 he’s still got time to develop and hard working on the pitch translates to training and development hopefully.

To a certain extent, but I tend to think a decent Championship player will be the absolute limit of his achievement. If a player hasn't got technical ability by 21, he's probably never going to develop it.

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I don't think it's fair to start criticising Smith after a handful of games. He inherited a team bottom of the league which had lost two key players during the summer (almost certainly the most important two) and is now a mix of old players who are generally not up to Prem standard and new players who are either injured, struggling to settle into English football, or not very good. If he achieves the miracle and keeps us up, he should be given the keys to the city. 

There’s no way he should have got this gig….he failed at Villa after spending 190 million, with our so called key player! I can’t believe people are defending a guy who only got Bournemouth to 9th in the championship, Villa promoted with loans of more value than Farke had at his disposal with a championship winning side in the same season and only stopped Villa from being relegated because of a very controversial no goal, which some still question wasn’t overturned as the Premiership preference to keep Villa there and to detriment of clubs like Norwich and Bournemouth. He’s certainly not an improvement and Webber certainly flaps when he’s put under pressure! Relegation will be interesting to see what happens here, who goes for this relegation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

There’s no way he should have got this gig….he failed at Villa after spending 190 million, with our so called key player! I can’t believe people are defending a guy who only got Bournemouth to 9th in the championship, Villa promoted with loans of more value than Farke had at his disposal with a championship winning side in the same season and only stopped Villa from being relegated because of a very controversial no goal, which some still question wasn’t overturned as the Premiership preference to keep Villa there and to detriment of clubs like Norwich and Bournemouth. He’s certainly not an improvement and Webber certainly flaps when he’s put under pressure! Relegation will be interesting to see what happens here, who goes for this relegation.

I'm not a strong supporter of Smith, but Farke's gone, he's what we've got, and we have to hope he is better than many of us suspect.

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm not a strong supporter of Smith, but Farke's gone, he's what we've got, and we have to hope he is better than many of us suspect.

I can’t buy into that hope! I’d much rather had Robins in, an up and coming manager with a style to match our club. I just can’t see Smith’s attraction, he’s done nothing of any real worth! Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Maybe Dean Smith won't cut it here but he can't be blamed for what has gone on before he arrived. Come May however we will see what he is made of.

Just now, Indy said:

I can’t buy into that hope! I’d much rather had Robins in, an up and coming manager with a style to match our club. I just can’t see Smith’s attraction, he’s done nothing of any real worth! Just my opinion.

You're not alone. I think most people are a bit 'meh' about Smith, including me. I can only assume Webber thought he had someone in the bag when he sacked Farke and it turned out he didn't. 

23 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

You're not alone. I think most people are a bit 'meh' about Smith, including me. I can only assume Webber thought he had someone in the bag when he sacked Farke and it turned out he didn't. 

Webber made it clear Smith quickly became his first choice so he carries the can for this.

I thought Smith and Shakespear would at least sort the defence out like they said they would, but if anything we are even worse than we were under Farke. 

Smith quickly laid blame on the players yesterday, and he may have been right, but I already sense they are not playing for him - the lack of effort was plain to see.

We're looking at pretty radical changes in all positions - not a single player from that starting XI should keep their place based on their ability, effort and form. Roll on January and next June to get shot of the shoite.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Webber made it clear Smith quickly became his first choice so he carries the can for this.

I thought Smith and Shakespear would at least sort the defence out like they said they would, but if anything we are even worse than we were under Farke. 

Smith quickly laid blame on the players yesterday, and he may have been right, but I already sense they are not playing for him - the lack of effort was plain to see.

We're looking at pretty radical changes in all positions - not a single player from that starting XI should keep their place based on their ability, effort and form. Roll on January and next June to get shot of the shoite.

Indeed, there comes a point if it’s not working the process needs reviewing.

continuous improvement needs constant tools to provide best solutions to problem solve challenges…..DuPont.

The challenge is to improve the first team on a budget, this comes from youth development and building on that. We’re good at developing attacking midfielders, this season we lack that, we don’t have that link and we’ve tried to buy more expensive players to develop, trouble is this league isn’t one to try this. 

6 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

You must have missed the 7-1 v Colchester.

Edited by Beefy is a legend

On 26/12/2021 at 16:57, Danke bitte said:

In fairness, it’s not Smith’s squad. 

On 26/12/2021 at 16:57, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not his squad, not his players and he's missing his best.

I'm pretty sure when we offered him the job he'd have been told that he's largely got to work with what we've got and that any transfer spend would be negligible unless the Saudi's get desperate and pay silly money for Max Aarons.

The remit was to come in and try and get more out of these players, and that's what he should be judged on.

At the same time though we do need to accept that our squad is complete dogsh*t, the worst top flight side I can remember, and I'm sure if you asked our older posters.... of all time. That is following a record transfer spend.

I feel like Marco Stiepermann would improve this squad, that's how much of a disaster our transfer business has been. 

8 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Whilst I do agree, my patience with Smith will not last more than 5 minutes if he persists on selecting Gilmour. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I'd have loved Mark Robins to have come in. Smith wasn't as good as Farke in the Championship and it took not far off £200 million over two years for Premiership survival followed by a sacking with Villa languishing in the bottom half. He was never going to be a significant upgrade.

Robins had that "you never know" vibe. He might have been a flop, but he might have been fantastic. He had a ropey spell at Huddersfield and S****horpe, but prior to that regularly dragged teams out of relegation spots and is doing miracles in his second stint at Coventry.

Edited by canarydan23

1 minute ago, hairpie said:

Webber spent 40,000,000 and none proven premier league. 

He spent £75millon, let's not go down this net spend nonsense. The cost of these players were the cost regardless of what we got for Buendia. 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

He spent £75millon, let's not go down this net spend nonsense. The cost of these players were the cost regardless of what we got for Buendia. 

To be fair Giannoulis and Gibson were must buys as per the clause on promotion. I’d like to know the value of this shower come the end of this season! Anyone think any of our players would sell for more than Ten million?

Just now, Indy said:

To be fair Giannoulis and Gibson were must buys as per the clause on promotion. I’d like to know the value of this shower come the end of this season! Anyone think any of our players would sell for more than Ten million?

Ten million combined????......... No 😂

• Haha 1