Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Let’s get back to championship

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The game is rigged against us and teams like us. Look how mad they are that we are even in their league. We are a massive inconvenience.

Totally agree. Norwich are a revenue issue. They are probably sick of giving us parachute payments too.

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Totally agree. Norwich are a revenue issue. They are probably sick of giving us parachute payments too.

I don’t feel the slightest bit bad at taking their money 😂

The Prem brand doesn’t want us. We offer nothing to their USP’s . Signing Ronaldo is what sells the subscription and pay per views across the globe. A team rolling over and getting beat 5 nil doesn’t help them. Newcastle (and the money/ potential signings) is great news for them . 

I agree the Prem is sh1te. Hearing Tierney scream like a banshee when he won a free kick sums it all up . No one says “what the hell ?” They just accept it as “part of the game” . 

14 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I hate this is the way we are now forced/have been conditioned to think. It renders our club pointless. 

Yeah it does. I'd almost rather support a team lower down the pyramid. The gap between the top of the Championship and Man City, Liverpool etc is absolutely enormous. The game is now starting to look a bit stale for the vast majority of supporters. 

41 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

We're at the trickiest part of the model (higher expectations but a capable squad still only 'emerging'). We need to keep faith in the approach and eventually we'll stick, consolidate and build in the top flight.

COVID put around a 30m hole in the finances, I wonder if that'd been spent on better signings in an alternate timeline?

Hard to put much faith in it, though, as it's been obvious for quite some time that the summer recruitment has been woeful.

13 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

I'm all for this European Super League. Go on? Off you F@(K! 

But it’s not the fact that the “big clubs” beat us that’s the problem.  After all, that’s more or less to be expected.  It’s what we do against the other 13 that matters if we were ever to stand a chance of staying up.  After all, teams like Southampton, Palace, Burnley, Wolves, Leicester, Leeds, Brighton etc certainly aren’t in the Super League bracket, and neither are Watford or Brentford, yet all consistently make a better fist of it than us.

28 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Until there are empty seats on matchdays and general malaise sets in those in power have nothing to worry about.

Did the club announce yesterday's attendance, I must have missed it?....I initially thought that there was a 'healthy' crowd, but after just watching my pre-recorded MOTD there seemed to be a fair amount of empty seats (including four alongside me)....I suppose no buses, weather, covid etc....and not discounting our poor performances and maybe 'general malaise' may have influenced the attendance?....Although Arsenal did fill their away allocation.....

Season Ticket renewal time and first deadline approaches....interesting times ahead.....I wonder if there will be a ST price increase?.....

Edited by Mello Yello

7 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Did the club announce yesterday's attendance, I must have missed it?....I initially thought that there was a 'healthy' crowd, but after just watching my pre-recorded MOTD there seemed to be a fair amount of empty seats (including four alongside me)....I suppose no buses, weather, covid etc....and not discounting our poor performances and maybe 'general malaise' may have influenced the attendance?....Although Arsenal did fill their away allocation.....

Season Ticket renewal time and first deadline approaches....interesting times ahead.....I wonder if there will be an ST price increase?.....

I doubt I will bother next year... first time in decades but its a soulless experience where the atmosphere is akin to going to the cinema. Don't enjoy it like I use to...

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

How convinced are you by the argument that ...

We're at the trickiest part of the model (higher expectations but a capable squad still only 'emerging'). We need to keep faith in the approach and eventually we'll stick, consolidate and build in the top flight.

Next season we could win the title again (Tzolis, Rashica & Sargent might really find their feet in such a campaign) and we return with a more experienced Placheta, Sorensen & Omobamiedele AND can spend £60M on a new layer of players to add to the mix.

To be fair injuries have robbed us of Normann and Rashica which distorts things at the moment. With them we would have beaten Newcastle and possibly United and be thinking that we had a REAL chance of survival under Smith. Perhaps we still have a good chance if players return, others improve fitness/recovery and we add a new face or two in January. If that happens (which isn't impossible) and we survive then we keep Normann and Kabak and can throw another significant chunk of TV money on a few exciting stars that Smith wants to work with.

This would be the Webber argument ...

You make some valid points but with the self sustaining model we will no doubt have to sell Tzolis and AO to bigger clubs and we end up in the snakes and ladders scenario once again.

This season has shown that the model does not really work at this level. We spent, to us historically, a lot of money including loanees, and what have we got. Building for the future? How many building sites have we had?

I'm afraid we now have to be realistic and say that if we have ambition then we have to ask D&M to look at selling instead of the nostalgic attitude of we only want nice people owners and we won't listen. Good as they are, its 25 years since the rescue and we have moved on.

If we haven't any ambition then lets just sit mid table Championship and hope for a cup run.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You make some valid points but with the self sustaining model we will no doubt have to sell Tzolis and AO to bigger clubs and we end up in the snakes and ladders scenario once again.

This season has shown that the model does not really work at this level. We spent, to us historically, a lot of money including loanees, and what have we got. Building for the future? How many building sites have we had?

I'm afraid we now have to be realistic and say that if we have ambition then we have to ask D&M to look at selling instead of the nostalgic attitude of we only want nice people owners and we won't listen. Good as they are, its 25 years since the rescue and we have moved on.

If we haven't any ambition then lets just sit mid table Championship and hope for a cup run.

Sadly I fear that despite it clearly being in the Club’s best interests, D&M don’t seem to recognise this and still cling to their philosophy that NCFC should be run as a self-sustaining cottage industry.

Edited by Naturalcynic

14 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I doubt I will bother next year... first time in decades but its a soulless experience where the atmosphere is akin to going to the cinema. Don't enjoy it like I use to...

Exactly this.  After decades of having a season ticket with round trips that have been 150 miles at best and 240 at worst, I really am questioning what to do when asked to renew in the New Year.  Our seeming inability to aspire to anything more than an occasional promotion followed by a season of humiliation is totally demoralising.  The air of quiet acceptance at CR of our mediocrity gives the impression of a club that is utterly moribund. Until there’s recognition by D&M that the Club’s real problems lie at Boardroom level and unless they act to remedy that, I suspect I’ll be becoming largely an armchair supporter which is a rather sad thing to have to contemplate.

32 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Season Ticket renewal time and first deadline approaches....interesting times ahead.....I wonder if there will be a ST price increase?.....

Not easy to judge anything from yesterday because as you say public transport and other issues played a part in the empty seats being visible across the stands. I reckon the club will cynically attempt a 'business as usual' approach to next season hoping no one has noticed what is going on with their disastrous 'self funding model'.

How much longer will they get away with pulling the wool over the eyes of City's loyal and forgiving fanbase?

For those wanting regime change, not renewing season tickets offers you the best chance. 

The model is at risk in the Chumps without bums on seats. 

1 minute ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Not easy to judge anything from yesterday because as you say public transport and other issues played a part in the empty seats being visible across the stands. I reckon the club will cynically attempt a 'business as usual' approach to next season hoping no one has noticed what is going on with their disastrous 'self funding model'.

How much longer will they get away with pulling the wool over the eyes of City's loyal and forgiving fanbase?

I doubt we’ll ever be told the true number.  The ground could be empty but the crowd would still officially be about 22,000 due to seats already being “sold” to season ticket holders.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

I doubt we’ll ever be told the true number.  The ground could be empty but the crowd would still officially be about 22,000 due to seats already being “sold” to season ticket holders.

Very true.

So much honesty has disappeared from football these days.

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Although I think the model holds us back, I still don’t think this season is necessarily proof the model can’t work as I believe that had we spent the money better, on the players we all knew we needed (but maybe a couple less) then we could have still done ok. A better midfielder or two and a quick option up front and we would not have been far off in my view. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Although I think the model holds us back, I still don’t think this season is necessarily proof the model can’t work as I believe that had we spent the money better, on the players we all knew we needed (but maybe a couple less) then we could have still done ok. A better midfielder or two and a quick option up front and we would not have been far off in my view. 

What the model does is leave zero room for error and unfortunately Webber has erred again. 

48 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes there is that but the model was never going to say lets offer Emi 60K a week to see if he might stay another season or maybe Gary Cahill would be worth a season even if he wants 60K a week.d

i'm not saying that proposition might be good or not but I just think this insistence on the model is restraining at best and doesn't allow scope.

Unfortunately our current “self financing” model does not allow us to pay wages of £60k a week.

Interestingly we have been in the ‘top flight’ 27 times in our history and our record signing is only just under £10M.

Surely this tells us why we won’t be looking at number 28 next season.

Money rules football now and we haven’t got enough.

Regarding 'the model' it's also worth remembering that it does guarantee that following a relegation we have stability, a very strong Championship squad, good money to spend AND that we only let assets go for good prices.

The alternative models are:

1) what we did pre Webber = boom and bust

2) sell out to a rich investor = toss a coin ... do you roll down Wolves's path or Sunderland's?

12 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Regarding 'the model' it's also worth remembering that it does guarantee that following a relegation we have stability, a very strong Championship squad, good money to spend AND that we only let assets go for good prices.

The alternative models are:

1) what we did pre Webber = boom and bust

2) sell out to a rich investor = toss a coin ... do you roll down Wolves's path or Sunderland's?

So your a championship supporter yes!

21 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I'm hating football right now. It's just pointless. Money has ruined the game.

Couldn't agree more Michael.  I'm kinda an outsider and far away where its not easy to catch a game on TV.  On the rare occasions where I can watch a Norwich game on the TV, it's  scary in the difference in opposing players.  They have tons more talent, skill, speed and strength.  The reason for this, in my opinion is money.  Money buys a lot, especially high quality players.  Working on a shoe-string budget is not a good recipe for success in the Premiere League.  Something has to change or Norwich will be eternal dwellers in the Championship League.  I dunno, I can't see anything positive for Norwich at the moment. 

Edited by CowboyCanary

If ever there was a thread on here that I hope our owners, directors and sporting director read its this one. 

A thread that hasn’t descended into personal battles and insults but one which respectfully shows just how fed up people are with us not being competitive in the top league.

For my part, I don’t buy into the premier league is rubbish thing. Any league is rubbish if you’re not competitive in it. We only speak fondly of the championship because of how dominant we’ve been in it in recent years. Imagine how we’ll feel in the championship after 4, 5, 6 years or more of finishing lower mid table, and that seems to be where we’re heading right now.

10 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

So what is the point in Norwich? Just keep getting relegated, sell our best players, live on parachute payments, reinvest a bit of the money, go back up (somehow) and the cycle repeats. 

These owners have to go, I’m bored of this constant feeble attempt to compete in the premier league. We had to sell our best player just to make transfers this Summer!

I’m bored of the “sins of the past” excuses to. I want a modern day football owner. Getting beat every week (to nil) is an absolute embarrassment and we deserve better. 

Trouble is the fans will never turn en mass against Delia, I do get Nuttys point but its all well and good saying "do something about it then", but 90% of Norwich fans are just so apathetic they won't join in. I vocalised my disappointment at the current ownership at FT yesterday very vocally, no one is interested, and the older fans just tut at you so what's the sodding point?? 

I can't see a fans revolt until at least Nepotism has taken over, Delia continually gets this free ride. 

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I don’t think they did .

BBC saying 26,940.

That's surely including ST holders that didn't turn up? The City stand was half empty. 24000 tops yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

That's surely including ST holders that didn't turn up? The City stand was half empty. 24000 tops yesterday. 

There wasn't nearly 27,000 there. Upper Barclay had loads of empty seats as well.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Trouble is the fans will never turn en mass against Delia, I do get Nuttys point but its all well and good saying "do something about it then", but 90% of Norwich fans are just so apathetic they won't join in. I vocalised my disappointment at the current ownership at FT yesterday very vocally, no one is interested, and the older fans just tut at you so what's the sodding point?? 

I can't see a fans revolt until at least Nepotism has taken over, Delia continually gets this free ride. 

“Do something about it then” is easier said than done. The “why don’t you invest” is another classic.

the problem is, they’ve created a bubble and have very loyal supporters. The day the nephew gets the club will be the nail in the coffin for me.