Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

We need to talk about Brandon Williams

I like his attitude. I like his feistiness.

BUT.

We need a left footed left back, especially when up against quality right wingers.

He slows our attacks down and he continually shows his man inside and it’s cost us big time today. 

It’s really winding me up that he won’t play Gianoulis who markedly improves us when he gets on the pitch 

Get rid of him and Gilmour come Jan. Send them back, neither will be here next season nor do either of them look like they care.

Should be developing our own players and getting them fit for next season in the 2nd tier, not developig them for other clubs

Looks to me like the tool and gilmour have to play a certain amount of games as part of loan deal agreement

Not sure how many games he'd played at left back before joining us, but I can only assume he was brought in to cover for any late offer that was too tempting for Max Aarons so that we had a right back option. 

Maybe our only faint hope at survival is to cash in on Aarons, use this money to buy an over priced lower league forward who knows where the goal is, and play Williams at right back. 

16 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I like his attitude. I like his feistiness.

BUT.

We need a left footed left back, especially when up against quality right wingers.

He slows our attacks down and he continually shows his man inside and it’s cost us big time today

It’s really winding me up that he won’t play Gianoulis who markedly improves us when he gets on the pitch 

Saka often cuts in onto his left foot - that's presumably why a right-footed Williams was preferred. 

The fact Williams didn't defend very well was more the problem. 

32 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

Not sure how many games he'd played at left back before joining us, but I can only assume he was brought in to cover for any late offer that was too tempting for Max Aarons so that we had a right back option. 

Maybe our only faint hope at survival is to cash in on Aarons, use this money to buy an over priced lower league forward who knows where the goal is, and play Williams at right back. 

Primarily seen as a left back by United.

Although the side of the pitch players on usually matches which is their stronger foot, some do play on the opposite. Cantwell is right footed as was Huckerby, but both preferred to play on the left

2 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Although the side of the pitch players on usually matches which is their stronger foot, some do play on the opposite. Cantwell is right footed as was Huckerby, but both preferred to play on the left

Much more common amongst wingers and attacking midfielders than fullbacks though. 

I just don’t see why we play a loan player when we have our own player who is just as good if not better…

Gianoullis is likely to leave if we don’t make him feel valued. He would be amazing next year if relegated whereas Williams will be off and won’t care 

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I just don’t see why we play a loan player when we have our own player who is just as good if not better…

Gianoullis is likely to leave if we don’t make him feel valued. He would be amazing next year if relegated whereas Williams will be off and won’t care 

I think Gianoulis will start tomorrow, Smith was scathing about letting Saka come inside on to his left

59 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Saka often cuts in onto his left foot - that's presumably why a right-footed Williams was preferred. 

The fact Williams didn't defend very well was more the problem. 

I think we should give Saka credit for his ability to deceive. Brandon just couldn't read it, or if he could his body was a micro-second too slow to react.

It's symptomatic of the whole side -  just not quite good enough against some of the top teams on the planet. That's where we are. 

I’ll drive them both back myself if it meant we started playing Giannoulis and Sorensen regularly, genuinely 2 players of only a very few who have credit in the bank for this season (alongside probably Pukki, Normann and Rashica).

All Williams is good for is a crunching slide tackle and seemingly that’s enough to justify his inclusion over Giannoulis who offers a genuine threat driving forwards with pace, sticks to the touch line, is a slick passer of the ball and has a great delivery. But what about Williams’ tackle on Saka yesterday hey?

I quite like Williams, just not on the left. Wouldn't be adverse to him playing at RB as Aarons has gone massively backwards this season. 

Quite a few good points on here. 

We should be developing our players now for the rest of the season. Give them,  especially the younger ones, some more big match experience. Send the loanees back. @Hank shoots SkylerI will happily chip in for petrol money

I think we need to talk about others too...Aarons awful once again been one of our worst players week in week out but because he is our own it's ok and never mentioned.

Get Williams at rb and giannoulis at lb.

Aarons has no attributes to beat a man in this league and positional sense is still dire. Woeful

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

I think we need to talk about others too...Aarons awful once again been one of our worst players week in week out but because he is our own it's ok and never mentioned.

Aarons has no attributes to beat a man in this league and positional sense is still dire. Woeful

Absolutely this! 

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

I think we should give Saka credit for his ability to deceive. Brandon just couldn't read it, or if he could his body was a micro-second too slow to react.

It's symptomatic of the whole side -  just not quite good enough against some of the top teams on the planet. That's where we are. 

Don’t really agree. An experienced, left footed, left back forces him to go away from the goal. Williams’ instinct is to guide players into his right foot as he is right footed. It also slows our attacks as almost all our wide players are “inverted” so come back inside all the time.

I worry Gianoulis will leave. He is our asset and he’s a very good player. 

I would add I’m not saying he’s a bad player. I quite like his edge and attitude. It’s just he’s on the wrong side. 

15 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Actually don’t agree about Aaron’s. I think he’s been better this season other than in a couple of recent games. I don’t see why we would want to devalue him by dropping him for a loanee.

I have been a fan of Williams pretty much since he arrived but considering how well DG played v United I was disappointed that Smith brought Williams straight back in considering his severe attacking limitations. BW was poor v Arsenal (as they all were) and there have been rumours that DG wants out due to lack of first team opportunities. The reinstatement of DG today is a no brainer. If Williams retains the shirt then serious questions need to be asked of Smith's judgement. The only other plausible explanation is that DG has 'downed tools'. If he has then he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad.

To be honest I think Williams is doing a decent job. Up for the fight provides cover at right back and left back. His arrivals take the pressure off Bryam recovery and allows further development of Mumba and McCallum.

Yes he had a poor game against Saka but that happens when you play against world class players. He is clearly a better defender than DG but not as good doing forward.

Aarons hasn't been that bad this year but an awful lot of goals conceded have come via exploiting his channel, it does bear thinking about. 

If I was to be a little controversial, I would suggest that Byram and Giannoulis would probably be our *most effective* set of fullbacks if completely fit. Certainly I'd like to see DG start today.