Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Did Smith really mess up?

He shouldn’t have been playing, but as I understand it wouldn’t have changed anything in terms of the game being on or off, just put us another man down.

I think that tweet is presenting it rather ‘unfairly’, the context of his quotes was a little different.

“We had it the other day against Aston Villa and I blame myself really, for not pushing to get the game called off, because we shouldn’t have played,” he added. 

“I suppose because we were so buoyant after the performance against Manchester United a few days earlier but then I had four players pull out on the day of the game and three players on the bench who I couldn’t put on. 

“I ended up making the substitution of a guy (Sam Byram) who hadn’t played for 22 months, after 43 minutes. He wasn’t due to be making a first-team start until the FA Cup game on January 9, but that’s where we were. 

“I was bordering on negligent from myself and if he had have got injured, I would have felt very, very guilty. Thankfully Sam got through the game but I think we are in a dangerous position now where we’re risking the health and welfare of the players.” 

Edited by Branston Pickle

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think that tweet is presenting it rather ‘unfairly’, the context of his quotes was a little different.

“We had it the other day against Aston Villa and I blame myself really, for not pushing to get the game called off, because we shouldn’t have played,” he added. 

“I suppose because we were so buoyant after the performance against Manchester United a few days earlier but then I had four players pull out on the day of the game and three players on the bench who I couldn’t put on. 

“I ended up making the substitution of a guy (Sam Byram) who hadn’t played for 22 months, after 43 minutes. He wasn’t due to be making a first-team start until the FA Cup game on January 9, but that’s where we were. 

“I was bordering on negligent from myself and if he had have got injured, I would have felt very, very guilty. Thankfully Sam got through the game but I think we are in a dangerous position now where we’re risking the health and welfare of the players.” 

I keep telling you guys, this forum hates context!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t understand why we are naming people on the bench who can’t play? 

The club should have done more to get the game postponed. Blames not really as much on the PL when we are doing the above.

As I've said on another thread, the Club has it in its gift to manage the situation much better than it has shown to date.  This is poor management in the extreme!  He now has the opportunity to right this, by not looking back, but motivating the players to victory.  But his approach to this morning's press conference doesn't bode well - total Hughton negativity.

28 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

As I've said on another thread, the Club has it in its gift to manage the situation much better than it has shown to date.  This is poor management in the extreme!  He now has the opportunity to right this, by not looking back, but motivating the players to victory.  But his approach to this morning's press conference doesn't bode well - total Hughton negativity.

Read the actual quotes rather than the way it’s written up and you get a different context. You do rather need to know the question being asked/answered.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

Player was Gilmour.

I feel guilty for giving him a hard time.

Genuinely we shouldn't let him play when he is that ill.

3 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I feel guilty for giving him a hard time 

I don't, unless he's been ill since August 🤷‍♂️, well July as he was outclassed at Kings Lynn too. 

It doesn’t read that Smith had the chance, he’s saying he wished he had pushed harder. May not have made any difference though. 

It is our bloody luck though that we’re forced to play with an under strength side for an otherwise winnable game 😩