Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

Olly Skipp

OK, not City related but is playing more as a box to box midfielder for Spurs at the moment rather than defensive midfield and looks very dangerous. 

Shame we couldn't get him to return but pleased that he's very much a regular in the Spurs team. 

Always too good for us. Moreno certainly knew what he was doing when he hyped the lad up as a future Spurs captain.

Maybe 'England' captain wouldn't be pushing it now.

Definitely still on an upwards curve, I have high hopes for his career and think we’ll see him in the England first team in the next couple of seasons

10 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Ah to have a midfielder who could actually tackle those were the days. 

I mean, both PLM and Gilmour make more tackles per game than Skipp has this season - I don't think that's what we're missing without Skipp.

I hope Olly can adapt his game to that of a more attacking role compared to that he had with us.

Personally I felt he was excellent for us, doing everything that we needed, except in the final third where I felt he was at his weakest.

53 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean, both PLM and Gilmour make more tackles per game than Skipp has this season - I don't think that's what we're missing without Skipp.

I don't care what the stats say, anyone with eyes and a brain can see Skipp is significantly better at tackling than Gilmour. (actually better at pretty much everything). I miss Skipp.

Skipp is and was excellent. I can't remember who but someone last season kept going on he wasn't good enough for the Premier League... I wonder if their opinion has changed.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I don't care what the stats say, anyone with eyes and a brain can see Skipp is significantly better at tackling than Gilmour. (actually better at pretty much everything). I miss Skipp.

Skipp is and was excellent. I can't remember who but someone last season kept going on he wasn't good enough for the Premier League... I wonder if their opinion has changed.

Me. And no I haven't changed my mind. He is extremely limited in his passing ability as Rio Ferdinand so eloquently expressed at half time during the Spurs v Palace game. 

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Me. And no I haven't changed my mind. He is extremely limited in his passing ability as Rio Ferdinand so eloquently expressed at half time during the Spurs v Palace game. 

Yes but Rio isn't Skipp's agent 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Is that true?  I assume that the stat is successful tackles made, and if that is the case I am officially gobsmacked, particularly with reference to Gilmour.

although I guess there are more tackles to be made playing for Norwich than Spurs, does the stat reflect that?  Still very surprising.

Edited by Newtopia

30 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

But Gilmour has to tackle three times to win the ball, Skipp does it in one.

Exactly, that and the fact he reads the game better and therefore intercepts and we held possession more meaning there were less tackle to make.

We absolutely miss Skipp’s tackling ability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Yes, of course Skipp is a better player than Gilmour or PLM - but he's not been incredible at this level with a much better side, which is the point i'm making. His engine, work rate and reading of the game are probably what we miss more than his tackling. He also carried the ball quite well and won us a lot of free-kicks in the championship (he hasn't been able to do that so much for Spurs at this level though).

34 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Is that true?  I assume that the stat is successful tackles made, and if that is the case I am officially gobsmacked, particularly with reference to Gilmour.

although I guess there are more tackles to be made playing for Norwich than Spurs, does the stat reflect that?  Still very surprising.

Yeah, it's close but it's true. Your second point is totally valid however.

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

But Gilmour has to tackle three times to win the ball, Skipp does it in one.

That's not how the tackle stat works to my understanding, the tackle stat is based on a sucessful tackle i.e dispossessing the opposition. 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

That's not how the tackle stat works to my understanding, the tackle stat is based on a sucessful tackle i.e dispossessing the opposition. 

That was a little bit tongue in cheek as Skipp didn't have to win that many tackles. His anticipation, reading of the game and workrate meant that he didn't have to.

39 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

That was a little bit tongue in cheek as Skipp didn't have to win that many tackles. His anticipation, reading of the game and workrate meant that he didn't have to.

Spot on with the ability to recycle the ball quickly too

12 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

I hope Olly can adapt his game to that of a more attacking role compared to that he had with us.

Personally I felt he was excellent for us, doing everything that we needed, except in the final third where I felt he was at his weakest.

To be fair whilst with us on the whole that wasn't really required from his game. With the plethora of attacking talent in front of him all he needed to do was shield the back 4, win the ball back and get it to one of those players and he did that job incredibly well. 

9 hours ago, AJ said:

To be fair whilst with us on the whole that wasn't really required from his game. With the plethora of attacking talent in front of him all he needed to do was shield the back 4, win the ball back and get it to one of those players and he did that job incredibly well. 

Quite so but on the occasional times, by circumstance, that he found himself in the last third he never looked as accomplished as when he was deeper.

22 hours ago, hogesar said:

Surely that's because Spurs have much more possession than us? 

Only need to tackle when your team doesn't have the ball. 

51 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Surely that's because Spurs have much more possession than us? 

Only need to tackle when your team doesn't have the ball. 

Exactly, statistic and lies and all that jazz.

Same reason that Krul has the 2nd highest number of saves in the league, it might have something to do with the fact he's faced more shots because we can never keep hold of the ball!

On 24/12/2021 at 09:56, AJ said:

Exactly, statistic and lies and all that jazz.

Same reason that Krul has the 2nd highest number of saves in the league, it might have something to do with the fact he's faced more shots because we can never keep hold of the ball!

Are you serious? Best keeper that we have had in many years..... Which, sadly will be shown over the next week or so.

Could be more the poor defensive in front of him! 

On 23/12/2021 at 20:00, dylanisabaddog said:

Can you explain the meaning behind Skipp being extremely limited in his passing ability please? All I can think is he doesn't play killer diagonal passes or many through balls but having said that I don't believe that's his game and it certainly wasn't for us in the championship.

Are you seriously doubting his ability to play in the premier league while he's playing very well for Spurs?

2 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Can you explain the meaning behind Skipp being extremely limited in his passing ability please? All I can think is he doesn't play killer diagonal passes or many through balls but having said that I don't believe that's his game and it certainly wasn't for us in the championship.

Are you seriously doubting his ability to play in the premier league while he's playing very well for Spurs?

You don't think a footballer in the Premier League should have the ability to pass the ball. Hmmmm

6 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Are you serious? Best keeper that we have had in many years..... Which, sadly will be shown over the next week or so.

Could be more the poor defensive in front of him! 

I'm not saying he's not a very good keeper, because he is, but any keeper facing a large number of shots would have statistical probability to make a large number of saves...

On 23/12/2021 at 00:18, overthebordercanary said:

Ah to have a midfielder who could actually tackle those were the days. 

I think you'll find the player with the most tackles per game %age was sold to Villa...how many times did we profit from the turn-over/high press with him around.  Was always going to be hard to replace but in him, a few years after Wes left, unbelievably “new Wes” was arguably better than Wes…so we live in hope. Maybe Tzolis can be Zaha-esque in a few years, Josh can be a Mario Gomez type player or fingers crossed Rachica will continue to improve. If we're looking too much at defence and still can't create/score goals, we'll continually fall down.

8 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You don't think a footballer in the Premier League should have the ability to pass the ball. Hmmmm

Of course Skipp can pass the ball. You didn't answer my question. Explain why you think he lacks passing ability?

You don't get to play for a well established premier league side without having the ability to pass the ball.