Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

Will you do the responsible thing on Boxing Day?

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The supermarkets were ram packed this morning so I wouldn't worry about CR.

But people wear masks in supermarkets and you don’t sit there in very close proximity to people who are shouting and chanting all over you for 90 minutes.

Edited by Naturalcynic

35 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Because I have no symptoms and I don't have a cold.

The whole point is to take the test when you don't have any symptoms.  You could be in the incubation stage and not show any symptoms, you could have covid and not get any symptoms at all, but you could still pass it on to others.  Taking the test before you go to a venue, or to someone's house is what you should be doing - not doing it afterwards to find out if you've picked something up.

• Like 3

I'll be doing the responsible thing by not going and therefore reduce the chances of being significantly annoyed, angered and/or frustrated in what should be a joyous day of celebration at home with loved ones 

Oh, and so I'm not mingling in close proximity with any Covidiots and the chance, however slim, of catching COVID.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Oh God, there’s no hope is there if that’s your attitude.

Are you testing everytime you go out?

I test twice a week for work.

The whole ground will have been vaccinated or have done a lateral flow. I have my booster so unless I'm wrong I've fulfilled the requirements?

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Are you testing everytime you go out?

I test twice a week for work.

The whole ground will have been vaccinated or have done a lateral flow. I have my booster so unless I'm wrong I've fulfilled the requirements?

Because Boris is so afraid of upsetting people, particularly the right wing of his own party,  the Government have said it’s either a Covid passport or negative lateral flow test, but any sensible and responsible person knows it should be both.

3 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I know Christmas can be a difficult time for some Buh...but I just want you to know that all of your fellow posters love you. Lakey loves you. Midlands loves you. Fuzzer loves you. Even canarydan23 loves you...and he hates everyone. Even I love you...as long as you produce a negative PCR test and provide me with the correct paperwork to show it.

To help you in your time of need, I've posted below my favourite Christmas song to give you a bit of xmas cheer: "It was on a Starry Night." Feel free to sing along. Enjoy my friend! Workers of the world, unite! 

OTBC

Steady on. I suppose I am prepared to feel vaguely neutral to Buh even though he has accused me of making up an obviously true story...🤓

• Haha 1

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Steady on. I suppose I am prepared to feel vaguely neutral to Buh even though he has accused me of making up an obviously true story...🤓

Any record anywhere online of this event?

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Why don’t you just grass me up like you did before, filth?

Stop posting bilge you idiot.

5 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I have to say, “The Real Buh” really is a bit of a tedious and juvenile attention-seeker.

Rather more than that i would say but hey ho he gets off on it .

I'll share my current situation, which may or may not help others decide. 

I went to a wedding on Saturday, which had already been cancelled two times previous due to COVID. The groom and bride asked everyone to lateral flow the day before, and the morning of the wedding. Of course some may not have, but being close family and friends you'd like to think everyone did. Two couples tested positive on the morning of the wedding and pulled out. 

Monday morning I woke up with very mild cold symptoms. I did a lat flow with my wife, both negative. I felt a bit worse Tuesday, another lat flow, still negative. I started to feel worse Tuesday through the night, and lat flow Wednesday morning turned positive instantly. Thankfully, my wife was still negative and continues to be.

Last night and today I've felt truly awful. I've never had a cough or fever like it, it's horrible. I'm now self isolating at home away from my Wife, 4 year old daughter and 6 month old son. Our Christmas is effectively cancelled. Again.

Yes people have it far worse, but I'd give anything to go back in time and decide not to go to the wedding. The truth is, I simply didn't believe the risks. I was double vaccinated, not boosted, but never thought I actually get it. Of the 90 people at the wedding, 22 have contracted omicron. If presented with that risk factor, you'd never take it. 

Ask yourself what your true priorities are over the festive period before you make a decision. I certainly regret the one I made. Omicron is super contagious, I know first hand. And you can still have COVID with a neg lat flow!

Stay safe and have a Merry Christmas.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just to add to that post, I have had a booster and been given a date in late April for a fourth jab, and I suspect after that I will be given a date for a fifth. Anyone who can get a booster should prioritise that.

• Like 4

For those questioning why we should bother having boosters and doing lateral flow tests, there were a shade under 120,000 new cases reported today.

We are taking a test before visiting my sister and husband Christmas Day, won’t go  if positive. Another test Boxing Day morning, if negative going to CR, will mask up and go straight through to sit down, will do another test on Monday. Can’t do much more apart from going to bed on Christmas Eve and staying there for three days ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A sensible post, along with those by Well b back. I have thought all along mask-wearing should have been compulsory in all areas of the ground apart from when seated, and that attendance should have been limited to those vaccinated.

Omicron may be milder, although there is a fair amount of straw-clutching about that at the moment on the back of not that much data or context. But the decision not to bring in tougher measures for Christmas illustrates how dangerously political is the decision-making of the Johnson government.

The reality is that even if the data had clearly indicated such a lockdown was necessary Johnson was never going to sanction it, because he is entirely at the mercy of the crazies in his party. It would have triggered the Defenestration of Downing Street, and he knew that.

Quite agree though I think that Boris is 'one of the crazies in his party' 😂

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Got em’

Another busy day in your "Real Life" Bore? 

Your head is going to need an extension for all these occupants! 

26 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Quite agree though I think that Boris is 'one of the crazies in his party' 😂

I don’t think he’s one of the crazies, but I do struggle to work out what he actually is other than weak, ineffectual, dithering and afraid to make hard decisions because he doesn’t want to make himself unpopular.  Whatever he is, he’s clearly not a leader .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I went to a wedding on Saturday, which had already been cancelled two times previous due to COVID. The groom and bride asked everyone to lateral flow the day before, and the morning of the wedding. Of course some may not have, but being close family and friends you'd like to think everyone did. Two couples tested positive on the morning of the wedding and pulled out. 

Monday morning I woke up with very mild cold symptoms. I did a lat flow with my wife, both negative. I felt a bit worse Tuesday, another lat flow, still negative. I started to feel worse Tuesday through the night, and lat flow Wednesday morning turned positive instantly. Thankfully, my wife was still negative and continues to be.

Last night and today I've felt truly awful. I've never had a cough or fever like it, it's horrible. I'm now self isolating at home away from my Wife, 4 year old daughter and 6 month old son. Our Christmas is effectively cancelled. Again.

Yes people have it far worse, but I'd give anything to go back in time and decide not to go to the wedding. The truth is, I simply didn't believe the risks. I was double vaccinated, not boosted, but never thought I actually get it. Of the 90 people at the wedding, 22 have contracted omicron. If presented with that risk factor, you'd never take it. 

Ask yourself what your true priorities are over the festive period before you make a decision. I certainly regret the one I made. Omicron is super contagious, I know first hand. And you can still have COVID with a neg lat flow!

Doesn't sound as though the lateral flows are awfully good at detecting Omicron if you suspect you had it 2 days before a positive test. I had already heard that. Basically anyone who sets foot outside their house has to test every single day.

To allow families to mix in-doors on Christmas Day, not to mention the present swapping visits beforehand, followed up my tens of thousands attending football matches the day after really doesn't make sense. 

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Firstly I hope you recover well and quickly, if you are more mature or have underlying conditions ring 119 who maybe able to get you on the anti viral trials.

Please May I add, and don’t take this personally as people do not understand the rules, if you have symptoms ( however mild ) you should isolate and book a PCR test. 
The Scottish data actually shows that if you are in a room with 100 people 50 - 60 people will catch it. The vaccines protect you from serious illness not so much against catching and transmitting it ( as they were designed to do ) however new data is showing amazing protection against omicron for around ten weeks after your booster kicks in.

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

however new data is showing amazing protection against omicron for around ten weeks after your booster kicks in.

9 weeks today exactly for me👍

See you all at CR on Sunday😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Doesn't sound as though the lateral flows are awfully good at detecting Omicron if you suspect you had it 2 days before a positive test. I had already heard that. Basically anyone who sets foot outside their house has to test every single day.

To allow families to mix in-doors on Christmas Day, not to mention the present swapping visits beforehand, followed up my tens of thousands attending football matches the day after really doesn't make sense. 

They aren’t very effective if you have symptoms. Not sure I understand the scientific reason but that’s why they say don’t take a flow test if you have any symptoms do a PCR.

On 21/12/2021 at 22:34, Iwans Big Toe said:

Do the responsible thing. Stay at home and fear for your lives. Let the rich and powerful tell you when it's safe to poke your head above ground again. After all they have no ulterior motive and have your best interests at heart.

I would really enjoy talking with you in more detail about the rationale behind your thinking, but I’ve made a choice not to engage with stupid.

But just to throw you a bone, if you actually think that COVID is the mechanism with which the rich and powerful are trying to control you, then you    should ask for a refund from whomever ‘woke’ you up.

22 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

They aren’t very effective if you have symptoms. Not sure I understand the scientific reason but that’s why they say don’t take a flow test if you have any symptoms do a PCR.

Not sure either but according to the "Naked Scientist" LFTs are about 70% to 80% accurate. From what I understand LFTs work by picking up proteins whereas PCRs pick up coronavirus DNA............

5 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Any record anywhere online of this event?

Are you kidding me?! Millennials simply cannot get enough of Youtube footage of poetry prize-givings...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Can I ask they know they've contracted Omicron? I tested positive a few months ago, both lat flow and PCR and all you get on your results is confirmation you have Covid not what flavour. Is this something that has changed since Omicron? 

Edited by Ken Hairy

Wow I wasn’t expected such varied debate for what is essentially a simple question. Maybe I should have done a poll - “will you test yourself before the game regardless of your vaccination status?”