Sign in to follow this  
CanaryConspiracy

What or who is required...?

Clearly scoring is an issue for us, once again... so, let's assume that for the remainder of this season we will battle hard, defend as best we can etc etc.... but what do we change up front to give us a chance?

New striker? New creative force? 

Who would you realstically like to see Smiffy n Webbs bring in?

We need a striker from the championship I believe. It’s going to cost, but it’s a two-fold gain - he may hit the ground running and keep us up, and if not, we have a ready-made striker for getting us back out of the championship next season. To delay this until the end of the season, or hope to run with Idah or Sargent, and an ageing Pukki next season, is a very risky strategy IMHO. 

Edited by astro
  • Like 1

We can't afford the young, fast, strong striker we need. Personally, I'd give Omotoye, Dickson-Peters, Rowe and Kamara a chance before blowing another £10m on a gap filler.

With the amount we spent in the summer, I don’t think we can afford a decent first team striker. Aarons and Cantwell will be gone by next summer, but I think the money should be used more to balance the cheque books so we don’t have to sell loads of key players.  Here’s my views on some of our players:

Pukki - I do believe he will still be able to cut it for us in the Championship next season. However, if he does I’m still convinced it will be his last season, so we need to get prepared for his departure 

Sargent - I think he could do ok for us in the Championship. I reckon this level is a bit too early for him considering he’s still only 21

Idah - Some of us thought he should have gone out for a Championship loan this season, including me. There’s been some talk of Hugill being recalled and Idah going out next month, which I think would be a good idea. Just like Sargent, he also made his league debut for us in the top flight but gained nothing from it as he had no Championship experience

Hugill - Was behind Pukki and Idah last season, so didn’t get much game time. I think he can cut it in the Championship as in a spell  where Pukki and Idah were out injured he did quite well. Not good enough for the PL though

Rashica - Done well for us so far, and I can see him scoring some this season. I can’t us selling him yet considering he only arrived this summer and has a sell-on clause in him. If he does stay then I think he’ll do great in the Championship 

Tzolis - Did great on his debut for us, although that was against the Bournemouth reserves. Still only a teenager, and I hold the same view on him as I do with Sargent

Like sgncfc has said, as we can’t afford to sign a top quality Championship striker I think we have to look at our reserves. Idah should be sent out for a Championship loan next month to try and get him ready for next season. I think Sargent and Tzolis could also benefit massively from a good season of Championship experience

Out of our reserves, Omotoye, Dickson-Peters, and Rowe are all possibilities. Omotoye has been sent out on loan but unfortunately isn’t getting the game time we wanted him to get. Dickson-Peters and Rowe are looking very promising in the U23s and are still in their teens, so I do believe we might be able to get them up to senior level. Maybe give them some game time against Charlton or send one of them out on loan for the remainder of the season

If we do manage to get at least one of these 3 up to senior level, it would save us a lot of money - the last thing we want is to spend loads on a striker and end up finding we’ve signed another Drmic. It could even earn us quite a bit in the near future. In order to achieve it though, we need to work on getting them ready fast as we don’t have much time to do it. Recall Hugill, send Idah out on a Championship loan for the remainder of the season, and give D-P and Rowe some game time in the cup or send one out on loan

Get the youngsters competing for a place on the pitch and we will see the best of them. At least one will take his chance with both hands.

With Idah the lights are on but there's nobody home and I suspect before long he will be warming the bench at Sligo or Drogheda.

11 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

With the amount we spent in the summer, I don’t think we can afford a decent first team striker. Aarons and Cantwell will be gone by next summer, but I think the money should be used more to balance the cheque books so we don’t have to sell loads of key players.  Here’s my views on some of our players:

Pukki - I do believe he will still be able to cut it for us in the Championship next season. However, if he does I’m still convinced it will be his last season, so we need to get prepared for his departure 

Sargent - I think he could do ok for us in the Championship. I reckon this level is a bit too early for him considering he’s still only 21

Idah - Some of us thought he should have gone out for a Championship loan this season, including me. There’s been some talk of Hugill being recalled and Idah going out next month, which I think would be a good idea. Just like Sargent, he also made his league debut for us in the top flight but gained nothing from it as he had no Championship experience

Hugill - Was behind Pukki and Idah last season, so didn’t get much game time. I think he can cut it in the Championship as in a spell  where Pukki and Idah were out injured he did quite well. Not good enough for the PL though

Rashica - Done well for us so far, and I can see him scoring some this season. I can’t us selling him yet considering he only arrived this summer and has a sell-on clause in him. If he does stay then I think he’ll do great in the Championship 

Tzolis - Did great on his debut for us, although that was against the Bournemouth reserves. Still only a teenager, and I hold the same view on him as I do with Sargent

Like sgncfc has said, as we can’t afford to sign a top quality Championship striker I think we have to look at our reserves. Idah should be sent out for a Championship loan next month to try and get him ready for next season. I think Sargent and Tzolis could also benefit massively from a good season of Championship experience

Out of our reserves, Omotoye, Dickson-Peters, and Rowe are all possibilities. Omotoye has been sent out on loan but unfortunately isn’t getting the game time we wanted him to get. Dickson-Peters and Rowe are looking very promising in the U23s and are still in their teens, so I do believe we might be able to get them up to senior level. Maybe give them some game time against Charlton or send one of them out on loan for the remainder of the season

If we do manage to get at least one of these 3 up to senior level, it would save us a lot of money - the last thing we want is to spend loads on a striker and end up finding we’ve signed another Drmic. It could even earn us quite a bit in the near future. In order to achieve it though, we need to work on getting them ready fast as we don’t have much time to do it. Recall Hugill, send Idah out on a Championship loan for the remainder of the season, and give D-P and Rowe some game time in the cup or send one out on loan

Got to Hugill, sadly it lost all credibility at that point. Sorry.