Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Should we sell Max?

Should we sell Max?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sell Max

• Yes
    • No

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/should-ncfc-cash-in-on-max-aarons-8578122

Personally I think the time has come. Max isnt having a good season imo. Defensively suspect and not offering much going forward at present.

Between Williams, Byram and Mumba we can probably cover the position without having to buy a replacement.

We DO need a number of team deficits filling - personally I think we badly need a proper striker to support Pukki, as Hugill, Drmic, Idah or Sargent arent it.

I think we also badly need a playmaker - Dowell doesnt seem to be considered to be able to play CM (or indeed anywhere) so I dont see how he fits into our team.

So though I love Max, if we can get the kind of money we want for him, I would take the money. We arent dead and buried and can rescue the season, but we need new players and seemingly we dont have any money

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

He's improved a lot since Smith has come in although his decision making in the final third needs work.

My question is though, is anyone spending big money on a right back in January?

• Like 1

I'd add, although he's good and we like him, I personally think he's great, but try and pick a Prem team where he'd be a massive upgrade on their current RB. It's a toughy. #hardtalk 

4 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

I'd add, although he's good and we like him, I personally think he's great, but try and pick a Prem team where he'd be a massive upgrade on their current RB. It's a toughy. #hardtalk 

Newcastle seem to be playing Murphy in the right back position and I would consider him a significant upgrade there, they also have the money to spend.

Yes, he's the most saleable asset we have.

A fullback has never, and will never, keep a team in the league. Any league.

If we have any ambitions of staying up, it seems to be the only realistic choice.

He can do no more here, and will only start to stale in my opinion.  I honestly think we've seen the best of him and he deserves a move to freshen his career up.

Have no doubts that Williams, Dimi & Byram could be at least as effective.  Although Williams has been saying he's best on the left.

If he still commands a decent fee then it will help both parties to progress.

I think we'll need to... how much will we even get for him though? Honestly can't see him going for much more than £22-23 mil right now. He's hardly been pulling up trees has he?  

A bit worrying who the next big sale is going to be after him though. 

• Cantwell I can't see even fetching more than £7 million right now... 
  • Omobamidele hasn't realised his value anywhere near enough, we need him to turn into the £25-30 million player we know he can be and that might be a year or two down the line. 
  • Idah has not come on like we hoped, realistically can't see him getting much more than £5 million right now if that.
  • Tzolis and Rashica we might get our money back, but what's the point? 
  • Sargent is not even close to being a saleable asset. 

Who else even is there to sell? No one of any value...

We've really struggled to replicate the success of the 18/19 transfer haven't we. You'd think with the much improved money available for reinvesting that we'd have much more in the way of future saleable assets to count on right now. 

It feels like the model is losing momentum a bit. If we go down with a bit of a whimper without any of our signings really improving then how on earth are we going to fund a rebuild in the league below? Perhaps these same signings can come good in the championship? 

Hopefully the second half of the season is a time where players like Tzolis, Sargent, Omobamidele, Idah etc will start to assert themselves in the team but at the moment that is looking very hopeful indeed!

• Like 1

£25m - £30m for him with Mumba and Byram behind isn't a bad position to be at right-back, and if we were lucky enough to get that, it should finance a serviceable striker and possibly a promising talent at anchorman. Wouldn't be surprised if Sörensen and Rupp could play right-back at Championship level either.

Aarons would probably fit in well at Man Utd as Wan-Bissaka's not really a great attacker, whereas Aarons is better on the front foot even if the decision-making can irritate on occasion. However, in a side that can keep the ball well, he's in his element.

13 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think we'll need to... how much will we even get for him though? Honestly can't see him going for much more than £22-23 mil right now. He's hardly been pulling up trees has he?  

Newcastle will pay closer to 30mil as he's British and Rio's management will push him as the best right back in England behind the scenes.   I think Howe would be happy to take him too, there's talk of Kieran Trippier, but Aarons is a much better investment and longterm would be cheaper as lower wages and more years in his prime.

Max's biggest issue is lack of threat displayed going forwards, and why we wouldn't miss him.  If we got 25m that's still a good signing for us further up the field.

Edited by Google Bot

No one apart from Newcastle is going to pay the money we want for Aarons in January and selling to a relegation rival wouldn't be very sensible. 

Max is a good player for us but when you compare him to the full backs at Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City he's not remotely close to their standards. Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd all aspire to players to compete with the top 3. Even Villa have solid full backs now.

Likely destinations might be West Ham, Everton or Palace but I genuinely don't see any of them parting with £20m+ when we are likely to be shut down again in a couple of weeks.

I think we should. He’s done really well for us but neither he or we will get to our respective next levels staying together. It would probably suit both for him to go up the food chain and we reinvest.

Although Webber’s recent transfer dealings would have him ‘sp*nking the money up the wall’ as he so described McNally. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/should-ncfc-cash-in-on-max-aarons-8578122

Personally I think the time has come. Max isnt having a good season imo. Defensively suspect and not offering much going forward at present.

Between Williams, Byram and Mumba we can probably cover the position without having to buy a replacement.

We DO need a number of team deficits filling - personally I think we badly need a proper striker to support Pukki, as Hugill, Drmic, Idah or Sargent arent it.

I think we also badly need a playmaker - Dowell doesnt seem to be considered to be able to play CM (or indeed anywhere) so I dont see how he fits into our team.

So though I love Max, if we can get the kind of money we want for him, I would take the money. We arent dead and buried and can rescue the season, but we need new players and seemingly we dont have any money

I despair of our fan base on occasions. Max has performed consistently here and never let’s us down, but the negativity about him is staggering. With no evidence people think we can cover his position with a loan player who doesn’t want to play there ( and only then if Dimi is also fit), a relatively inexperienced kid and a massively injury prone player who may or may not come good. Yet many of these posters then accuse the club of ‘ little old Norwich syndrome’

Max defends well and is an outlet on the right . We must keep players of his quality if we are to have a chance of staying up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Newcastle will pay closer to 30mil as he's British and Rio's management will push him as the best right back in England behind the scenes.   I think Howe would be happy to take him too, there's talk of Kieran Trippier, but Aarons is a much better investment and longterm would be cheaper as lower wages and more years in his prime.

Max's biggest issue is lack of threat displayed going forwards, and why we wouldn't miss him.  If we got 25m that's still a good signing for us further up the field.

I'd forgotten about the Newcastle tax! Could definitely see that, would feel a bit of a kick to sell to Newcastle mid season mind

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Max defends well and is an outlet on the right . We must keep players of his quality if we are to have a chance of staying up.

A fullback has never, and will never, keep a team in the league. Any league.

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

A bit worrying who the next big sale is going to be after him though. 

• Cantwell I can't see even fetching more than £7 million right now... 
  • Omobamidele hasn't realised his value anywhere near enough, we need him to turn into the £25-30 million player we know he can be and that might be a year or two down the line. 
  • Idah has not come on like we hoped, realistically can't see him getting much more than £5 million right now if that.
  • Tzolis and Rashica we might get our money back, but what's the point? 
  • Sargent is not even close to being a saleable asset. 

Who else even is there to sell? No one of any value...

We've really struggled to replicate the success of the 18/19 transfer haven't we. You'd think with the much improved money available for reinvesting that we'd have much more in the way of future saleable assets to count on right now. 

It feels like the model is losing momentum a bit. If we go down with a bit of a whimper without any of our signings really improving then how on earth are we going to fund a rebuild in the league below? Perhaps these same signings can come good in the championship? 

Hopefully the second half of the season is a time where players like Tzolis, Sargent, Omobamidele, Idah etc will start to assert themselves in the team but at the moment that is looking very hopeful indeed!

Excellent post. I said the same thing about the model yesterday. What felt like a deluge of talent teetering on the brink has turned into a bit of a trickle now. We have what, Omobamidele now as a potential £15+ mill player and that’s being generous right now. 

Id be wary of selling Max this window owing to who we have as reserve. You’re telling me we want to rely on Bryam to return as before his injury and that Mumba, who’s had rarely any minutes, to step into that void?! That would be crazy to do. Though I appreciate, if we stayed off selling him he’d depreciate in value having two relegations on his CV… it’s a tough one but we still have a shot of staying up right now with him in the squad as opposed to being weakened without him. 

3 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Excellent post. I said the same thing about the model yesterday. What felt like a deluge of talent teetering on the brink has turned into a bit of a trickle now. We have what, Omobamidele now as a potential £15+ mill player and that’s being generous right now. 

Id be wary of selling Max this window owing to who we have as reserve. You’re telling me we want to rely on Bryam to return as before his injury and that Mumba, who’s had rarely any minutes, to step into that void?! That would be crazy to do. Though I appreciate, if we stayed off selling him he’d depreciate in value having two relegations on his CV… it’s a tough one but we still have a shot of staying up right now with him in the squad as opposed to being weakened without him. 

We could probably get by with Williams at right back, Giannoulis at left back, and Byram, Mumba, Sorensen, or even Omobamidele (did quite well against Leeds) as back ups. I reckon that's quite a good trade off if it means we can bring in 1-2 quality players elsewhere on the pitch!

But appreciate its a very big 'if' based on the performances of the signings so far this season, and if the summer recruitment is the guide then we're definitely better off not selling.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do feel him and Cantwell are the most likely to go

Who’s going to buy Cantwell? He didn’t have any suitors when he was playing well.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Selling him to a relegation rival seems a bizarre move if we are serious about staying up.

20 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Selling him to a relegation rival seems a bizarre move if we are serious about staying up.

Our only rival is points on the board, doesn't matter a **** what other teams do if you're not hitting at least 38 pts yourself, spend no time worrying about others or you'll get caught gazing.  

If the only way for Smith to get money and bring in quality that he needs is by selling Max, then so be it - He's not improving with us, and started to stale under Farke.  I have no doubts that letting him progress and us investing elsewhere on the field is a benefit to all involved.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I despair of our fan base on occasions. Max has performed consistently here and never let’s us down, but the negativity about him is staggering. With no evidence people think we can cover his position with a loan player who doesn’t want to play there ( and only then if Dimi is also fit), a relatively inexperienced kid and a massively injury prone player who may or may not come good. Yet many of these posters then accuse the club of ‘ little old Norwich syndrome’

Max ISNT a great defender and has offered very little going forward compared to previous sales. One team (Burnley?) targeted him due to his aerial weaknesses and he is regularly out of position leading to us conceding goals (see Villa first goal for most recent example)

Max is most effective in a team which has the upper hand in games. He isnt really suited to playing for a team like us in the Premier League. Championship yes, but not PL. 

He is destined for bigger things and it is a question of when we will sell him, not if.

He's likely to go if we get relegated. Overall I think our chances of not getting relegated are greater having sold him and hopefully put the money to good use than what he offers on the pitch for us.

For Max's sake I hope he gets a move, must be disheartening to be overlooked.  However some criticism must come his way, doesn't seem to have improved at either end of the field since his introduction.  £20m would be generous as a transfer fee unless its Newcastle, fleece them rightly.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Who’s going to buy Cantwell? He didn’t have any suitors when he was playing well.

Back in the summer he was linked to Leeds and Villa. There was also rumour about Newcastle showing interest earlier this season

I really don't like the idea of selling one of our few consistent performers now. Maybe in summer if he wants a move and where there is a better chance of spending the money wisely. What we sure don't want to do is lose Max and replace him with another Naismith/Hugill/Sargent in a desperate attempt to buy a striker when a) few good ones are for sale and b) they don't want to join a rock bottom team. 

Not sure his value would make enough difference to a survival kitty. Better to hang on and use him in the Champs where he looks a decent player.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

£25m - £30m for him with Mumba and Byram behind isn't a bad position to be at right-back, and if we were lucky enough to get that, it should finance a serviceable striker and possibly a promising talent at anchorman. Wouldn't be surprised if Sörensen and Rupp could play right-back at Championship level either.

Aarons would probably fit in well at Man Utd as Wan-Bissaka's not really a great attacker, whereas Aarons is better on the front foot even if the decision-making can irritate on occasion. However, in a side that can keep the ball well, he's in his element.

I think Rupp could definitely do a job at right back