TeemuVanBasten

Where did Webber think the goals were going to come from...

To keep us up? 

He said Farke had the tools required this time, but this is a team which lacks goals throughout, I suppose he might have expected a few this seasn from Rashica. but we know that Rupp can't score, Normann's CV tells us he doesn't score many, Kenny McLean scored 1 goal in this division last time, Gilmour has never scored a goal for club or country, and we know that Idah and Sargent have yet to find their goalscoring boots in weaker leagues.

We don't even have a player with a track record of scoring from free-kicks on the edge of the box, Dowell the closest to that I suspect but we clearly didn't go into this season with plans to play a number 10 and that is, quite simply, Dowell's position. He doesn't have the pace for the wide areas.

How did Webber ever expect this team to be able to conjure up a sufficient number of goals to stay in this league, and what exactly is the plan B when Pukki gets an injury and misses 4 or 5 games, as he has in the past two seasons?

I still think it was right for Farke to go, and I still think Dean Smith is more likely to get us putting up a fight as the players just seemed to need the change in impetus, but the tool set hasn't changed has it? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To keep us up? 

He said Farke had the tools required this time, but this is a team which lacks goals throughout, I suppose he might have expected a few this seasn from Rashica. but we know that Rupp can't score, Normann's CV tells us he doesn't score many, Kenny McLean scored 1 goal in this division last time, Gilmour has never scored a goal for club or country, and we know that Idah and Sargent have yet to find their goalscoring boots in weaker leagues.

We don't even have a player with a track record of scoring from free-kicks on the edge of the box, Dowell the closest to that I suspect but we clearly didn't go into this season with plans to play a number 10 and that is, quite simply, Dowell's position. He doesn't have the pace for the wide areas.

How did Webber ever expect this team to be able to conjure up a sufficient number of goals to stay in this league, and what exactly is the plan B when Pukki gets an injury and misses 4 or 5 games, as he has in the past two seasons?

I still think it was right for Farke to go, and I still think Dean Smith is more likely to get us putting up a fight as the players just seemed to need the change in impetus, but the tool set hasn't changed has it? 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To keep us up? 

All’s not lost, Hugill could be back in January. 

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To keep us up? 

Perceptive. 

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Perceptive. 

As per usual Corky, you've got absolutely nothing to offer. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

All’s not lost, Hugill could be back in January. 

I'd honestly rather we had another punt on Drmic, and that would be pretty depressing in itself. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd honestly rather we had another punt on Drmic, and that would be pretty depressing in itself. 

Imagine if they both return, what’s not to like. 

I agree with you TvB. It really rankled (and still does) that Idah was deemed the answer to our Pukki support when he had virtually no season before. 

We suffered the same problem when last in the Prem and that was when we had Buendia and Cantwell who now looks like a shadow.

I genuinely believe you have a good point here. It’s like lessons weren’t learned at all and ultimately the buck stops with who committed to our signings. Anyone else thought “hmmm I like Rashica, Tzolis could be exciting… but there’s a lingering doubt about support for Pukki…” that should never have been allowed. Pretty damning in fairness. 

• Like 1

The fact is Webber screwed up again and I now think the majority of fans can see this, as I suspect the man himself can as well. 

I'm now at the point where we have to accept our squad is the weakest in the league and we just need to get behind the boys and hope we show some grit and fight this season and then you never know what will happen. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

As per usual Corky, you've not got absolutely anything to offer. 

To you, correct. Again, truly perceptive. 

Whatever ' sector ' of employment  you have moved to,  is truly blessed. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, priceyrice said:

The fact is Webber screwed up again and I now think the majority of fans can see this, as I suspect the man himself can as well. 

I'm now at the point where we have to accept our squad is the weakest in the league and we just need to get behind the boys and hope we show some grit and fight this season and then you never know what will happen. 

The trouble is, last time we spent big (for us) with Neil, it took Delia another almost 5 years to open those purse strings! 

The only way Webber walks away from this transfer oversight is if we stay up. And heck knows how SaS can squeeze that out of us?! 

I guess he was expecting much more from Tzolis, Cantwell and Sargent as attaching options and like most of us he though Gilmore would be able to contribute the odd key pass/assist.

I'm afraid he seems to have got plenty wrong. Again 

Table don't lie.....Our goals (or lack of) and our goals against/conceded......Not a good look.....

The other week when Pukki took a knock and went down for a few minutes I feared the worst.....Fortunately he was ok......

January will be soon upon us - but I fear we won't improve on our weaknesses.....

Perhaps he's written a nice letter to Father Christmas asking for some goals. He's got more chance of getting some from him than our current 'strikers'.

Or maybe we can get someone on loan from Wroxham or King's Lynn.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To keep us up? 

Strange that some would try to belittle you for this comment as it is spot on. To go into a Premier League campaign with only a 31 year old striker and a couple of largely untried kids is bizarre.  Maybe the large volume of goalkeepers says much about what part of the pitch he expected his team to spend their time in.

Hope Smith gets some worthwhile funds to plug the awful attacking void. If he does I reckon it is still very possible to stay up.

I think he was expecting Rashica, Sargent, and Cantwell to get a few. We were also never expecting Cantwell’s attitude to turn out like this either - although he had a bit of a problem last Autumn, he did ok last time in the PL and well in the Championship last season.

Some of us, including me thought that Idah should have gone for a Championship loan this season considering he didn’t get much game time last season. There’s been some talk about Hugill being recalled and Idah sent out next month

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rashica, Pukki and Sargent. Next question.

High level, I reckon he was hoping for;

Pukki 15

10 each from Sargent and Rashica

5 each from Cantwell, Tzolis, Normann, and McLean 

Then a couple each from the CB’s, Gilmour, Idah and Aarons, 

That would have given 75 goals (🤣) , 

16 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

High level, I reckon he was hoping for;

Pukki 15

10 each from Sargent and Rashica

5 each from Cantwell, Tzolis, Normann, and McLean 

Then a couple each from the CB’s, Gilmour, Idah and Aarons, 

That would have given 75 goals (🤣) , 

Plus a 90th minute headed goal from a corner by Krul?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Strange that some would try to belittle you for this comment as it is spot on..

Don't worry its the same couple of people who get proven wrong time and time again, and Corky just has a massive man crush, dedicates 80% of his Pink'un posts to attacking me because he's in denial about his feelings. 

• Haha 1

I'm with corkio. You're like a bull in a china shop that keeps knocking over the same piece of china. 

For what it's worth, there is still time in the season for people to step up and show they can score at this level. Rashica and Tzolis both have goals in them, as does Idah and even Sargent, who often gets in good positions. Nil desperandum, there is yet time!

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

I guess he was expecting much more from Tzolis, Cantwell and Sargent as attaching options and like most of us he though Gilmore would be able to contribute the odd key pass/assist.

I'm afraid he seems to have got plenty wrong. Again 

Did he not say in an interview that Tsoliz wasn't a signing for this season though? I mean, that might have been him justifying a lack of football.... but if it is one for the future, then one could be forgiven for perhaps thinking that his fee + most of the Gunn fee might have been better off going on an out and out striker to provide Pukki competition / cover and a real threat from the bench.

It is a bit of a joke that we've succession planned for Krul but not for Pukki, there surely isn't a chance in hell that Sargent is Pukki succession planning, if he can't shoot at 21 then he won't be able to shoot at 25... that's not how it works, people start playing for academies at 6 years of age now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm with corkio. You're like a bull in a china shop that keeps knocking over the same piece of china. 

And you have a long track record of being highly delusional, unrealistic, and you back every manager right to the very end, meaning that if it were up to you we'd still have Nigel Worthington as manager. Your delusions are probably due to excessive magic mushroom intake in the olden days (not that I blame you, because they are fun).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And you have a long track record of being highly delusional, unrealistic, and you back every manager right to the very end, meaning that if it were up to you we'd still have Nigel Worthington as manager. Your delusions are probably due to excessive magic mushroom intake in the olden days (not that I blame you)

For me football is about hope, loyalty, aspirations and believing in people. I'd rather be like that than chucking it in and then complaining ad nauseam about how bad things are.  Your op is yet another attempt to put a downer on an aspect of the club, this time Webber, yet we have not been lucky with injuries, covid, the way the fixtures set us off this season and the battle to turn it round.

For me, it is not about personalities like Webber. It is a process - a process that started with an impossible start to the season. That process has turned into a downward spiral, first under Farke and now continuing under Smith now the new manager bounce has finished. The process will reach rock bottom and we will all think it can't get any worse, at which point the pressure releases because no-one expects anything, players start to relax and we start to improve. Players will find their feet and goal scoring boots and we will see better things.

For me the process was always going to be like that - a season long development and is why I was so against Farke being sacked - the best from this squad will be seen later in the season.  I know some people only see doom and gloom, that things will just carry on the same, but that rarely happens in football - we will improve.

I expect he was banking on the midfield contributing somewhat more in terms of goals.

Cantwell had 6 goals last time in the Premier League, Rashica has 20 across his last 3 seasons in the Bundesliga, Lees Melou and Sargent generally chip in with at least 4 or 5 a season, Dowell has a similar track record (albeit at a lower level). Chuck in Tzolis as a wildcard who grabbed 11 goals in Greece too.

None are hugely prolific but I don't think its unfair to have expected that those 6 players to have contributed more than 0 goals so far this season.

I get people look to strikers for goals and wonder about our options there but I think our biggest problem is that group not getting on the scoresheet. We had similar last time around where Pukki and Cantwell were the only players to get more than one league goal all season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think our biggest problem is that group not getting on the scoresheet. We had similar last time around where Pukki and Cantwell were the only players to get more than one league goal all season.

Exactly this. And was the same in 19/20. It just feels like a re run of then. I wonder if the implementation to a new formation was a bridge too far too soon for Farke and the players bought in? And the expectations that players like Gilmour and Cantwell would perform. I appreciate there’s still plenty of the season to go but it’s alarming how few goals we’ve scored when the opportunity has been presented. 

Webber's business in the transfer market leaves an awful lot to be desired for the second summer running. However he has worked wonders with the transformation of Colney so maybe his true vocation is as a builder ?

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

As per usual Corky, you've not got absolutely anything to offer. 

He has yet to tell you ( again ) how wonderful life is in the Emerald isle and that he is living the dream. 😛

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Exactly this. And was the same in 19/20. It just feels like a re run of then. I wonder if the implementation to a new formation was a bridge too far too soon for Farke and the players bought in? And the expectations that players like Gilmour and Cantwell would perform. I appreciate there’s still plenty of the season to go but it’s alarming how few goals we’ve scored when the opportunity has been presented. 

I think that's part of it. We lost Skipp and Buendia but have effectively lost Cantwell as well. Gilmour came in with much fanfare but has so far failed to live up to even a fraction of it. Whilst I doubt anyone was banking on him to get the goals we needed, I suspect a few were hoping he'd put plenty on a plate for his team-mates.

And as King Canary said, I don't think even the biggest doom-mongers would have predicted that by Christmas the combined goals total of Rashica, Tzolis, Sargent, Cantwell, PLM and Dowell would be the square root of zero.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

For me football is about hope, loyalty, aspirations and believing in people.

Is that why you had a big wobble because it took Webber more than 6 days to replace Farke? 

And what happened to your hope here

Donut.