Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Who thinks boxing day games will happen?

4 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Spot on. The government will not want to bring in further restrictions, that’s why they are so desperate for the booster program to be a success and slow the hospitalisations if at all possible. 

Can genuinely see the end of Johnson as PM in the not too distant if the rebels continue.

Johnson clearly risks a vote of no confidence if he tries to push through greater restrictions dependent upon support from Labour votes. It literally could be the end of him. If the mood music is toward an even greater rebellion than the 100 or so MP's who rejected vaccine passports etc, then I think it's unlikely he would even seek to bring forward a vote on greater restrictions.

As such, I think Boxing Day games will go ahead, Covid cases in playing staff permitting. There seems to be some discussion around postponing the 28th Dec round of fixtures simply to give players more recovery time given clubs are playing with reduced squad sizes. Will wait to see what happens with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

There seems to be some discussion around postponing the 28th Dec round of fixtures simply to give players more recovery time given clubs are playing with reduced squad sizes. Will wait to see what happens with that.

Be interesting to see Amazon's response to that one, considering they have the package for every game that day. 

21 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

I dont think so, personally think next full round of games will be new years day

I hope they decide before the day...it's a decent trek to Leicester and we don't want a repeat of Watford vs. Burnley when it was called off so close to the game.

2 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

I hope they decide before the day...it's a decent trek to Leicester and we don't want a repeat of Watford vs. Burnley when it was called off so close to the game.

Could be worse, spurs Burnley 

• Like 1

Tuchel also has concerned according to BBC. I'd be very surprised if our Boxing Day game happens, even if the EPL wants it to.

10 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Johnson clearly risks a vote of no confidence if he tries to push through greater restrictions dependent upon support from Labour votes. It literally could be the end of him.

You don't think they're planning to kill him ? Slightly OTT 😉

If there is at least one game that can go ahead then I think it will. In the past, the broadcasters have been keen to fine the EPL if the games do not take place. But I think that they will be happy if they can show at least one game.

Obviously the 28th may be different as Amazon shows them all. But maybe the clubs could miss Boxing Day and hope that the spread has stopped inside their own club bubbles. Training should certainly be arranged on a more individual basis with training games avoided.

If we lockdown again then the government will need to finance another furlough program, and we are unable to do that. We gambled and broke the bank thinking the initial lockdowns would solve the problems. But here we are again, and maybe the same again with another variant. And now we’re letting it rip - the very thing the government was trying to avoid at the beginning but we do have the “protection” of vaccines and boosters. 

There won’t be a government lockdown, but the PL themselves could take initiative as the competition is becoming unbalanced with some games going ahead others not, unclear rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

When everyone has agreed with with the chairman. 

image.jpeg.e00701b785ab2c00e0dd3ef343ff1a40.jpeg

Is he still pitch at Spurs moaning... god he goes on

16 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

There will be enormous pressure on the Premier League from clubs to come up today (Monday) with some kind of rational and clearly-defined system to determine whether matches should go ahead, as opposed to the current baffling and seemingly contradictory hotch_potch. If the EPL can't announce that for the next round of matches then I believe the clubs will force a break on the EPL until it does so.

They seem to have done that:

The rules on Covid postponements were outlined at the meeting. Clubs have been asked to ensure U21 players, who have the relevant experience, are available for selection in the event of further positive tests to first team players.

And those on the call and in the room have been warned that when they deemed a player unavailable due to injury the league's chief medical officer could investigate.

Clubs were told that no postponements would be permitted where 13 outfield players and one goalkeeper from the squad list are available.

Where fewer than 13 plus one are available, the balance can be met by what have been deemed 'appropriately experienced under 21s', which could include any U21 player who was started a first team match in the current or preceding season for their current club, previous EFL club or any overseas club in first team competition.

In the case of an U21 goalkeeper, they will have been listed on the team sheet for five or more matches in the preceding 12 months.

Clubs have also been advised that the Premier League board will not consider what they have deemed 'subjective factors' such as the quality or experience of available versus unavailable players and whether a team is lacking in a particular position outside of goalkeeper.

Should they deem a player unavailable due to injury the league's chief medical officer may inquire to 'confirm status'.

For away games, the travelling party must contain as many available players as possible, with Premier League matches taking priority over non-first team competitions. Should eligible Under 21s have played in such a competition a short time before the Premier League match they will still be deemed available. 

9 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Seems an awfully low bar! Punishes teams like us with small squads.

The interesting question is how many of our U21 outfielders - these potential fill-ins - have started a match for us this season or last. At a glance I couldn't see anyone! It may mean we try to bring back some loanees.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The interesting question is how many of our U21 outfielders - these potential fill-ins - have started a match for us this season or last. At a glance I couldn't see anyone! It may mean we try to bring back some loanees.

Not many at all but there’s been a wave of professional contracts signed, so we’re at least preparing. Byram in CDM isn’t what I expected at start of season. 

On 19/12/2021 at 16:23, Sooty57 said:

As the danger period is in the winter, let's move the season into the summer. This will have the added bonus of not having to rely on cricket for entertainment during the summer months, and the other home nations not suffering the. disappointment  of failing to qualify for the World Cup 🤪

'Cricket' and 'Entertainment' in the same sentence is a bit of a curious juxtaposition for me 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sunak just announces further financial aid for hospitality and leisure. I didn’t think they’d do it. Step 2 restrictions and maybe more now inevitable. 

Not starting a new thread on this as it's scottish fitba, but Scots goverment now restricting attendances to max 500 for outdoor events for 3 weeks. Old firm game on 2nd Jan will be affected, but I'd say some clubs in Scotland struggle to get over 500 per game anyway, but the xmas games are likely to be bumper crowds

Edited by KiwiScot