Sign in to follow this  
mastoola

Tom Dickson-Peters

Might as well play him in the first team. He can't be any worse than Sarge or Idah 

• Like 1

Has to be handled carefully I would suggest. Played to soon and has a rough time it could cause a lot of problems for him. However, we have seen young players make it and they go from strength to strength. With the little on offer at the moment up front, it would be good to see how he performs - perhaps off the bench for a few games? 

5 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Whilst agreeing playing as an attacker is different to being a defender are we forgetting that big Andy is still a teenager. Some would say he is our best centre back. He was given the chance and stepped up. Who is to say that one of the Under 23s who have been playing well and scoring goals would not do the same.

Probably the staff who work with them 5 days a week?

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Probably the staff who work with them 5 days a week?

Exactly so. But it was a terrible run of injuries that gave big Andy his opportunity. In this case it is a miserable period in front of goal. We regularly see suggestions far more outlandish than playing a young striker in a striking role. But I would agree it should be with the staff who see them each week, but don't be surprised if we see one of them on the bench in place of, or with, Idah and making their debut soon.

18 hours ago, mastoola said:

I have    But he deserves being discussed on his own merit.  When do you give him a chance?  

We gave Idah a chance. And it has proven to be the wrong decision. Not ready to play at the level we're at. Very unlikely we have any youth players who can walk into a Premier League level team. Give him a loan and if he replicates such form in Men's competitive football, something Idah has NOT done, and something Morris failed to do so was let go, then we give him a chance.

Everyone saying we've successfully blooded youngsters from the U23s.

Any at Premier League level? I can only think of players we've successfully blooded at Championship level

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

Whenever I've watched the young lads on youtube I'll be honest and say I haven't seen a player ready to make any kind of impact in the PL playing for us, the level is just so different and even though we have a few players who show flashes nobody ever takes the game by the scruff of the neck and makes me think wow he's definitely going to make it. If Josh Martin was playing for our youth teams he'd be the stand out player every week and he's not exactly ripping up L1 right now, likewise Idah and Sargent would absolutely rip the PL2 to pieces. I think people just need some perspective and to be a little bit more realistic when it comes to our young players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Whenever I've watched the young lads on youtube I'll be honest and say I haven't seen a player ready to make any kind of impact in the PL playing for us, the level is just so different and even though we have a few players who show flashes nobody ever takes the game by the scruff of the neck and makes me think wow he's definitely going to make it. If Josh Martin was playing for our youth teams he'd be the stand out player every week and he's not exactly ripping up L1 right now, likewise Idah and Sargent would absolutely rip the PL2 to pieces. I think people just need some perspective and to be a little bit more realistic when it comes to our young players.

I don't think anyone is talking about a starting position, just a ten minute cameo to give them a taste.

There is nothing like experience to drive a talent forward.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I don't think anyone is talking about a starting position, just a ten minute cameo to give them a taste.

There is nothing like experience to drive a talent forward.

Perhaps we should remember that we seem to have no other goalscorer except Teemu. 

21 hours ago, mastoola said:
15 games
13 goals
6 assists

Discuss 

Id give him a go over useless Adam 

8 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Id give him a go over useless Adam 

Adam is not useless, I am certain if he is performing in training he will get a first team chance

20 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Our club has an excellent track record in recent years of bringing through good Championship or Premier League level players so I'm not sure I really understand your point. 

At the end of the day we also have a duty of care to give players the greatest chance of making it in the game, so if we loan a player to League Two and they don't really show that they belong at a higher level and end up in League Two, that is still a successful outcome.

Not really sure what your question is really... Lewis and Aarons have shown that the pathway doesn't always require a loan, they went straight into the first team, Godfrey and Cantwell benefited from one. 

As Christoph Stiepermann and the Great Mass Debater have argued the contribution in relation to Premier League players doesn't appear to be great. In Godfrey's case his youth record at NCFC seems a minor interlude between League 2 football at York and League 1 at Shrewsbury. The others you mentioned still played relatively few games at this level which presumably could just as easily have been experienced in the lower leagues?

Clearly Brentford don't think they have the 'duty of care' you refer to. Perhaps  - and only perhaps - their strategy of player recruitment is better suited to getting Premier League quality recruits at modest prices and still with some sell on potential without the overhead that comes with an Academy?

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Adam is not useless, I am certain if he is performing in training he will get a first team chance

He is useless... might aswell bring on a fan. Even against crap teams Ireland play he does nothing. People say about Sargent goalscoring record, I'm sure idah is just as bad 🤣

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

As Christoph Stiepermann and the Great Mass Debater have argued the contribution in relation to Premier League players doesn't appear to be great.

Remember that the Premier League is an extremely rich global league, domestic talent is fighting with talent from all over the world for a space in a 25 man Premier League spot.

Rewind to 1992 and perhaps half the British players playing regularly in the Championship now would be in the top tier then, there were richer leagues in Europe at that time which were more attractive to the top talent across the continent.

Look at our 92-93 squad and your Newman's, Goss's, Polston's are probably all average Championship players today. Although I'm sure Bowen, Crook, Fox and Sutton would still be top tier.

We have Maddison, Godfrey, Lewis, Jacob Murphy, Remi Matthews, Steer, Gunn, Cantwell, Aarons all in squads in the top tier that you could argue have at least partly been developed by our system, with Godfrey and Maddison of course playing U23 football for us before they graduated to the senior team.

Then you've got Korey Smith, Harry Toffolo, Josh Murphy, Declan Rudd, Carlton Morris all having decent careers in the Championship, which pre-McNally was our level for about 15 years, we'd have been thankful for any of those players in the Roeder/Grant/Gunn era! 

It does worry me that we might have just had a fertile period and we're relying on the conveyor belt to keep on producing valuable assets and that we might come unstuck if it doesn't churn any real quality out for a few years, I do worry that we take the ability to produce a player for granted, but then look at Omobamidele, I wondered where the next one big was coming from... and there he is. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Perhaps we should remember that we seem to have no other goalscorer except Teemu. 

Indeed and that was glaringly obvious from the start. Seems like having a shed load of goalkeepers was the masterplan instead.

On 17/12/2021 at 23:00, Indy said:

Unfortunately I don’t think Smith will bring any youngsters in no matter what they do in the youth team, he’ll probably go with Hugill as he’s a seasoned pro, even though he’s bloody ****e!

Based on what?

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Based on what?

Man, as above I was having a wind up! You guys bite too easy! But the youngsters certainly performing deserve a chance of a first team squad place to gain that experience and to get the taste for first team atmosphere…..

Next season I think he might be the equivalent of what Idah was for us last season. If not, I’m convinced he will go out on loan

On 18/12/2021 at 21:41, TeemuVanBasten said:

It does worry me that we might have just had a fertile period and we're relying on the conveyor belt to keep on producing valuable assets and that we might come unstuck if it doesn't churn any real quality out for a few years,

I was thinking exactly this when I was reading Freezer’s loan rundown earlier. Doesn’t seem that any of our “young prospects” on loan are pulling up any trees and that Omobamidele is the only “upcomer” we currently have. I feel what felt like a deluge of talent last few seasons has slowed to a bit of a trickle but then equally there’s a few scoring goals in the u23s that have a bit of hype about them at the minute, the namesake of this thread included. My only concern is, should we go down again, who do we sell for £ that can fill the hole like Maddison, Godfrey, Buendia have?

19 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I was thinking exactly this when I was reading Freezer’s loan rundown earlier. Doesn’t seem that any of our “young prospects” on loan are pulling up any trees and that Omobamidele is the only “upcomer” we currently have. I feel what felt like a deluge of talent last few seasons has slowed to a bit of a trickle but then equally there’s a few scoring goals in the u23s that have a bit of hype about them at the minute, the namesake of this thread included. My only concern is, should we go down again, who do we sell for £ that can fill the hole like Maddison, Godfrey, Buendia have?

You've heard of Max Aarons right? 

19 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Cantwell and Aarons will be going for certain next summer. Aarons because he is good enough for the PL and earn a place in the senior England team, Cantwell because of his attitude and that his contract expires next summer but fortunately with the option of a one year extension.

I can’t see D-P as a first team regular for us next season, but if we get relegated I can see the possibility of him playing in the cup and if we suffer from multiple injuries to our attack force

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You've heard of Max Aarons right? 

I was thinking January (this window) and will he / can he command the kind of fee we have come to expect i.e. 20+ mill?? 

On 18/12/2021 at 20:23, essex canary said:

As Christoph Stiepermann and the Great Mass Debater have argued the contribution in relation to Premier League players doesn't appear to be great. In Godfrey's case his youth record at NCFC seems a minor interlude between League 2 football at York and League 1 at Shrewsbury. The others you mentioned still played relatively few games at this level which presumably could just as easily have been experienced in the lower leagues?

Clearly Brentford don't think they have the 'duty of care' you refer to. Perhaps  - and only perhaps - their strategy of player recruitment is better suited to getting Premier League quality recruits at modest prices and still with some sell on potential without the overhead that comes with an Academy?

How many players from Brentford's much lauded B team have installed themselves as first choice at Brentford, another PL club, or and I'm going to be gracious here, another Championship club?

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

I think Aarons is the last of the £££ assets, it is a worry, when we have one good striker and he's 32.

But there is also Mumba and McCallum and I think they are both at least good Championship players?

It could be that we end up failing come back up, we shed high earners and the likes of Idah, Mumbai and McCallum become established?

A thread about this lad in our U23s and hardly anyone has made an observation about him....   plenty of negative tosh to be had here though....

Technically, this kid looks classy.    Got a bit of skill, looks very comfortable on the ball.    Those stats are pretty good at any level... bet Hugill, even Sargent might not have that many goals in that competition.  

On 20/12/2021 at 14:59, ncfcstar said:

How many players from Brentford's much lauded B team have installed themselves as first choice at Brentford, another PL club, or and I'm going to be gracious here, another Championship club?

Hasn't their strategy been a little like the one we used in getting Buendia and Pukki? They appear to have paid less than us in acquiring Canos. Seems they paid £5 million for Toney having had experience at Northampton and Peterborough rather than under 23 football. In a sense I guess we did better with Lewis and Aarons in acquiring them from Luton without fees then placing them in our U23s - good business but we can't claim at the same time that that helped other Clubs.

Perhaps the King's Lynn theme could be developed a little more with some of these players to give them some experience of adult football at a senior level? That way the Ivan Toney like  experience could perhaps be delivered in a way that helps other clubs without paying the fee.