Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Byram in midfield

EDP saying Smith sees Byram in a central holding midfield role?

Didn't see the game against Villa, but how did he do?

Anyone think he could be a missing puzzle, or do you still think he's better suited to defence? 

Is he better than Sorensen?? 

After two years out, imo he just needs to take it a game at a time and prove his fitness

Hard to know for sure, the overall team performance was so bad, he was one of the better ones out there though, but that really wasn't saying much

Interesting idea. He is - as Smith said - one of those footballers who could probably play anywhere on the pitch and it may be he can do better in defensive midfield than at full back, where we have plenty of cover.  Wouldn't need quite so much pace as a full back and with his injury record, that might be a good thing.  Certainly could do with more dm options! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Interesting idea. He is - as Smith said - one of those footballers who could probably play anywhere on the pitch and it may be he can do better in defensive midfield than at full back, where we have plenty of cover.  Wouldn't need quite so much pace as a full back and with his injury record, that might be a good thing.  Certainly could do with more dm options! 

Reasonable. 

I didn't see a lot to mark him as a DM of potential to be honest. He doesn't look to be quick enough off the mark to get to the danger, but then neither does Sorensen. I'd still prefer him as one of our full backs.

I don’t think we should worry, he’ll be back on the treatment table soon…….he’s as fragile as the other Hammer we bough.

Certainly looks like Smith fits the old stereotype British manager when in trouble don’t use the youth products who are playing in those positions when you can use a journeymen out of position!

Just don’t see it myself, surely he’d be better used in the back four with Sorensen in that position!

This sounds like Dean Smith sending a bit of a message to Webber really.

"My midfielders are sh*t" being that message,

Bit of a damning indictment on Sorenson really isn't it? 

I thought Mumba would perhaps be developed into the new Tettey but evidently not. 

If Byram stays fit and healthy, he's a very decent player. His last PL game before Villa was against ManU and he was solid. One of the better performers that season. Really happy for him about his recovery. Using him as a holding midfielder is out of the box thinking and I like it.

Byram is a class footballer in my opinion and if he can stay fit he may just be part of the solution to our survival this season.

• Like 1

Let's just let him get get a long run of games under his belt with no ill effects before he is claimed to be our new midfield Messiah.

Having Byram fit and playing is a real bonus. He has genuine ability as a defender and it's about time square pegs were put in square holes to get the best out of them.

He has played there before at Leeds before becoming a fully fledged full back. He’s just a good footballer all round so would see no harm trying him there. Can’t do worse than Gilmour!

After some optimism seeing the team sheet against Villa I’m not sure now how you can play Cantwell and Gilmour in the same side. There are weaknesses in them which Premier League teams have and will exploit.

I think there’s a germ of an idea here, but we should extend it to the whole team. Todd spends a lot of time on the ground, so maybe he’d make a good goalie? Teemu is known for his defence splitting runs so perhaps he should start at the centre of ours? Hanley has scored this season, so maybe he could go up front. It would certainly confuse the opposition.

• Haha 1

We aren't dropping Aarons anytime soon and Giannoulis v Williams is one of the ongoing battles this year.

People sometimes forget that despite being an absolute chap, Tetteys only real standout asset was the ability to be standing in the right place at the right time. If Smith sees that in SB (and we know he's comfortable raking someone's shin) then why not.

On 17/12/2021 at 17:47, Samwam27 said:

EDP saying Smith sees Byram in a central holding midfield role?

Didn't see the game against Villa, but how did he do?

Anyone think he could be a missing puzzle, or do you still think he's better suited to defence? 

Is he better than Sorensen?? 

After two years out, imo he just needs to take it a game at a time and prove his fitness

Did alright to be fair. Went through mongs which I loved. Another spot lower down the pecking order for sorensen then I'd guess