Who? Never heard of him……didn’t they say Lampard was going to take that massive job! What happened?

I’d prefer they ballsed up and appointed another failed has been, but finally they’ve decided to give themselves a chance of a miracle and appoint an up and coming, presumably progressive style of coach. I sincerely hope it fails but I think this represents progress for them. 

They'll be hoping that he has a forensic knowledge of 3rd Division football then 😲

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

I’d prefer they ballsed up and appointed another failed has been, but finally they’ve decided to give themselves a chance of a miracle and appoint an up and coming, presumably progressive style of coach.

You mean like they did with Paul Hurst ?

Was being said at the time that OGS was sacked that while the players liked and respected him they thought the training and standard of coaching wasn't up to much and McKenna was part of that team. Could go either way though with highly rated coaches at big clubs, for every Neil Critchley there's a Warren Joyce.

When I saw the headline 'McKenna set for Ipswich job' I was sure it meant Paul McKenna the ex-Preston player because you know, his name is Paul...

'But we're not a big club anymore. We're a small club really when you think about how far we've sunk.You can talk about this and that in the past, but it's not the past that matters. It's the present. And the present at the moment isn't good enough.” Terry Butcher

Burn the heretic. Rip out the blasphemers tongue.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Could have been worse, they could have gone for Dean Smith.

Pathetic response 

• Like 3

Very very risky. They need a motivator and someone who commands respect from what appears a side massively underachieving. Just not so sure they will find that, but you never know.

11 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

I’d prefer they ballsed up and appointed another failed has been, but finally they’ve decided to give themselves a chance of a miracle and appoint an up and coming, presumably progressive style of coach. I sincerely hope it fails but I think this represents progress for them. 

I agree with this. It's an interesting appointment, but in reality, Ashton and the Three Cowboys only had two ways to go.

It needed to be either a "celebrity" appointment like Lampard (stretching it a bit) or an unknown from sources such as this one.

Either way it's "hit or bust," with the whole venture having failed at the first hurdle they now seem to be in the last chance saloon.

An appointment such as McKenna suggests scrupulous research, planning even, and will retain sympathy with the faithful even if it fails.

In many ways, it is taking a similar route to when City appointed Daniel Farke as by going for an unknown it is a complete shot in the dark.

I suspect much more groundwork went into the Farke appointment, but nevertheless I do not see this as a bad move, for a change.

The problem is if McKenna instils that breath of fresh air and gets them up at a whim, then he will instantly be in demand from the bigger boys. It'll be the Man.U. heritage as much as success at Portman Road.

Should he fail, and the money men need promotion from the third tier as a matter  of crucial urgency it seems, then the tightrope that the club balances along gets even narrower.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by BroadstairsR

This reminds me of when Alex Ferguson's no.2 Brian Kidd left Utd to have a go at management. That didn't end well.

Got to give the guy credit, it takes serious balls to take that poisoned chalice as your first job.

Deluded fan base, investor owners seeking a return, and an expensively assembled squad with little talent. 

I would say "good luck" but I'd be lying.

Edited by kirku

Doesn't matter who takes over, he's still got to work with the same shower of tripe that Paul Cook brought in. They won't become league winners just because a new man comes in.

They must know something I don't, as I think it's a huge risk to bring in someone so young in their first post at this stage.

I can see the comparions with Farke, but IMO when he came in we were well aware we were in transition, new direction and were sort of lost in mid table. 

The binners are 'highest budget in the league, best squad in the league, historically should be competing for the PL title' level of expectation. Screaming out for a been-there, done-that functional manager (probably like Harris)

Big gamble but probably more inspiring and interesting than a Harris or other 'experienced' types.

The delusion on TWTD for hilarious for awhile. Some were convinced that Lampard was coming as a big slap in the face to Norwich who he turned down (even though he didn't). Others were talking about getting Nuno or even Solskjaer in as if managers from clubs with Champions League ambitions were going to immediately drop down to midtable league one.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Was being said at the time that OGS was sacked that while the players liked and respected him they thought the training and standard of coaching wasn't up to much and McKenna was part of that team. Could go either way though with highly rated coaches at big clubs, for every Neil Critchley there's a Warren Joyce.

When I saw the headline 'McKenna set for Ipswich job' I was sure it meant Paul McKenna the ex-Preston player because you know, his name is Paul...

One United player said the players were disappointed he didn't leave with Ole because training with him was a bit like going back to school. 

I suppose they have at least tried something different this time. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the worst 😂

Man Utd coaches/alumni haven't done so well in management historically - Phelan, Queiroz, Butt, Neville (x2), OGS and many others.

The last one they had was Roy Keane.....

They've tried everything but "young and unknown" so far so this was really their only option. 

Couldn't they find one of the lad's dads to run the team. Such a shame when parents don't want to be involved in grassroots football.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, daisy said:

Doesn't matter who takes over, he's still got to work with the same shower of tripe that Paul Cook brought in. They won't become league winners just because a new man comes in.

Substitute Stuart Webber for Paul Cook and you could imagine that post was lifted straight from the pages of TWTD 😉