I see young 17 year old Micah Richards scored for man city today. We now live in a football world where if you are good enough you are old enough.  Apparantly Micah had impressed for the reserves and has had a few appearancs for the first team.  I cannot see that results would have been any worse had a few of these loan players instaed have been youngsters given a go, thus saving cash and giving the youngsters a chance to show what they can do.

I couldnt agree with you more.  The problem now is that the 2nd and 3rd years scholars will probably be released next month without really having a chance.  Nigel Worthington never watches a youth match and never an away reserve game.  I know he watches some home reserve matches but it appears he watches them when he is checking the fitness of any of his first team members returning from injury.  I do believe that now that the lads only get 2 years whilst it is a fair time to assess them, I feel that many will slip through the net ie. those that develop a bit later than others etc. as you will be telling some "boys" they are not good enough when they are still only 17 years old. it.  I have heard that other clubs are offering their 2nd year scholars a 1 year pro contract (probably very low wages) which I feel would be a good idea so the players can train regular with the frist team, only play reserve team football (not academy as well) and then you may get a good insight into what they are made off..    

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]I see young 17 year old Micah Richards scored for man city today. We now live in a football world where if you are good enough you are old enough.  Apparantly Micah had impressed for the reserves and has had a few appearancs for the first team.  I cannot see that results would have been any worse had a few of these loan players instaed have been youngsters given a go, thus saving cash and giving the youngsters a chance to show what they can do.[/quote]

As much as I wish to see Worthy go I think he is right not to throw any of our younger players in.  Firstly, did you see Hyde?  He had the physical presence of a full grown man, most of our youngsters still look like little boys.  Secondly, what if players such as Spillane, Rossi J, Cave-Brown etc had played in January and been part of a side that lost all but one game?  You just don''t know if their confidence would ever recover, you could be finishing their career before it starts.  Also how long would it take for people such as yourself to blame Worthy for putting too much pressure on these young players or worse still, for people to be overly harsh on them as in the case of Henderson.

As you say "if you are good enough you are old enough" but I think at the end of the day the younger players are not good enough at the moment.  Take Ryan Jarvis, everybody points to the TWO goals he has scored for us but everybody tends to forget he went on loan in the lower leagues last year and did nothing.

Paul,

I think it depends on the talent though. As an extreem example, It was obvious that Wayne Rooney was going to be big, so it was an easy choice for David Moyes to give him the opportunity. Whereas other players need to be developed slowly like Luke Moore at Villa. His slightly older brother Stefan has now gone out on loan somwhere in League one. This is all part of his development. Stefan was originally thought of to be the bigger talent but his development has taken longer. So there you have one club treating two young talents completely differently, simply because they needed to develop at different rates. Lets face it, if Ryan Jarvis had been fit he would have probably seen alot of first team football this year. He made a couple of appearances last year and did well. This year would have seen him play alot more at the lower level to bed him in for the future. Once back fully I would expect to see him feature over the coming weeks.

The guy Richards, as stated has shown immense ability in the reserves at Man City and he''s got his reward. From what I am aware of the Norwich youngsters look good but I haven''t heard any consistant glowing reports about anyone.

It takes a special player at any club to just walk into the first team at 17. I know what your saying about saving money and giving people opportunities but you can''t just throw people in. Any experienced pro will tell you when coming back from injury, that playing in the "stiffs" is a long way off from the rigours of first team football.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

And I notice young striker Danny Crow notched up another goal yesterday, thats 12 goals in 25(5) appearances.  Considering he had a slow start failing to score in his first 8 games, that aint bad.

his NCFC appearance Data:  0(4) no goals

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=40586

[/quote]

Not this again, how many times is this going to be brought up?  Crowe or Ashton?  Crowe or Earnshaw?  Simple reason he was released is because he was not good enough.  I''ll bet good money that he will never play at a higher level than City.

Fact - young players get released by every club, sometimes they go on to to better things ie Andy Cole being released by Arsenal, Beardsley by Man U .  At this point Crowe has had a decent season at a lower level that''s all.  He needed to play elsewhere, Worthington did what was best for him, he would not be in our team, he wouldn''t even get close.  He was behind Jarvis and Henderson let alone McVeigh, McKenzie, Thorne and Hux.

I take your point saint - but when a player like henderson has only found himself getting games out of position, why hasnt he been sent on loan - he is an England U20 player?!? surely a lower league club could take him off our hands for a couple of months.

And I agree Jarvis had a loan spell at colchester in which he had 2 starts and 4 subs, but he has scored 3 goals for us in his few appearances.... 

Part of my point concerns Rehman - Shackell is fit., the play-offs are a pipe dream..  if we cannot buy rehman at the end of the season this loan is a complete waste of time and money.

Also I would say that Jason Jarrett used to play for Blackpool and a youngster, he was released on a free as his manager deemed him not good enough - guess who managed Blackpool at the time................