Sign in to follow this  
pete

Shut it Sutton

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Interesting question really.

I mean, if sold in January, the club could potentially buy a player for that who is simply going to be more useful for us this season? 

Dean Smith sure going to want to bring one or two in? 

Smith will already have sussed out the type of player he wants to fill the holes in the squad and hopefully will bring in some old experienced heads to do the job.

Young with potential is all well and good but not what we need on the pitch right now.

Well I hope those slagging off Todd are not those first to complain come January when we can't afford to buy any new players. Funny how they can say how **** he is then expect other clubs to pay mega bucks for him.

Not saying Sutton is wrong but it ain't doing much for Todd's market value.

Cantwell is a talented player. I can't believe that our coaches are not well used to dealing with a young man's ego, but the game is full of very talented players who nearly made it. Sometimes though, you're just not in the right place so maybe a move elsewhere is what he needs to take him forward. It's fairly routine to structure a deal where we get full value if he achieves his undoubted potential and I'm sure Webber will get that sorted if Smith sanctions it.

2 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Smith will already have sussed out the type of player he wants to fill the holes in the squad and hopefully will bring in some old experienced heads to do the job.

Young with potential is all well and good but not what we need on the pitch right now.

I actually believe that Hourihane will be a target, brings goals from midfield and a threat from set pieces.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Cantwell is a talented player. I can't believe that our coaches are not well used to dealing with a young man's ego, but the game is full of very talented players who nearly made it. Sometimes though, you're just not in the right place so maybe a move elsewhere is what he needs to take him forward. It's fairly routine to structure a deal where we get full value if he achieves his undoubted potential and I'm sure Webber will get that sorted if Smith sanctions it.

Rohan Ricketts is one player who let his ego ruin his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan_Ricketts

He was talented. Just that in his head he thought he was twice as talented as that.

Ravel Morrison

saido berahino

Jack Rodwell

Nile Ranger

Tom Ince

All those players were more talented than Todd.

Edited by Newtopia

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Ravel Morrison

saido berahino

Jack Rodwell

Nile Ranger

Tom Ince

The Nile Ranger one is harsh on Cantwell, he was always dogsh*t, and Tom Ince was overhyped by his own cringey dad through no fault of his own really. 

But Saido Berahinho is a really good example. I keep getting told by one poster about Cantwell scoring 6 goals in the Premier League. 

I'm like, that's wonderful mate but Pilkington scored more.... Berahino scored 14 Prem goals one season, now struggling in League One at 28. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

If mentally (*and i say that for Todds wellbeing) hes not in the right place the club should recognise that and he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Hes been pretty bad performance wise on his two returns so you have to wonder a) how hes got into the team and b) whether he'll stay in the squad if he doesnt pick his performances up

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The Nile Ranger one is harsh on Cantwell, he was always dogsh*t, and Tom Ince was overhyped by his own cringey dad through no fault of his own really. 

But Saido Berahinho is a really good example. I keep getting told by one poster about Cantwell scoring 6 goals in the Premier League. 

I'm like, that's wonderful mate but Pilkington scored more.... Berahino scored 14 Prem goals one season, now struggling in League One at 28. 

Ranger was 18 when he made his debut at Newcastle, and the hype at the time was huge, and ultimately misplaced.  Berahino was a genuinely more exciting prospect, I just want to see Todd really apply himself - otherwise he is going to be playing at Championship or below.

17 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

If mentally (*and i say that for Todds wellbeing) hes not in the right place the club should recognise that and he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Hes been pretty bad performance wise on his two returns so you have to wonder a) how hes got into the team and b) whether he'll stay in the squad if he doesnt pick his performances up

Hundreds of players disappear off the radar every season for a multitude of reasons and I fear Cantwell is going to be one of them and had he not been a local lad with the goodwill of the club behind him I suspect he wouldn't even have got as far as he has.

Local league football is full of talented players who for one reason or another don't have the dedication it takes to move up to the next level.

Edited by Nora's Ghost

17 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Ravel Morrison

saido berahino

Jack Rodwell

Nile Ranger

Tom Ince

David Bentley could be added to the list. 

Sutton is right.

But the reasons...

A young, sensitive man living the dream and finding it's not all it's cracked up to be. Struggling to deal with the pressure.

Sounds like we could have a case of depression on our hands.

Wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

David Bentley could be added to the list. 

Nah, not true,  David Bentley  didn't like  being a professional footy player,  jacked it in of his own  accord . 

Cantwell and Buendia both got suspended by Farke from our fixture against Bournemouth last Autumn due to bad attitude. I think Cantwell wants higher wages and thinks he should be playing regularly for an established PL side. As it stands, I think he’ll struggle to find regular first team football for another PL club considering he found it difficult to make the England U21s.

All we do know is that if he doesn’t go next month, he’ll be going for certain next summer

On 18/12/2021 at 16:26, wcorkcanary said:

Nah, not true,  David Bentley  didn't like  being a professional footy player,  jacked it in of his own  accord . 

Well I've seen a few suggest that Cantwell's problem is very similar, that he's fallen out of love with the sport, time will tell.

Happened to Ben Marshall didn't it, could have had anything between 5 to 8 years left in the game. 

Bentley didn't always dislike football, he fell out of love with the game at Spurs. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well I've seen a few suggest that Cantwell's problem is very similar, that he's fallen out of love with the sport, time will tell.

Happened to Ben Marshall didn't it, could have had anything between 5 to 8 years left in the game. 

Bentley didn't always dislike football, he fell out of love with the game at Spurs. 

I'm sure the truth will out ....eventually, in the meantime I will not be taking part in speculation or character assassination. I was in a very highly paid job untill I was 22, didnt enjoy it, so left. Much easier to do when you are young. I now work as and when I want, earning far more than I did before. I've been fortunate, but if you dont roll the dice.......