42 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

OK so he's not fit.

But give me one good reason why he shouldn't be fit? 

I am in shock.

I totally agree with your point, and I believe that is exactly what LDC said a few weeks ago.   He has to be the one who takes responsibility for his performances, he is an incredibly fortunate, and talented person, yet he has to work hard.  The big moves come for those that maximise their potential with effort on the pitch and in training.

Just now, Newtopia said:

I am in shock.

I totally agree with your point, and I believe that is exactly what LDC said a few weeks ago.   He has to be the one who takes responsibility for his performances, he is an incredibly fortunate, and talented person, yet he has to work hard.  The big moves come for those that maximise their potential with effort on the pitch and in training.

As I have been telling my lads for years:

'Hard work defeats talent when talent does not work hard'

• Like 1

He was pretty atrocious in the first half, like most of the team, and didn't protect his full back. He was starting to get more involved and up to the pace of the game when he got hooked. Quite likely both himself & Placheta were earmarked for substitutions when the team was selected. 

Placheta was causing a few problems & giving a bit of an outlet, again more so in the second half before he got the call. 

But it shouldn't be overlooked how both Cash & Targett looked so good tonight. Far too much time and space leaving Aarons & Williams up against it for the majority of the game. Rupp would certainly have helped in this regard, Normann would have given some bite & forward thrust, Rashica would have been more effective & supported Pukki better, Hanley's leadership was missed, Gilmour looks like a child lost in a shopping centre, Kabak is not the answer, McLean is not a regular PL-standard player, Pukki looks lonely up there, the bench was full of kids, Dimi must be getting the hump at this stage...I could continue but I'm making myself angry. 

Of course there are a few caveats tonight, but I'm reaching the conclusion that I've suspected for a while anyway - the players just aren't good enough. Looking back over the results so far & looking ahead, how could there possibly be 3 worse teams than us come May? Where the hell are 26/27 points going to come from?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

He was pretty atrocious in the first half, like most of the team, and didn't protect his full back. He was starting to get more involved and up to the pace of the game when he got hooked. Quite likely both himself & Placheta were earmarked for substitutions when the team was selected. 

Placheta was causing a few problems & giving a bit of an outlet, again more so in the second half before he got the call. 

But it shouldn't be overlooked how both Cash & Targett looked so good tonight. Far too much time and space leaving Aarons & Williams up against it for the majority of the game. Rupp would certainly have helped in this regard, Normann would have given some bite & forward thrust, Rashica would have been more effective & supported Pukki better, Hanley's leadership was missed, Gilmour looks like a child lost in a shopping centre, Kabak is not the answer, McLean is not a regular PL-standard player, Pukki looks lonely up there, the bench was full of kids, Dimi must be getting the hump at this stage...I could continue but I'm making myself angry. 

Of course there are a few caveats tonight, but I'm reaching the conclusion that I've suspected for a while anyway - the players just aren't good enough. Looking back over the results so far & looking ahead, how could there possibly be 3 worse teams than us come May? Where the hell are 26/27 points going to come from?

I looked at our remaining fixtures before tonight's game and thought we'd do well to get 24 points from them. Sadly my increased enthusiasm from Smith's first 3 games has be crushed by 3 defeats on the bounce. I can't see anyway we get out of our predicament with the players we will have available over the busy Christmas period.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

15 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I looked at our remaining fixtures before tonight's game and thought we'd do well to get 24 points from them. Sadly my increased enthusiasm from Smith's first 3 games has be crushed by 3 defeats on the bounce. I can't see anyway we get out of our predicament with the players we will have available over the busy Christmas period.

That momentary "bounce" is looking bleaker now alright. We're not the only club suffering from injuries/Covid etc. but in reality we'd be up against it anyway, even if all senior players were available for selection. The next 6 (+ FA Cup) between the 18th December to the 21st January are:

West Ham (a)

Arsenal (h)

Palace (a)

Leicester (a)

Charlton (a)

Everton (h)

Watford (a)

We've already lost to Villa, Leeds & Watford at home. Trips to London don't tend to reap many points sadly. It's looking a bit grim and all too familiar. 

10 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So who else out of webbers wonders is going to assist or score?

None at the moment but based on last night he's a million miles off of that level.

He put 2/3 crosses in last night all of which hit this first man, that I can forgive as he got himself in to a decent position but what I can't forgive is bottling a 1v1 with Emi who subsequently nutmegged him and his back turn every time he goes for a header!

I partly blame Smith as he's not a winger as he has absolutely no pace to take people on and on current form he's never going to displace McLean or Gilmour and have less chance of getting in the middle when Norman is back.

On 14/12/2021 at 22:57, Iwans Big Toe said:

The only intelligent run he made was down the tunnel after he's been subbed. 😂

Not really a laughing matter.  That shouts a lack of confidence, or some other deeper problem which these comments are not doing much to alleviate.  Let him alone and leave Smudger to sort it out one way or another.

On 14/12/2021 at 22:33, AJ said:

Like Pukki can't really do a lot unless he gets the ball in decent positions and we are just too slow at getting the ball to either player. Still potentially our best outlet if he gets back into good form but how costly is Buendia leaving starting to look

Everytime Cantwell gets the ball he wants to do a Hoolahan circle with the ball and thus ruining any potential quick breaks.

I'm really quite sad and disappointed how so many fans seem to want to put the boot in when the man is down.

Do you really think that Cantwell wants to perform the way he is? Do you really think he has no pride and enjoys the remarks that are continually being made against him? Do you believe he is unaware of his current form and doesn't want to improve it? Do you not believe he is just as disappointed as the fans at his form and the position the club is in?

Perhaps he needs help to regain his former form and worth. He must realise that he has the opportunity to be a very well paid athlete for probably another ten years. He surely would not purposely jeopardise his future earnings intentionally.

He has the potential to be a good player worth a considerable fee. So why would we, as so many people advocate, get rid of him when his value is now at its lowest for some time? Surely whatever his problems are, he should be helped and encouraged to regain his former worth to the team, for everybody's benefit.

2 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

I'm really quite sad and disappointed how so many fans seem to want to put the boot in when the man is down.

Do you really think that Cantwell wants to perform the way he is? Do you really think he has no pride and enjoys the remarks that are continually being made against him? Do you believe he is unaware of his current form and doesn't want to improve it? Do you not believe he is just as disappointed as the fans at his form and the position the club is in?

Perhaps he needs help to regain his former form and worth. He must realise that he has the opportunity to be a very well paid athlete for probably another ten years. He surely would not purposely jeopardise his future earnings intentionally.

He has the potential to be a good player worth a considerable fee. So why would we, as so many people advocate, get rid of him when his value is now at its lowest for some time? Surely whatever his problems are, he should be helped and encouraged to regain his former worth to the team, for everybody's benefit.

No one wants to put the foot in, he is a really talented local lad, I just think most people want him to take responsibility and be the best footballer he is capable of being.    Everyone I know wants him to be our best player, but all we hear are reasons and excuses, our club (and his) is calling out for a ball playing midfielder capable of creating situations in tight space in the premier league, he is busy having personal issues and letting outside factors stop him from performing.  Pukki really needs a supply line.

23 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

No one wants to put the foot in, he is a really talented local lad, I just think most people want him to take responsibility and be the best footballer he is capable of being.    Everyone I know wants him to be our best player, but all we hear are reasons and excuses, our club (and his) is calling out for a ball playing midfielder capable of creating situations in tight space in the premier league, he is busy having personal issues and letting outside factors stop him from performing.  Pukki really needs a supply line.

I fully agree with you that Pukki needs a supply line.

You say 'all we hear are reasons and excuses' and 'he is busy having personal issues and letting outside factors stop him from performing'.

What are the reasons? What are the personal issues? Like you, this board is full of guesses, none of which have been confirmed.

I will just reiterate, what ever they are, Cantwell needs help, for everybody's sake.

What he does not need is the boot always going in.