chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Villa (PL) *****

Rae these covid related or just injuries, else you wonder how Man U get their's postponed, and others dont.

Great to see Sorensen in the middle, but getting very thin for bench

Good grief, only just clocked how bare the bench is.

Any issues at CM or CB and we've got problems

Edited by kirku

I just hope if we need more attacking options that Rowe and Dickson-Peters are in front of Idah who never appears to make a difference.

Just now, Monty13 said:

Bench is absolutely threadbare though 

Idah, Dowell, Giannoulis. There's your 3 subs there.

Dimi didn't deserve dropping, but he could have been fatigued a bit, and Brandon is bound to be fresh having obviously not been allowed to play against United.

Much more importantly, the Lesser-Spotted Lungi can now be seen in what should be his favoured habitat of defensive midfield, searching for a quarry in the form of a wandering playmaker (known as a Large-Breasted Buendia) to nobble.

I hope Placheta kicks on. He produced an encouraging game against United.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Their bench has several kids on it too. Off the top of my head they're missing Bailey, El Ghazi and Nakamba.

That is one thing worth noting- While they may seem to be fielding a full strength team they have six academy players on their bench 

Love to see what Rowe can do, he's looked excellent for the u23s but probably a bit too much a bit too soon

Edited by kirku

Tuesday fixture so soon after saturday.  We never get a break covid and injuries.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Their bench has several kids on it too. Off the top of my head they're missing Bailey, El Ghazi and Nakamba.

Fair point, was looking at the starting lineup

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Sorensen rewarded for Saturday. Good news.👍👍

I agree that it is good to see him get a start in his favoured position, but I think it's more through injuries and necessity than reward.

Re Giannoulis, I would think this is tactical. He is the only fully fit first team defensive player on the bench. Byram is still not 90mins fit, and hasn't completed a full 90mins in over a year... closer to two I suspect. You'd be reluctant to call upon him. We also don't have much option in terms of width and you'd probably say that Giannoulis is better attacking than Williams so to have him as cover for both on the bench is probably better than on the pitch where it can be harder to change position once in the rhythm of the game.

That's also likely to be why Cantwell gets the start. Better to have his attacking ability from the start in the hope that however long he can last he can give us some cutting edge than start with a defender out wide and lack a cutting edge for the first half.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

Good grief, only just clocked how bare the bench is.

Any issues at CM or CB and we've got problems

I would suggest that CB would mean Sorenson dropping back in. CM may mean reverting to 4-4-2 and throw on Idah up front.

Will wait to kick off to see, but if that is correct, we will be playing inverted wingers with Placheta on the right and Cantwell on the left. Could be a shoot at sight approach.

20 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Its funny, I just don't rate Leicester as a big team but I agree he would have gone to the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea if he was proven. He needs a couple of seasons in the PL to adapt and prove himself, just in time for his big move away from Villa when he is a proven PL player 😪

Oh, they aren't big as in "top 6" but they have been inside the top six more than some of the so called top six and have also won the league title more recently than at least two of the so called top six. 

key game for our season but this 11 is far from impressive as Cantwell looking totally out of form and Placheta never end product.Bench is shocking as never.Hope Gibson fully fit at least.

Fresh absence is Lees-Mellow ,Sergent and Rupp...

2 weeks ago fully fit squad and now half team is out wow

18 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Rae these covid related or just injuries, else you wonder how Man U get their's postponed, and others dont.

Because they're Man Utd, we all know the big club bias is real 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Idah, Dowell, Giannoulis. There's your 3 subs there.

If we're needing Idah, we're screwed. 

1 hour ago, VillaFan said:

I am not even from the Midlands. If you look at my comment history on here, I do post every now and then, I have previously explained why I like Norwich and why I follow Norwich games. But hey, I guess you think it is much better to jump to conclusions when you don't know someone.

Has anyone yet called you a binner? It's almost essential on this forum. Don't take it to heart! 

31 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Its funny, I just don't rate Leicester as a big team but I agree he would have gone to the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea if he was proven. He needs a couple of seasons in the PL to adapt and prove himself, just in time for his big move away from Villa when he is a proven PL player 😪

To tell the truth we royally mugged you off at £38m. Good player, but would struggle to make the bench at Chelsea and the starting Xi at Arsenal.

Just now, NFN FC said:

Has anyone yet called you a binner? It's almost essential on this forum. Don't take it to heart! 

Binner! Just if you were forgetting.

The only time I've ever really disagreed with the club and the manager on what position a player should play in is Mumba. The club sees him as a right back, I think he should be a winger. He's got brilliant close control and dribbling ability and can get round players but he's very short for a PL defender and even in the u23's doesn't look comfortable positionally to me and doesn't like a tackle, I'd rather see him running with the ball into the box all game as a winger than occasionally as a right back. He tore Swansea to shreds last season as a left winger and if we have to make an attacking change today I hope it's Mumba who comes on instead of Dowell or Idah as he offers unpredictability and a direct running threat

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Are they worried he'll eventually fall between the gaps?

35 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I just hope if we need more attacking options that Rowe and Dickson-Peters are in front of Idah who never appears to make a difference.

I am glad to see these two on the bench (albeit concerned at the lack of midfield steel).  Rowe in particular strikes me from watching the U23's on YouTube as one for the future, if not now!  If they are good enough, they're old enough!