Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Lets get Onel Hernandez back

Not saying he's a world beater and probably been years since the chap managed 90 minutes for us, but surely just for pure pace and trickery has the ability to cause a bit of mischief now and again and he'd be a nice little option for Dean Smith off the bench for 10-15 minutes against tired legs?

His decision making can be a bit dodgy in the final third but he's never been shy to cut in and aim for the bottom corners, with the way Dean Smith has us playing at the minute he might pinch a goal or two? 

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So might Placheta. I thought he played well on Saturday.

Me too, still think Onel might be handy to have around, loads of room in the 25.

He did well last time in this league towards the end of the season, when the team as a whole was playing atrociously.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Me too, still think Onel might be handy to have around, loads of room in the 25.

He did well last time in this league towards the end of the season, when the team as a whole was playing atrociously.

Yes he did but it was probably a season long loan.

Placheta surprised me a bit. Wasn't expecting him on the right and he got into the game really quickly. Strong, pacey and moved the ball quickly. He could be like a new signing.

• Like 5

Seems unlikely to me, will he really offer more (quality or variety) than our other speed merchants Rashica, Tzolis, or Placheta.  I would imagine we will only occasionally have two speed merchants on the pitch at once, so the opportunities will be limited.

8 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Seems unlikely to me, will he really offer more (quality or variety) than our other speed merchants Rashica, Tzolis, or Placheta.  I would imagine we will only occasionally have two speed merchants on the pitch at once, so the opportunities will be limited.

I think if Pukki were to get  injured we'd find that, in the absence of a new arrival, Rashica would end up being our number 9.

He's played there a fair bit for Kosovo, including a few times in 2021 (scoring a brace in one of those games).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not saying he's a world beater and probably been years since the chap managed 90 minutes for us, but surely just for pure pace and trickery has the ability to cause a bit of mischief now and again and he'd be a nice little option for Dean Smith off the bench for 10-15 minutes against tired legs?

His decision making can be a bit dodgy in the final third but he's never been shy to cut in and aim for the bottom corners, with the way Dean Smith has us playing at the minute he might pinch a goal or two? 

You seemed to have presented a weak case for his defence TvB.

Let's not go there.

11 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

You seemed to have presented a weak case for his defence TvB.

Let's not go there.

Could you present a better case for Sargent though who is getting a lot of football, or Dowell who has featured on the right this season?

Granted Placheta deserves more opportunities after that showing against Man utd, hopefully we saw evidence that a boy had turned into a man.... a damascus moment... rather than a flash in the pan. 

Placheta looks to have already learned a lot being around the first team under Smith and also his experience with Poland. He's has far better technical ability required for the EPL.  Hugely encouraging performance against Man U and seems to have filled out a bit too.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Could you present a better case for Sargent though who is getting a lot of football, or Dowell who has featured on the right this season?

Granted Placheta deserves more opportunities after that showing against Man utd, hopefully we saw evidence that a boy had turned into a man.... a damascus moment... rather than a flash in the pan. 

This ;

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Placheta looks to have already learned a lot being around the first team under Smith and also his experience with Poland. He's has far better technical ability required for the EPL.  Hugely encouraging performance against Man U and seems to have filled out a bit too.

Not forgetting that Tzolis and Rashica are in front of  the pecking order as well. Thanks for the memories Onel

I'm not saying Sargent is the finished article yet, but offers more in effective pressing than Onel (plus there is 8 years between them, which shows development potential). Dowell has offered no less than what Onel could do (imo) in that position.

I’m not sure we can compare Onel to Dowell or Sargent, they just perform a different roles for the team.

I am not on Sargent’s case, I remember how ordinary Ewan Roberts looked when he arrived, and what an impact he made for us.  I hope he is more Ewan and less Dean Coney, and we can assess that in a year or so.  Both Farke and Smith obviously feel he offers enough to be in the team, so there must be is more to him than we are currently seeing.  It lazy to say he is playing because of the fee, Tzolis has not been given the same opportunities.

Not the best suggestion....another tricky player with no end product? The greatest challenge facing Smith is we have a squad full of non scoring players in all positions. 

I think Placheta and Hernandez are virtually the same player, lots of pace to burn and a lot of potential with very little end product. The difference is we can teach and develop Placheta as he's still young, whereas Hernandez has probably peaked 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure he can get Saturdays off, just  coming into a busy time in retail .

Negatory on that one Ralph. 

21 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not sure he can get Saturdays off, just  coming into a busy time in retail .

Negatory on that one Ralph. 

It was Placheta I said should be working in retail. 

2 minutes ago, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

The same Placheta that had been receiving the Sargent level of abuse for the past year. Not you personally, but honestly some Norwich 'fans' need to look at themselves.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves, it was probably the first alright game he's had for us... RVW scored a goal on his debut. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves, it was probably the first alright game he's had for us... RVW scored a goal on his debut. 

You're right, best keep sticking the boot into him until he hits Buendia levels or crumbles in an anxious wreck.

5 minutes ago, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

You're right, best keep sticking the boot into him until he hits Buendia levels or crumbles in an anxious wreck.

Think you are overestimating the importance or reach of this forum.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Think you are overestimating the importance or reach of this forum.

I think it's well documented that the players are aware of the forums. Also bear in mind whenever the club tags a player on instagram and the comments flood in, they receive a notification for each one. My point is that is these players had thrown the towel in, then by all means make the feelings known. When a player is clearly struggling with form and confidence I think this can be extremely damaging. I think you're underestimating the impact of the mental aspect of a player's life now.

Onel, Vrancic, Hugill and Drmic would all be backward steps.

None of these would be an improvement on what we already have.

We have a squad that is capable of avoiding relegation if we carry on with the form we have shown recently.

Bringing any of these "unwanted" players back would be a complete waste of time.

5 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

We have a squad that is capable of avoiding relegation if we carry on with the form we have shown recently.

Bringing any of these "unwanted" players back would be a complete waste of time.

The only one I can see any argument for is Drmic- he's gone away, got fit and hit some form. Yes it is at a much lower level but there is an argument that a fully fit and confident Drmic under Smith might be a different beast.

Onel and Hugill have barely made an impact in the Championship this season.

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Onel is a one trick pony and not PL quality, we have bettrr players in the squad alteady.

Can barely put a bench together today.

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

You do realise that Vrancic signed for Stoke permanently don't you? 

The others are out on loan, but there is no chance of asking for Vrancic back even if we wanted to.

I would say though that Sorenson and Placheta are two players who have benefited by being given a chance by Smith when they were barely getting a sniff under Farke, its not exactly left field or out there to suggest that the slate is wiped clean for a loan player or two is it?

Alex Neil brought Bassong back into the fold successfully, and Lambert gave Simon Lappin another chance,