Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

What is the Quadrant for?

Every time I see a corner taken nowadays the ball appears to be well outside the quadrant. Has the rule or instruction changed?

Why not put two dots instead. One for an outswinger and one for an inswinger.

4 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

The ball has to be on or inside the quadrant when viewed from above meaning it can rest on the turf outside the quadrant.

Yes but they are stretching that rule like knicker elastic.

It wouldn't be so bad but the crossing is terrible.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Curve of the all can overhang the line. Thus the ball can be touching the ground outside the quadrant as CC has said. 

• Like 2

You’ve got to wonder what placing that ball a couple of inches closer to the goal actually achieves. Most corner takers don’t seem to be able to take a good corner regardless 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

The ball has to be on or inside the quadrant when viewed from above meaning it can rest on the turf outside the quadrant.

Can somebody update the Snakepit!

• Like 2

As in yesterday at the end of the first half when man utd got a corner and the sandpit, sorry snake pit got the ref to check. 

As the corner was awarded the 4th offical signalled a minute of added on time. By the time the ref checked the ball they played about 30 seconds, so I assume it's all to do with that, plus a bit of gamesmanship from the fans too. 

Yep, the phrase that really needs bearing in mind is "the lines form part of which they are boundaries". At least that was how it was worded when I was a referee. 

Also remember that the whole of the ball has to be completely over the goal line to be a goal / out of play. Same principle applies here - as long as a sliver of ball is overhanging the quadrant, it's fine. Which brings us back to the first bit, if it is, then it's considered in that area.

1 hour ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Can somebody update the Snakepit!

Agree that the Snakepit get animated about it, that said the irony was the referee checked before a corner when the curve of the ball was just about over the quadrant, wears he did not check before the previous corner when the curve of the ball was outside the quadrant. I think what the Snakepit does is great because it could unsettle the corner taker........

I’m pretty sure everybody is aware of the rules, including the snake pit. Fans just love trying to unsettle things and so they should. Some of the corner takers play the game too, they love it. I remember Leighton baines deliberately moving the ball in and out several times just to antagonise the Barclay and snake pit before pausing and giving us a wry smile. It’s all part of the fun of the game. We know the rules but we love the banter.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

You’ve got to wonder what placing that ball a couple of inches closer to the goal actually achieves. Most corner takers don’t seem to be able to take a good corner regardless 

This x 100, maybe concentrate on delivering a decent corner rather than gaining a tiny fraction of the overall distance. 

23 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+CORNER+BRAWL%3B+Norwich+1+West+Ham+1%3A+Pardew+goes+potty+after...-a0113511831

I always remember this, I was in the Jarrold for the first game after it opened. The snakepit got Etherington sent off for not having the ball in the quadrant, then Hucks scored a late equaliser. That was a great season.

OTBC

Doesn't show much of the sending off. 

• Thanks 1

They know exactly what they are doing when they protest to the ref and I love it. It's gamesmanship, it upsets their player, keeps the ref on his toes and we need every advantage we can get.

In truth, I (from my loft position in the River end) find it quite funny and when the refs do eventually fall for it, it makes me titter

10 minutes ago, East Rider said:

They know exactly what they are doing when they protest to the ref and I love it. It's gamesmanship, it upsets their player, keeps the ref on his toes and we need every advantage we can get.

In truth, I (from my loft position in the River end) find it quite funny and when the refs do eventually fall for it, it makes me titter

It's an entertainment business, so all for it...... 

4 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Massages the ego by demonstrating they have some small victory which they dont

20 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Every time I see a corner taken nowadays the ball appears to be well outside the quadrant. Has the rule or instruction changed?

Why not put two dots instead. One for an outswinger and one for an inswinger.

Nope but neither inept knowledge of the laws from certain quarters of our fan base 

I think there should be a test for all season ticket holders on the laws of the game and if you fail you immediate have your season ticket revoked until you pass 

best one yesterday was McLean being called off side from a THROW IN by a fan behind me 

Rubbish 

21 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

As stated before the ball simply has to over hang an area of the quadrant to be sufficient. I would of thought a majority of people who played or watched football now would have been aware of this. 

So why was it placed fully in or on the line years ago? And the lino used to inspect it.

I forget what game it was, it may have been ours and you could have put another ball down between it and the line it was so far over.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

So why was it placed fully in or on the line years ago? And the lino used to inspect it.

I forget what game it was, it may have been ours and you could have put another ball down between it and the line it was so far over.

'On the line' means intersecting the vertical plane of the line, just like any other line on the pitch. It's not rocket science.

Was so funny when the ref came over, talking of crowd banter - loved this from Ramsdale at Leicester fans. 🙂

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

'On the line' means intersecting the vertical plane of the line, just like any other line on the pitch. It's not rocket science.

Apparently the rule was changed in 1997. Until then the ball had to be placed WITHIN the quadrant. It was then changed with an addition that the ball breaking the white line would be considered within.

Which is why I brought it up. Even some amateur referees were unaware of the rule change and have been insisting on retakes.

The rules on this were drawn up when there were not stands around the pitch. Therefore, a player had plenty of run up. It is not about being a couple of inches closer to the goal - it is about that run up distance. No other dead ball has such a short distance. It is time for the distance to be doubled.

17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Apparently the rule was changed in 1997. Until then the ball had to be placed WITHIN the quadrant. It was then changed with an addition that the ball breaking the white line would be considered within.

Which is why I brought it up. Even some amateur referees were unaware of the rule change and have been insisting on retakes.

'Within' has always included the whole of the line. It may have been clarified, but it wasn't changed in 1997. The ball still has to be placed within the quadrant.

The ball still has to be placed within the quadrant, but it can be partially outside. It's like the whole 'whole ball needs to cross the line for it to be a goal' scenario. 

I can't see what you gain by having the ball a few mm's outside the quadrant personally but hey ho

I used to move the ball as far as I could to have plenty of clearance from the flag which is the most irritatingly placed bit of kit. I'd guess that's more the reason.

5 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

I used to move the ball as far as I could to have plenty of clearance from the flag which is the most irritatingly placed bit of kit. I'd guess that's more the reason.

I always used to get amused back in the day by watching youth players clearly not used to playing with actual corner flags trying to take corners and not realising you can simply just place the ball the other side of the flag to avoid having to run into it 😅