Sign in to follow this  
Mark .Y.

So who could do the job for us ?

Extremely proud of the performance yesterday. I don't want to sound as though I am whinging but I said to my missus at half-time "I will say this whilst we are still level, but that ref is looking for a way to get a Man United win". I felt there were two clear yellow cards for Man U players in the first half as they stopped us breaking - but neither were given.

Anyway - to my main point. We desperately need something slightly different upfront, somebody who can gel with Pukki and score a few goals. Anybody got any idea of who might be a reasonable target for us in January ??  

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We don't have any money for incoming transfers accoridng to Webber.

That's not really what he said is it?

He said we don't have a lot of money unless we sold one of our existing players to generate funds. There is some money. 

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd send Gilmour back and see if we can nobble someone like Nketiah on loan

Won't get Nketiah on loan, he's only got 6 months left and has already said he wants out. Reckon he will sign a pre-contract with a mid-table PL side. I have read that Smith wants Davis from Villa

I wouldn't be looking at a striker, we need more athleticism and steel in the middle and another ball carrying winger so we can break on teams quicker. Another Rashica type right winger and a Tettey-like defensive midfielder would be top of my list.  Pukki scores about 1 in 3 at this level which is more than good enough, we need the team to pitch in more it's a bit simplistic to me to think we can't score right now so we must need a striker. I get the thought process, but I think the problem is there's too much pressure on Pukki which is why he's not looked quite as lethal as he usually is, lessen the burden on him and create more chances and the problem will fix itself. 

• Like 1

I don’t see anyone in the Championship who we would be able to prize away who would definitely make a difference. Anyone we could get from those not pushing promotion would be a massive gamble as to whether they could step up.

Godden maybe? He’s looked good to me in the little I’ve seen of Coventry, bit of Holt about him. Though asking him to step up to the PL at 30 after years in the lower leagues is a massive gamble. Adebayo would be the other, he looks big and powerful and has done well this year. We could soften the blow with an Idah loan as well maybe?

Hope they’ve got some gem from abroad in mind but strikers are tough buys, January makes it even harder and expensive. I’d rather have a gamble on a confident Championship scorer who knows the country making the step up personally, just don’t see anyone that’s obviously going to improve us.

I can’t think of anyone we could loan and it would mean losing one of the four we have anyway which I don’t think we can afford to.

Webber needs to work hard this January if he’s serious about us staying up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We don't have any money for incoming transfers accoridng to Webber.

You keep saying this over and over, but where are you actually getting this from? Because it's literally the only thing you ever say when someone mentions the word 'transfers'.

Someone said it's possibly the AGM, but he simply did not say this at the AGM.

You say it as if it's a direct quote, so can you point us in the right direction please?

I'm not saying it's wrong, it's a genuine question as I have clearly missed something. 

A bit of an out there suggestion and very much would depend upon fitness - Sturridge. There is a lot of questions around him these days sadly, and at 32, he's not played a lot of football in recent years. So would represent a massive gamble. Very doubtful but he has the experience and pedigree that everyone wants to demand.

If we had any serious money there are a couple of players in the lower leagues worth a look at I feel. I think last season I mentioned a young chap at Plymouth Argyle, 21 and has a decent record for a youngster, 5'10". Would be a gamble again though. If you are looking at proven... then that's much harder.

When we signed Ashton it wasn't proven that he could make the step up. Of course he did. We need someone in form and with a bit of arrogance about them I would say. image.thumb.png.635e0137a58fc11d23e97a213067b3b5.png

That's the top scoring list from the beeb for the Championship. Adebayo would be my shout, 23 and 6'4". Would offer something different to what we have already. He also plays for a team we are more likely to be able to sign from at a reasonable rate. Blackburn, Fulham, Bournemouth and Swansea are all in the hunt for promotion and are unlikely to let a player go mid season at all, let alone when they could be key to promotion for them.

1 in 2 for a mid table side not flush with quality throughout their side would suggest he's got more yet to come. At 23, he's still young and has potential yet to be realised.

League One doesn't seem to have anyone prolific so to speak.image.thumb.png.c223591a9c08789e2801f399fba91c6f.png

The step up is massive these days. I don't think anyone from the leagues below us has a hope of making it mid-season and overseas players often take too long to settle.

Now that we have a manager who knows how to set up a team in the PL, we have the opportunity to give Idah and Sargent chances. Both reduce the pressure on Pukki and create space for him. Both are marginally off where they need to be and it still might happen. I don't see us being able to bring in anyone better in January. I'd rather give one of the under 23s a game or two.

• Like 1

Can see Cantwell to Villa for cash plus players - Davis and potentially Hourihane if Smith sees him as an upgrade to Lees Melou/MCLean 

13 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Can see Cantwell to Villa for cash plus players - Davis and potentially Hourihane if Smith sees him as an upgrade to Lees Melou/MCLean 

Hourihane would be good for us. He's 30 and will be 31 in Feb. It's not about being an upgrade as such, but a player that can do the things we want now.

He's an AM too, so arguably he is more competition for Dowell or whoever we play as the more AM of the midfield three. 

15 minutes ago, chicken said:

Hourihane would be good for us. He's 30 and will be 31 in Feb. It's not about being an upgrade as such, but a player that can do the things we want now.

He's an AM too, so arguably he is more competition for Dowell or whoever we play as the more AM of the midfield three. 

Smith loaned him out at Villa two seasons in a row, not sure either party necessarily wants the other personally.

He doesn’t seem to be tearing it up at Sheffield Utd either but can’t say I’ve seen anything of him this year.

34 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Davis has scored 1 goal in 34 games, not sure that’s money worth spending especially considering he has PL experience and is relatively young so won’t be cheap. No better than Idah or Sargent on paper.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

A bit of an out there suggestion and very much would depend upon fitness - Sturridge. There is a lot of questions around him these days sadly, and at 32, he's not played a lot of football in recent years. So would represent a massive gamble. Very doubtful but he has the experience and pedigree that everyone wants to demand.

If we had any serious money there are a couple of players in the lower leagues worth a look at I feel. I think last season I mentioned a young chap at Plymouth Argyle, 21 and has a decent record for a youngster, 5'10". Would be a gamble again though. If you are looking at proven... then that's much harder.

When we signed Ashton it wasn't proven that he could make the step up. Of course he did. We need someone in form and with a bit of arrogance about them I would say. image.thumb.png.635e0137a58fc11d23e97a213067b3b5.png

That's the top scoring list from the beeb for the Championship. Adebayo would be my shout, 23 and 6'4". Would offer something different to what we have already. He also plays for a team we are more likely to be able to sign from at a reasonable rate. Blackburn, Fulham, Bournemouth and Swansea are all in the hunt for promotion and are unlikely to let a player go mid season at all, let alone when they could be key to promotion for them.

1 in 2 for a mid table side not flush with quality throughout their side would suggest he's got more yet to come. At 23, he's still young and has potential yet to be realised.

League One doesn't seem to have anyone prolific so to speak.image.thumb.png.c223591a9c08789e2801f399fba91c6f.png

More I think about it I agree, Adebayo looks the best option in the lower leagues if we wanted to spend the money.

A lot might depend on the prognosis of Normann's injury. We have a solid midfield without him but lack that cutting edge creativity, as we have done all season without Emi and Cantwell's demise. An AM  would be the priority for me too.

Possibly another winger too as Tzolis isn't there yet and Todd looks a shadow of his former self.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

More I think about it I agree, Adebayo looks the best option in the lower leagues if we wanted to spend the money.

There is another player who may be work a look if we are looking for a cheap attacking player - Luke Jephcott who plays for Plymouth Argyle. Seems to be a similar type of player to Dowell and Cantwell, is 21 and has 7 goals and 4 assists to his name this season so far in 24 appearances.

Caught my eye last season after scoring 18 goals in League one aged 20-21. He'll be 22 by the time the season is out and can play wide of up front. Another gamble.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd send Gilmour back and see if we can nobble someone like Nketiah on loan

🙃🤣

Can't see the point of signing anyone who is simialr vein to Pukki.

Personally i reckon Kieffer Moore or Lyndon Dykes. Both have international experience and both have the potential and size to ruffle a few PL defenders to give Teemu a bit more space. I appreciate both would be a short term fix but that is exactly what we need right now.

Maybe we havent got £10m-ish, but we may have if we sell Todd. If so could Alfredo Morelos at Rangers be worthy? I know he can be a tad wild at times but so was Suarez and much like him, he certainly knows where the net is. He's 25 too so the right age.

Could be worth trying to cash in on Aarons, rely on Mumba/Byram/Williams, and spend the proceeds on a forward.

As good as Max is, and he really is very good, a right back simply isn't going to keep us in this (or any) league. 

Edited by kirku

5 hours ago, Tommo said:

If that were the case I think we’d be preparing for a reacquaintance with our very old foes down the road rather than a stay in this league! 

For me Idah needs a chance, a couple of goals and some confidence, he may well be a completely different player!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

7 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Won't get Nketiah on loan, he's only got 6 months left and has already said he wants out. Reckon he will sign a pre-contract with a mid-table PL side. I have read that Smith wants Davis from Villa

You can't sign a pre-contract with an English side if you are contracted to an English side, he can sign a pre contract with Celtic, or Anderlecht, but nobody in England.

7 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I wouldn't be looking at a striker, we need more athleticism and steel in the middle and another ball carrying winger so we can break on teams quicker. Another Rashica type right winger and a Tettey-like defensive midfielder would be top of my list.  Pukki scores about 1 in 3 at this level which is more than good enough, we need the team to pitch in more it's a bit simplistic to me to think we can't score right now so we must need a striker. I get the thought process, but I think the problem is there's too much pressure on Pukki which is why he's not looked quite as lethal as he usually is, lessen the burden on him and create more chances and the problem will fix itself. 

And if pukki gets injured?

57 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If that were the case I think we’d be preparing for a reacquaintance with our very old foes down the road rather than a stay in this league! 

For me Idah needs a chance, a couple of goals and some confidence, he may well be a completely different player!   

That’s a good point 1p5wich apparently have the most expensive squad in League 1, they must have someone decent?

No?

🤨

Edited by Nuff Said

7 hours ago, chicken said:

A bit of an out there suggestion and very much would depend upon fitness - Sturridge. 

Hmmm... well he just moved to Australia and signed for Perth Glory.

Only, he refused to play in his second game for the club because it was a four hour flight to the fixture.

He's signed for a Western Australian team, and all the away games are in Eastern Australia..... so not sure if he expected to get a coach through the outback, but I think its safe to say that the bloke is a complete nutjob. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/29/daniel-sturridge-should-consult-a-map-because-perth-glory-are-on-a-wild-ride