Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Team for Villa

Tomkinson at the back is not going to happen and why pick Gilmore ahead of McClean and Rupp when he was the worst of the three on Saturday?

• Like 2

I think from Smith's comments, Gibson's omission was more precautionary given the busy Xmas period coming, so expect Gibson will be back (for Tomkinson).   Otherwise, although I personally would go with that line up, I think Smith will play Sargent instead of Cantwell and Mclean instead of Sorenson (unfortunately in both cases).

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

Doubt Normann will be back.

I can see Willams coming back in for Giannoulis, harsh on him but Williams has also been excellent.

If Gibson is fit he’ll replace Sorensen I’d imagine, orherwise same lineup I imagine unless someone else becomes available who wasn’t yesterday. They were all excellent so bar injury why change.

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I can see Willams coming back in for Giannoulis, harsh on him but Williams has also been excellent.

If Gibson is fit he’ll replace Sorensen I’d imagine, orherwise same lineup I imagine unless someone else becomes available who wasn’t yesterday. They were all excellent so bar injury why change.

Why would Gibson come back in? On the basis of yesterday's performance I thought Sorensen was outstanding

19 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Why would Gibson come back in? On the basis of yesterday's performance I thought Sorensen was outstanding

Because he’s a CB and has also been playing well? If he’s available and fit I’d be really surprised if we left a CM in his place.

Sorensen was great as an emergency cover, can’t fault him, but this is the PL. There’s no time for sentiment for me, round peg goes in round hole if available. 

• Like 1

Cantwell was really anonymous when he came in, and seemed to me having negative effect on our midfield control. I'd say he is non-starter and needs to build up match fitness and confidence as a sub first.

• Like 1

Someone has to do a man marking job on Buendia, assuming he starts. I doubt that Normann will be risked yet. Rupp was excellent yesterday, as was Maclean. If we have another fit centre back, Sorensen will drop out again. Sargent also played well, despite a couple of his usual moments. Kabak too after a nervy opening.

Krul

Aarons, Kabak, Gibson/Omobamidele, Williams

Rupp, Gilmour Maclean

Placheta, Pukki, Sargent

If Normann does return I can’t see him starting, as it was only a possibility and he wasn’t even fit for the bench yesterday. If you think Tomkinson will replace Hanley in the starting XI you must be crazy, as I believe Smith wants experience after what he said about playing Hanley recently and I’m not even certain Tomkinson has even made a first team appearance yet. Cantwell didn’t do much after coming on so I think it will be Sargent starting again

Krul

Aarons     Sorensen     Kabak     Williams

Gilmour     Rupp     McLean

Sargent              Pukki              Placheta

Assumption that all of Hanley, Gibson, Omobamidele, Normann, Tzolis & Rashica are all unavailable.

Dimi, Idah & one of Cantwell/Dowell/PLM off the bench to finish the job for a reasonably comfortable & much-needed 2-1 win.

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Because he’s a CB and has also been playing well? If he’s available and fit I’d be really surprised if we left a CM in his place.

Sorensen was great as an emergency cover, can’t fault him, but this is the PL. There’s no time for sentiment for me, round peg goes in round hole if available. 

It's not sentiment Monty, I think Sorensen looked completely assured at all times and his partnership with Kabak was excellent

Rupp doesn't manage two good performances in a row, rest him for this.  In fact rest him for the future.  Lees-Melou looked his normal useless self again sideline him.  What about the midfield? hope a CB available Jacob to fit one berth.  Gilmour allowed further forward.  And Normann but I don't see him as a regular any time soon, the latest sicknote.  Another defeat coming up, two solid performances an unlikely proposition. 

If you dont allow sentiment, then you go on performance and Sorensen should keep his place, either next to Kabak, or as the cdm in midfield to free up Gilmour

35 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

If you dont allow sentiment, then you go on performance and Sorensen should keep his place, either next to Kabak, or as the cdm in midfield to free up Gilmour

Agree with this 100%.

Surely Sorensen has to start , he so deserves game time hugely underused by the club , he only seems to play if there's an injury crisis.😙

10 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Surely Sorensen has to start , he so deserves game time hugely underused by the club , he only seems to play if there's an injury crisis.😙

And when he does, he plays better than those hes replacing, even in positions hes not used to playing in

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

And when he does, he plays better than those hes replacing, even in positions hes not used to playing in

Exactly personally I like to see him have a run in his preferred position.😁

5 hours ago, Monty13 said:

On the showing of Saturday Normann can sit out for longer as Rupp and Kenny did well. Wouldn't mind having Sorensen in midfield. he has always looked a class act and DF did him a disservice not playing him. For me Dimitri was really good and he is our player, not a loanee, so he should start. As for Pepe and Josh, I think they both deserve another start.

Sorensons calm well executed distribution was a vast improvement on the lofted passes Gibson and Hanley make. So much easier to control and turn into an attack rather than a backward pass. 

5 hours ago, pete said:

Rupp doesn't manage two good performances in a row, rest him for this.  In fact rest him for the future.  Lees-Melou looked his normal useless self again sideline him.  What about the midfield? hope a CB available Jacob to fit one berth.  Gilmour allowed further forward.  And Normann but I don't see him as a regular any time soon, the latest sicknote.  Another defeat coming up, two solid performances an unlikely proposition. 

The difference between Uncle Fred's and your posts Pete is his dry humor, you just come across as a bore. Your's welcome.

Krul 

Williams Gibson Kabak Giannoulis

Sørensen Rupp

Sargent Gilmour Placheta 

Pukki

Solid lineup, with all fit I would only change Rashica for Sargent and Normann for Rupp.

On 12/12/2021 at 16:08, pete said:

Come on Pete mate, it's nearly christmas.

• Haha 1

I would love to see Williams and Giannoulis play together down that left hand side. Think they would be a real handful.

Push Placheta over to the right hand side and we then have some real pace and attacking strength on both wings.

I wouldn't drop Dimi either. He gives us an attacking threat down that side which we need with the attacking players we have missing.

I would vaguely consider playing him left wing with Williams behind if he wants to bring Williams back but to be honest i'd start the same side that played after Hanley went off at the weekend. 

54 minutes ago, TESCO said:

Krul 

Williams Gibson Kabak Giannoulis

Sørensen Rupp

Sargent Gilmour Placheta 

Pukki

Solid lineup, with all fit I would only change Rashica for Sargent and Normann for Rupp.

Williams at RB ahead of Aarons?!

Nah mate.

4 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Williams at RB ahead of Aarons?!

Nah mate.

I think we might see Williams move across if Aarons leaves in Jan and that could be quite useful unless Byram actually becomes an option again.

Don't see how Smith could drop Dimi after his excellent display v Man U (my man of the match). Interesting idea playing him in front of Williams but dont like the idea of playing a defender in a forward position when scoring goals is already one of our main issues... but then again he might be more clinical than Sargent or Placheta!!

Edited by rock bus