Sign in to follow this  
Creedence Clearwater Couto

We're toast, aren't we?

On 11/12/2021 at 23:25, alex_ncfc said:

We played well today but we still got beat.

Every time we are in the Prem it is hard-luck stories:

"We didn't deserve to lose the game"

"If we play like that every week we'll win more than we lose" - but we never do.

We are always floundering at the bottom where other teams who get promoted seem more than at home and pick up decent results - Watford put 4 past Man Utd at home a few weeks ago. Is scoring 0 against a poor Man Utd team a "good performance"? We desperately need to bite the bullet and sign some proven quality to try and stay in this league, not unproven unknowns. RVW, Sargent, the list goes on.

In conclusion yes we are toast, because as much as we are harder to beat under DS, we are still getting beat and still not able to score anywhere near enough goals to compete at this level. This is a recruitment issue.

This...

It was a positive performance against Man Utd - but we still left empty handed. We should be sat here with a minimum of 3 more points (2pts Wolves, 1 pt Man Utd). It happens so many times.... it's endemic. Different season, different side, same outcome .  

If we could have just got a point on Saturday, it would've kept a nice little unbeaten home run going. 

The answer? We need more Grant Holt, Johny Howson, and BJ type players. Players mentally strong and not willing to comply or be in awe. Our transfer business has been questionable, but there is some quality there. We just lack players with steel and belief. 

• Like 1

Pukki, Idah and Sargent are not a line up to keep you in this league. Webbers failure to find adequate striking options will ultimately lead us to relegation again...

• Like 3

What is keeping me a touch more hopeful than some is that there seems to be quite a few poor teams this year.

After 16 games last Premier League season we were 4 points off safety and the bottom team were a full 6 points off. Last season Sheffield United were 11 points from safety and even the team in 19th was 5 points off 17th. This season the gap is only three, although our terrible goal difference counts against us.

The season was over before it begun with the horrendous window we had over the summer 

now it’s all about paying for the sins of the present 

I know it's been said before but 8 goals in 16 games is all we need to know. Games where we play well, we lose because we don't have strikers who can turn good performances into goals and then points. How many games could we have drawn or won if we had taken even a few of our chances. Pukki aside we are blunt and I don't see us being able to do enough in January to change this. I live in hope but to get a premiership quality striker in the January window within our budget would be unbelievably difficult. 

It's looking ominous but it's not over yet. What we need is to just go on one really good run of form, similar to that run in Autumn/Winter during Hughton's first season, we were pretty rank either side of that but that 10 game unbeaten run saved us. My hope is that we keep playing well and eventually our luck will turn we'll go on a run where we pick up 15 ish points over 7 or 8 games or something and then we can just grind out 1ppg either side of it. 

I could maybe see it coming after the Man City/Liverpool double header if our confidence isn't too badly battered

Southampton Away

Brentford Home

Leeds Away

Chelsea Home

Brighton Away

Burnley Home

Man Utd Away

Newcastle Home

By this league's standards that's not a horrible run. Chelsea home will be hard but the rest look like there could be points there.

One things is obvious from Saturday, we need Kabak in the team. He is a real scoring threat. 

On 11/12/2021 at 23:03, shefcanary said:

To the OP; no we are ****ing not! **** off you ****!

The post may have been on the profane side, but the negativity of the OP really stuck in my craw, hence the spluttering outburst above.  I'm a passionate fan although generally measured and realistic, but CCC and his ilk do not deserve to be fans.  The OP was trolling at its worst and there has been no amelioration from him in his later responses. 

We are not toast, get behind the team.  I am, it will be tough, but it can be done.  We're still only one win off "safety".

I stand by my original post and am not worried that CCC took offence.  They should show some reasonableness and I may change my opinion of them.

OTBC

9 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I know it's been said before but 8 goals in 16 games is all we need to know. Games where we play well, we lose because we don't have strikers who can turn good performances into goals and then points. How many games could we have drawn or won if we had taken even a few of our chances. Pukki aside we are blunt and I don't see us being able to do enough in January to change this. I live in hope but to get a premiership quality striker in the January window within our budget would be unbelievably difficult. 

This.

We're very poor at scoring goals. Unless we can find a solution to that problem we're down.

12 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

This.

We're very poor at scoring goals. Unless we can find a solution to that problem we're down.

I reckon you're on to something Smiffy. If we don't score goals we will be relegated.

But remember that Dean Smith said his first job was to make us hard to beat. He seems to have achieved that. Man Utd will testify to that.

Way too soon to be toast.

27 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I reckon you're on to something Smiffy. If we don't score goals we will be relegated.

But remember that Dean Smith said his first job was to make us hard to beat. He seems to have achieved that. Man Utd will testify to that.

I agree with a lot of what you have said and here comes the but. We are looking a lot better at the back but we are also creating chances. The chances are not being put away. Coaching or a January purchase could help but as said who can we get in the January window for our budget and in a relegation battle. Also I don't think 5 years of coaching will turn Sargent into a natural goal scorer. 

10 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I agree with a lot of what you have said and here comes the but. We are looking a lot better at the back but we are also creating chances. The chances are not being put away. Coaching or a January purchase could help but as said who can we get in the January window for our budget and in a relegation battle. Also I don't think 5 years of coaching will turn Sargent into a natural goal scorer. 

Well, your work here is done. We are toast no more to be said.

59 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Just call me Sherlock Nutty 🙂

DS has certainly galvanised the squad and we are now a lot harder to beat but we're so powder-puff up front. Maybe Stuart Webber will find more than a few extra shillings down the back of the sofa ? Otherwise I can't see us improving enough to save ourselves.

We're certainly not toast quite yet but another 22 nil-nil draws probably won't be enough.

17 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Just call me Sherlock Nutty 🙂

DS has certainly galvanised the squad and we are now a lot harder to beat but we're so powder-puff up front. Maybe Stuart Webber will find more than a few extra shillings down the back of the sofa ? Otherwise I can't see us improving enough to save ourselves.

We're certainly not toast quite yet but another 22 nil-nil draws probably won't be enough.

Don't forget those 10 defeats from 2 years ago still have to be added in....

🙃

• Haha 1

The margins are fine, but like others I don't see us suddenly discovering how to score goals in this league. Almost every team has a top keeper (except Southampton - their keeper gave us the 3 points) and their own matchwinners and playmakers.

We have Krul and Pukki. Apart from those two I don't see another of our players who gets near a starting place in any other PL side.

Mr Webber may think otherwise, but the overall quality of our players hasn't improved enough. Smith has them well organised now, and we are harder to beat but we are still losing. 

So in answer to the OP - yes, we are toast.

But at least it's a better watch than it was last time.

• Like 1

Not forgetting there's a transfer window opening in a couple of weeks.

I know Webber's transfer history with us so far has been poor, with a couple of exceptions, but buying a striker in January could define the final few months of our season.

They don't have to be a proven goalscorer or cost millions, but if we can strike gold again, a la Holt, Pukki etc, then we'll have given ourselves a chance.

18 hours ago, Surfer said:

One things is obvious from Saturday, we need Kabak in the team. He is a real scoring threat. 

One thing that struck me in the Man U match was that not so long ago there was general consensus that we were neither good at defending corners or being a goal threat from our own corners.  I thought we were much better than Man U at both.

I was looking at the table the other day. We've actually conceded fewer goals than Newcastle and similar to Watford and Everton. 

In 16 games however we have only scored 8 goals. Bar Southampton and Burnley who fall just short with 14 from 16, every other team averages a goal a game.

Until that changes we are most certainly toast.

A decent striker should be top of Smiths January transfer shopping list - presuming he's allowed one.

Sargent can be helpful on the right wing, though I actually think Placheta had a promising game there against Utd. Sargent certainly isnt a Premier League striker and neither is Idah.

I would recall Hugill as 3rd choice, loan out Idah and purchase a new striker.

Id also love to see Hernandez back. He's much better than Placheta, and that's what we're resorting to at present

37 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The margins are fine, but like others I don't see us suddenly discovering how to score goals in this league. Almost every team has a top keeper (except Southampton - their keeper gave us the 3 points) and their own matchwinners and playmakers.

We have Krul and Pukki. Apart from those two I don't see another of our players who gets near a starting place in any other PL side.

Mr Webber may think otherwise, but the overall quality of our players hasn't improved enough. Smith has them well organised now, and we are harder to beat but we are still losing. 

So in answer to the OP - yes, we are toast.

But at least it's a better watch than it was last time.

Id argue that a number of teams would be interested in Normann (if he could shake his injury problems) and of course there's Aarons. But your point is on the money - this is a squad of championship players

16 hours ago, Canaries north said:

What we really need is a good playmaker. The kind of player who can pick the ball up deep and play a defence-splitting pass. Someone who could develop a good understanding with a player like Pukki and create the chances for him. Someone who not only has that but could chip in with some goals himself and who could also contribute with his work-rate and tackling.

A player like that could be the difference between survival and relegation, and would be priceless. (Well, at least £38m...)

On 13/12/2021 at 20:12, nutty nigel said:

Well, your work here is done. We are toast no more to be said.

Not toast but need to pull a real 💎 out of the bag in January. How likely is it to happen, not very. Is there still a chance it might, yes. 

8 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

What we really need is a good playmaker. The kind of player who can pick the ball up deep and play a defence-splitting pass. Someone who could develop a good understanding with a player like Pukki and create the chances for him. Someone who not only has that but could chip in with some goals himself and who could also contribute with his work-rate and tackling.

A player like that could be the difference between survival and relegation, and would be priceless. (Well, at least £38m...)

Cheeky 🤣 I do agree but I do think in the last few games we have had chances but our converting of chances has been terrible.