12 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The absences due to Covid in the GW Stand at the moment demonstrates that temporarily closing it should not be quite the red line as previously thought which (aside from the money) was deemed to be a big hurdle to replacing that stand.  If the rebuild is properly planned and funded, the example of Anfield's recent and current rebuild shows what can be done with minimal impact on current season ticket  holders.

This season also demonstrates that no matter what amount of money we have for a transfer budget we will not necessarily spend it well.  We have to find a better way to being self funding and to create a step change it will require investment, but we have tried one route and come up very short. 

If the capital investment is structured well, it can be pursued whilst still not impinging on the transfer budget, in the medium to long term adding to it.  A mixture of supporter funded bonds, long term bank borrowing and some form of share issue will provide a "relatively" cheap and stable borrowing commitment. 

The increased use of the Stadium in the future as the biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia will provide a strong business planning imperative.  

Without showing continued ambition a la Colney at the Carra, the club will wither on the vine.  We have quite simply failed to prove the case even short term that the status quo can make us a permanent member of the EPĹ.  Something else has to be tried.  Stadium expansion via ring fenced mini financial/ business plan is that, separate to a self-funding approach to on-field activity.

Sure short term pain, but if we truly want to be part of the EPL "club" as a top 17 member I would argue we now have only two choices.  The above or allow the club to become a rich man's play thing.  The former remains my choice.

Both would be my choice, subject to the existence of the proverbial rich man.

Edited by Naturalcynic

8 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

So you propose spending £50,000,000 on extending the capacity and you think we should also be cutting ticket income by at least 30%?

£10 for away fans. The home fans will be priced nearer to normal. With discounts for kids and OAP’s.  All we need to do is make enough money to afford the loan over the next 25 years.  I’m sure the Council might be interested with the extra tourism in the area and might put their hand in their pocket to help subsidise. 

11 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

No point in increasing capacity, many season ticket holders are staying away because they fear getting sick. We haven't been sold out for any home game this season.

Not sure how relevant that is to a stand that will last 50+ years.

If anything makes it the perfect time.

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The absences due to Covid in the GW Stand at the moment demonstrates that temporarily closing it should not be quite the red line as previously thought which (aside from the money) was deemed to be a big hurdle to replacing that stand.  If the rebuild is properly planned and funded, the example of Anfield's recent and current rebuild shows what can be done with minimal impact on current season ticket  holders.

This season also demonstrates that no matter what amount of money we have for a transfer budget we will not necessarily spend it well.  We have to find a better way to being self funding and to create a step change it will require investment, but we have tried one route and come up very short. 

If the capital investment is structured well, it can be pursued whilst still not impinging on the transfer budget, in the medium to long term adding to it.  A mixture of supporter funded bonds, long term bank borrowing and some form of share issue will provide a "relatively" cheap and stable borrowing commitment. 

The increased use of the Stadium in the future as the biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia will provide a strong business planning imperative.  

Without showing continued ambition a la Colney at the Carra, the club will wither on the vine.  We have quite simply failed to prove the case even short term that the status quo can make us a permanent member of the EPĹ.  Something else has to be tried.  Stadium expansion via ring fenced mini financial/ business plan is that, separate to a self-funding approach to on-field activity.

Sure short term pain, but if we truly want to be part of the EPL "club" as a top 17 member I would argue we now have only two choices.  The above or allow the club to become a rich man's play thing.  The former remains my choice.

I think you will find from the research i did yesterday into the longer term plans of the new owners at Portman Road that ......'the biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia' will almost certainly be there and not 40 miles up the A140. Although nothing definitive is in the pipeline yet from what I've read, both the Cobbold and 'Magnus Group West Stand' are the first for re-development and even potential for a complete realignment of the stadium. Meanwhile we hear nothing but deafening silence from our geriatric owners on stadium expansion.    

43 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’m sure the Council might be interested with the extra tourism in the area and might put their hand in their pocket to help subsidise. 

The council are far too busy wasting money on other things 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

I think you will find from the research i did yesterday into the longer term plans of the new owners at Portman Road that ......'the biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia' will almost certainly be there and not 40 miles up the A140. Although nothing definitive is in the pipeline yet from what I've read, both the Cobbold and 'Magnus Group West Stand' are the first for re-development and even potential for a complete realignment of the stadium. Meanwhile we hear nothing but deafening silence from our geriatric owners on stadium expansion.    

When the CR development occurs it will be on the back of investment around the Venue concept and not just as a football ground . There will have been lots of consultations on the subject already. A city based venue in an accessible area will murder anything that can be built / used in Ipswich. 

The venue aspect is the bit that has been missed by many , both in terms of the pension investment for the Binners and the raising of the cash for Carrow Road . I keep reading about the club raising x million to pay for  y number of seats . That isn’t how it will work . 

Don’t forget too that you have a Finance guy now at NCFC who was at MK Dons - who’s ground is venue first , football ground second . He may be crucial . 

That all said , you can’t rely on a council that insisted on a bus Lane by the shop (thus stopping cars using that entrance) that doesn’t now have any buses going through it !! 

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

See my post including bus lanes. 

Sorry, you'll have to "blame" the present govt for this one - it came from a central govt fund for "Transforming Cities." I don't know whether this fits with your political prejudices (or indeed if you have any) but most of the wasteful schemes come from ring-fenced funding from central govt.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/local-council/bid-for-government-cash-to-transform-transport-in-greater-norwich-1459928

Edited by Badger
Added link

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sorry, you'll have to "blame" the present govt for this one - it came from a central govt fund for "Transforming Cities." I don't know whether this fits with your political prejudices (or indeed if you have any) but most of the wasteful schemes come from ring-fenced funding from central govt.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/local-council/bid-for-government-cash-to-transform-transport-in-greater-norwich-1459928

That’s very helpful Badger . 
So replace Council with Central Government . 
That will completely change my point about a venue funded stadium expansion. 

As for Political Prejudices, I’m not sure I have any , nor what the relevance is. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

41 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

That’s very helpful Badger . 
So replace Council with Central Government . 
That will completely change my point about a venue funded stadium expansion. 

As for Political Prejudices, I’m not sure I have any , nor what the relevance is. 

Just pointing out that you blame the council for wasting money on bus lanes when it was the central govt's scheme.

As for the relevance to stadium expansion, you were the one raising the issue of council waste - I don't see what football stadium expansion has got to do with the council either, hence my surprise that you mentioned it.

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

You are falling for the ramblings of the latest owners of a mediocre third division club. It’s exactly what yesterday was about. The cancellation of premier league games even meant they got talkballs to cover it live. Along with the talk of massive club , I was waiting for them to mention 6500 for Barrow in the cup  followed by defeat in the replay. If that seriously is the model you want to follow then feel free. I’ll stick with the stability and standard here thanks.

Just now, Badger said:

Just pointing out that you blame the council for wasting money on bus lanes when it was the central govt's scheme.

As for the relevance to stadium expansion, you were the one raising the issue of council waste - I don't see what football stadium expansion has got to do with the council either, hence my surprise that you mentioned it.

Ok . Let’s not bore the other posters to death on such a pointless point .

Its almost as if you work for the council .

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ok . Let’s not bore the other posters to death on such a pointless point .

Its almost as if you work for the council .

I agree that it is totally irrelevant and boring to mention the council - I wonder why you did - as you say it was pointless?

Just now, Badger said:

I agree that it is totally irrelevant and boring to mention the council - I wonder why you did - as you say it was pointless?

It got a mention earlier in the thread . I followed it up. 
I also know the club have got the hump about the bus Lane . 
Shall  we stop now? I promise if you want you can have the last word ? 

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

And also the resale value of the timber would subsidise the cost of a new one in today's market!

Indeed, its doubled in value.....

5 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

£10 for away fans. The home fans will be priced nearer to normal. With discounts for kids and OAP’s.  All we need to do is make enough money to afford the loan over the next 25 years.  I’m sure the Council might be interested with the extra tourism in the area and might put their hand in their pocket to help subsidise. 

So you want Home fans to subsidise making CR a better venue for away clubs and their fans?  And you are also happy to lessen the advantage of playing at home, thus making it more difficult for NCFC to be successful?

I'm out.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

You are falling for the ramblings of the latest owners of a mediocre third division club. It’s exactly what yesterday was about. The cancellation of premier league games even meant they got talkballs to cover it live. Along with the talk of massive club , I was waiting for them to mention 6500 for Barrow in the cup  followed by defeat in the replay. If that seriously is the model you want to follow then feel free. I’ll stick with the stability and standard here thanks.

I haven't 'fallen' for anything. All I've done is report back on the various public pronouncements these owners have made about long term plans to redevelop certain stands and (potentially) the whole ground itself. It may turn out to be 'ramblings' as you suggest but there again it might be a serious and attainable vision. I don't know and I suggest you don't either.

Of course we have had 'stability and standard' at FCR for many years whilst our rivals have slowly fallen by the wayside both on and off the pitch. Like you I have no time for them but I am always objective in life and if someone (whoever it / they happen to be) does / proposes something that smacks of ambition backed up with supporter involvement and the money to back it, then why shouldn't it be recognised (even grudgingly so).  The 'stability and standard' under the geriatric Stowmarket Two has yielded us a baggage of 'little old Norwich'  that has infected our supporter base for years and even past managers (note Farkes' comments after the surrenders at Man City and Chelsea). Oh and as for them being a 'mediocre Third Division club' (which they have become I agree), I still fear a potentially successful promotion push from them from what I saw yesterday which might mean the Old Farm Derby resumes again next season as we will sure as hell get relegated unless a sensational turnaround in our goal scoring takes place!  

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

When the CR development occurs it will be on the back of investment around the Venue concept and not just as a football ground . There will have been lots of consultations on the subject already. A city based venue in an accessible area will murder anything that can be built / used in Ipswich. 

The venue aspect is the bit that has been missed by many , both in terms of the pension investment for the Binners and the raising of the cash for Carrow Road . I keep reading about the club raising x million to pay for  y number of seats . That isn’t how it will work . 

Don’t forget too that you have a Finance guy now at NCFC who was at MK Dons - who’s ground is venue first , football ground second . He may be crucial . 

That all said , you can’t rely on a council that insisted on a bus Lane by the shop (thus stopping cars using that entrance) that doesn’t now have any buses going through it !! 

I'm not trying to pick an argument with you but could you send a link / provide details of all these plans for FCR development (incorporating the 'venue' vehicle) and the 'consultations that have happened already' as I have not read / heard anything about this at all or (quite likely!) I may just have missed it.  Also, I fail to see why such a development (until I see any actual plans for use / scale / facilities etc.) would automatically be better to anything they might build? Their stadium is a short walk to town centre and train station just as FCR is. Both grounds are similar and both have public roads right alongside (or very close anyway) to two stands inhibiting to a large degree any significant expansion. Yes we can develop behind the South Stand (but lose the car park potentially) whilst they could (I assume) do similar at the back of their main stand?  

11 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I'm not trying to pick an argument 

I think you might be …

You seem happy to accept some pie in the sky comments about Portaloo Road ( unless you have seen “all these plans “ of course ) but wont believe that anyone at NCFC have made any enquiries whatsoever into ground development despite Zoe Ward saying at the AGM this year 

For us at the moment, it's about taking the first steps and understanding what the feasibility is and what that stand would look like, what the rest of the Carrow Road site would look like and then we can build that masterplan before implementing some of that work. 

I can’t show you any plans of course . But you know that . And I doubt that you can show me any from ITFC. 

But if you honestly think that Ipswich could have the (what was it ?) “biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia” , when Ipswich doesn’t have the largest anything else in East Anglia then I suspect you just want an argument about our current owners and building a bigger stand 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I think you might be …

You seem happy to accept some pie in the sky comments about Portaloo Road ( unless you have seen “all these plans “ of course ) but wont believe that anyone at NCFC have made any enquiries whatsoever into ground development despite Zoe Ward saying at the AGM this year 

For us at the moment, it's about taking the first steps and understanding what the feasibility is and what that stand would look like, what the rest of the Carrow Road site would look like and then we can build that masterplan before implementing some of that work. 

I can’t show you any plans of course . But you know that . And I doubt that you can show me any from ITFC. 

But if you honestly think that Ipswich could have the (what was it ?) “biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia” , when Ipswich doesn’t have the largest anything else in East Anglia then I suspect you just want an argument about our current owners and building a bigger stand 

Trophy cabinet …… lol

2 hours ago, Heading South said:

Trophy cabinet …… lol

Heading South, say something positive about us (i.e our team NCFC) not yours. There is the distinctive whiff of bitter, jealous bin about you.

Go on, say something positively all Norwich City

9 hours ago, East Rider said:

Heading South, say something positive about us (i.e our team NCFC) not yours. There is the distinctive whiff of bitter, jealous bin about you.

Go on, say something positively all Norwich City

Strong whiff?

A binner was given an opening to indulge in a little history fest. He's unlikely to miss that opportunity. It's all they have.

I'll never forget a comment on TWTD referring to, "our bulging trophy cabinet," and thinking at the time that it must be a pretty small piece of furniture.

All three of them, which now have more need of anti-rust treatment than a rub of Brasso, doesn't constitute a 'bulge.'

What with trophy cabinets, that forest of statues and now, apparently, placards devoted to past heroes posted prominently around the stadium, the whole place must more resemble a museum than a football ground these days.

Edited by BroadstairsR

22 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Yes, of course it will be....did you even read this post before you pressed Submit? 🤣

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Yes, of course it will be....did you even read this post before you pressed Submit? 🤣

Yes I did but I'm sure you will clarify any misunderstanding on my part will you not?