10 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree! If the club was at all ambitious, the Subbuteo stand would have been rebuilt years ago.  

The binners look set to get a crown above our capacity next week , embarrassing really , built it and take a gamble .!

We don't need a stadium expansion now that Covid passports are required for football.

About 20% of adults are not double jabbed, so that frees up about 5000 seats. 

39 minutes ago, Heading South said:

The binners look set to get a crown above our capacity next week , embarrassing really , built it and take a gamble .!

Just seen that. They are looking at a crowd of some 28,000, possibly more. An incredible figure for a much ridiculed Div. One club I have to admit. Closer examination reveals a three game 'deal' for £40 or individual tickets at (or starting from) £15. Either way it will exceed our just over 27,000 we will see at FCR tomorrow for a match against (arguably) the most famous club in the world parading the most famous player in the world. If anything sums up The Cook's 'little old Norwich' obsession, it will be these attendances!! Truly embarrassing as you say and (albeit very briefly) I expect TWTD to laud that fact very much in the days ahead.    

• Like 1

I shared this once upon a time, used the mirror effect to make the city stand the same as the south stand… not bad, would look quite the stadium!

40766284-89A6-43D5-84C0-C4641FF46132.jpeg

5 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

We had a three season stay before and no work was done despite McNally saying that was the criteria. The City Stand is a cringing embarrassment as it resembles your average Div. One or even Div. Two grounds! The work should have been carried out years ago. There is no foresight or ambition from the geriatrics who 'own' the club to push this project through so until they sell up / hand control to A N Other then don't expect anything to happen.  

I think they said three survivals, not three seasons. Relegation meant that money was needed elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Heading South said:

A crown above our capacity ? 
Is that the same as another star? 

If the club are going to do this they need to do it properly. 35k absolute minimum or dont bother and leave it as is. I'd like to see nearer 40k though... with the right pricing that is fillable. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 08:58, Graham Paddons Beard said:

A crown above our capacity ? 
Is that the same as another star? 

I see they done 29005 I’m impressed and depressed at same time Grrrrrrrr

2 minutes ago, Heading South said:

Yeah I noticed that.

IF we go into 'behind closed doors' soon, we need to give the builders a ring.

On 10/12/2021 at 21:54, TeemuVanBasten said:

We don't need a stadium expansion now that Covid passports are required for football.

Or not if you bother to read the requirements!

On 10/12/2021 at 21:54, TeemuVanBasten said:

So how come Ipswich got 29,000 today and that was with said passports!

On 10/12/2021 at 16:39, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

We all know that the Geoffrey Watling stand has needed work for years.

At what point would you be happy for us to put infrastructure before team improvement? For a club our size it will always be one or the other and not both. 

So in the simplest terms, what would be your criteria to begin the much needed work to increase capacity?

Never gonna happen, next

24 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So how come Ipswich got 29,000 today and that was with said passports!

Because at the moment you can just show a negative lateral flow test, you don't have to be doubled jabbed. 

7 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Never gonna happen, next

With our current decrepit owners I agree. However there is a cheap way of significantly improving the look of Carrow Road and being publicly proud of our past. Today I was with the 2000 Mackems at Ipswich courtesy of a family friend who is a die hard Sunderland fan. I was as anti Ipswich and pro Sunderland for 90 minutes as anyone could be. When the equaliser went in I was jumping around just as if Norwich had scored I can tell you! 

Anyway, as we arrived early my friend wanted to wander round the ground and I immediately saw the series of photos / drawings or whatever they are along the entire Cobbold Stand and also down the entire length of the North Stand. This was done in the summer apparently courtesy of the new owners as part of the overall ground redevelopment plans. Now lets forget all this stuff about 'their obsession with their history' just for a moment. Fact is that the club are proud of their history and are keen to display moments from it and why not? From my perspective Norwich continually hide behind this embarrassing label of 'little old Norwich' and consequently do nothing to publicly celebrate our history. Carrow Road has bags of spare space on the outside facade / walls to display such momentos. Fans could be asked to submit designs and the supporters group then select say the 'top ten'. The cost would be minimal and I'm also sure with the right publicity that fans would chip in a few quid to pay for it (or cover part of the cost anyway).

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/iconic-images-go-up-at-portman-road-8159834    

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 18:28, Robornio said:

A fair question. Ideally around the 38-40k mark, I’d say. It would be nice to get to more games now that I live miles away and don’t have my season ticket. I just hope they make an architectural statement with it (and not ill-planned like the hotel). 

We could easily fill a 40k stadium if we priced the seats accordingly. 

Make CR the No.1 destination for away fans. £10 a seat. Circa 90% of the PL would bring 7,500 I’d have thought. So that means we’d need to fill 32,000 with a few deductions for safety.

The city seems to be growing at a rapid rate and over next 30 years gradually put prices up as we have more demand. 

No point in increasing capacity, many season ticket holders are staying away because they fear getting sick. We haven't been sold out for any home game this season.

3 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

We could easily fill a 40k stadium if we priced the seats accordingly. 

Make CR the No.1 destination for away fans. £10 a seat. Circa 90% of the PL would bring 7,500 I’d have thought. So that means we’d need to fill 32,000 with a few deductions for safety.

The city seems to be growing at a rapid rate and over next 30 years gradually put prices up as we have more demand. 

So you propose spending £50,000,000 on extending the capacity and you think we should also be cutting ticket income by at least 30%?

8 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

No point in increasing capacity, many season ticket holders are staying away because they fear getting sick. We haven't been sold out for any home game this season.

With nigh on 100,000 verified new cases daily, and almost certainly many times that number untested, it’s hardly surprising that some people are still cautious about shoe-horning themselves into close proximity with 27,000 other people who are shouting and chanting for 90 minutes.  Mandatory full vaccination, testing on the day of the match and mask wearing throughout would help to mitigate the risks but some conspiracy theorist anti-vaxxers seem to be against this, claiming that steps to reduce the risk of them infecting, or being infected by, others are an affront to their civil liberties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helsinki canary said:

Its a shame they didn’t  rebuild the current one from wood, the old one was easily dealt with 

And also the resale value of the timber would subsidise the cost of a new one in today's market!

12 hours ago, Heading South said:

We had 20k season ticket holders in Div3

We stayed one year - won the league - and went back up.

The Binners went bust in building a larger ground they couldn’t afford .

I hope you enjoyed the game yesterday - a point at home against a side that have been in Div3 even longer than your lot . 

28 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

We had 20k season ticket holders in Div3

We stayed one year - won the league - and went back up.

The Binners went bust in building a larger ground they couldn’t afford .

I hope you enjoyed the game yesterday - a point at home against a side that have been in Div3 even longer than your lot . 

And we've been sold out and had a season ticket waiting list for about 13 years. We have no way of knowing what crowds those hundreds of sold out games could've attracted. Our leg of the play-off semi-final against the binners sold out in minutes and tickets were like gold dust, whilst their leg barely sold out with people buying tickets on the day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

And we've been sold out and had a season ticket waiting list for about 13 years. We have no way of knowing what crowds those hundreds of sold out games could've attracted. Our leg of the play-off semi-final against the binners sold out in minutes and tickets were like gold dust, whilst their leg barely sold out with people buying tickets on the day. 

I’m not arguing with any of that . My points are in reply to the Binners excitement. 

7 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

So you propose spending £50,000,000 on extending the capacity and you think we should also be cutting ticket income by at least 30%?

Quite, and largely for the benefit of away fans. I did wonder whether this post was so ill informed it was intended as satire.

Evidence for years has suggested we need more seats, but if Covid is again going to restrict income, which is looking likely, then the funds will not be available.

The absences due to Covid in the GW Stand at the moment demonstrates that temporarily closing it should not be quite the red line as previously thought which (aside from the money) was deemed to be a big hurdle to replacing that stand.  If the rebuild is properly planned and funded, the example of Anfield's recent and current rebuild shows what can be done with minimal impact on current season ticket  holders.

This season also demonstrates that no matter what amount of money we have for a transfer budget we will not necessarily spend it well.  We have to find a better way to being self funding and to create a step change it will require investment, but we have tried one route and come up very short. 

If the capital investment is structured well, it can be pursued whilst still not impinging on the transfer budget, in the medium to long term adding to it.  A mixture of supporter funded bonds, long term bank borrowing and some form of share issue will provide a "relatively" cheap and stable borrowing commitment. 

The increased use of the Stadium in the future as the biggest large scale event venue in East Anglia will provide a strong business planning imperative.  

Without showing continued ambition a la Colney at the Carra, the club will wither on the vine.  We have quite simply failed to prove the case even short term that the status quo can make us a permanent member of the EPĹ.  Something else has to be tried.  Stadium expansion via ring fenced mini financial/ business plan is that, separate to a self-funding approach to on-field activity.

Sure short term pain, but if we truly want to be part of the EPL "club" as a top 17 member I would argue we now have only two choices.  The above or allow the club to become a rich man's play thing.  The former remains my choice.

Edited by shefcanary