Lee Marshall

What are your thoughts on swearing at Carrow Road?

This is a serious topic that will probably start a bit of a debate, so be warned. Serious replies only please, people who will just make short and angry posts in this thread will be ignored, as we don't want you in this thread.

Should swearing be banned in the Barclay, Snake Pit, and away fans stands? As those three are the only stands that swear in the ground. I've seen some clubs have a no swearing policy in place to make the grounds more kid-friendly and appropriate for them.

And I know some songs with swear words in are just banter, but it does come across as a bit angry and silly. The best fan chants/songs are the ones without swear words, I tend to find. Also, sometimes the swear words in a fan song can be replaced to another word, like the f word can be replaced by 'flipping', for example.

And you can still hear these stand's songs in other stands, so don't suggest sitting in a different stand to avoid hearing those three stand's chants.

So, yeah, every other stand you are not allowed to swear in, but yet away fans, the Barclay, and the Snake Pit can. This needs to be changed so all stands cannot use swear words at matches.

Edited by Lee Marshall

I’ll hold my hands up - dropping the C-bomb many times in the River End directed at Danny Fox during that Boxing Day City v Forest game was probably not was expected…but he is a c-bomb

Swearing is ok up to a point, I guess most of us do it to some degree or other, but there are situations where it is not appropriate - and being in a place where others are present who might not like it is one of those. Show a bit of respect to those around you, like kids and families.   You may swear in front of your family at home, but if so keep it at home or for when you are somewhere where people around you are of like mind.  I'm no prude and swear occasionally, but don't do it at football grounds and never have - it's like having respect for those around you who might not like it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Swearing is ok up to a point, I guess most of us do it to some degree or other, but there are situations where it is not appropriate - and being in a place where others are present who might not like it is one of those. Show a bit of respect to those around you, like kids and families.   You may swear in front of your family at home, but if so keep it at home or for when you are somewhere where people around you are of like mind.  I'm no prude and swear occasionally, but don't do it at football grounds and never have - it's like having respect for those around you who might not like it.

Come on LDC, the original poster is a complete wind-up merchant.  I’m surprised at you for not seeing through him.

• Like 1

This is probably a good idea. Especially with the chants, it's just being courteous to those around you. A child, or, these days, possibly even a lady might be within earshot. 

It's quite simple and basic good manners. I suggest:

Always plop on the old blue and white.

My Old man said be an Ipswich fan, I said "Good Lord, heavens not a chance!" 

Who's the wally in the black

And so forth. Anyone not adopting such conversions in the name of human decency to be ejected and issued with a stadium ban.

We can't be seen to be having f**king c**ts like that in the ground. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agreed. Great post, LDC! It's best to respect the kids and families in the ground who don't want to hear the swear words. If fans want to swear, then a pub is the best place to do it.

This is exactly what I was thinking when making this thread.

Edited by Lee Marshall

1 minute ago, Lee Marshall said:

Agreed. Great post, LDC! It's best to respect the kids and families in the ground who don't want to hear the swear words. If fans want to swear, then a pub is the best place to do it.

This is exactly what I was thinking when making this thread.

Why do you feel it is acceptable to use foul language in a pub?

What if just to your left there is a family enjoying scampi in a basket and an accompanying carbonated soft drink? They wouldn't appreciate it, would they? If your vocabulary is so limited that you have to resort to using swear words in public, you're probably best staying at home.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Why do you feel it is acceptable to use foul language in a pub?

What if just to your left there is a family enjoying scampi in a basket and an accompanying carbonated soft drink? They wouldn't appreciate it, would they? If your vocabulary is so limited that you have to resort to using swear words in public, you're probably best staying at home.

Surely the key issue here is how many pieces of scampi are in the basket?

• Like 1

Perhaps at the City Stand but not the stadium as a whole.  The City stand could do with knoking down and replacing IMHO.  I'm sure several fans would be swearing then.

It’s my favourite f@£;ing thing to f@!£ing do at the football tbh

Edited by The Real Buh

I think the responsibility should be with both parents / people who are offended by it and those who go specifically for a slightly more charged aggressive experience. 

Be mindful that if you're going in the family areas then it's not acceptable. At the same time, don't take your kids in the snake pit and then complain.

At the end of the day football is a highly emotive sport and will cause these reactions and if the players are going to do it there's very little you can do to get away from it.

37 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

We don’t swear in the river end upper but we have been known to rustle our sweetly papers very loudly at times 

The rustle of pharmacy bags and cracking open of wharfarin at half time in the River end upper stand is enough to put me off my werthers. 

I take my 8 yo nephew to the home games in River End. He knows he shouldn't swear but, provided it isn't incessant I have no issue with the occasional profanity from those around us and he seems to find it funny. If it was more than the occasional C you next tuesday I think I'd say something but it's never been a problem. Nothing worse than they hear at school - in the playground - teaching is better now apparently

10 minutes ago, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

I think the responsibility should be with both parents / people who are offended by it and those who go specifically for a slightly more charged aggressive experience. 

Be mindful that if you're going in the family areas then it's not acceptable. At the same time, don't take your kids in the snake pit and then complain.

At the end of the day football is a highly emotive sport and will cause these reactions and if the players are going to do it there's very little you can do to get away from it.

Gotta love the

”Dear Delia

I took my little munchkin, flubabwubawubwub Princess Consuela to Barclay E block against a team know as “Ip-Swich” we naturally unpacked our picnic as is tradition at a cramped football ground, and I’m fairly sure that I heard somebody take the lords name in vain and say “****” several times

please supply details as to How football will be shut down entirely forever

yours sincerely

generic millenial parent”

For me on match days, it's the constant 'click clack click' and 'knit one purl one' of the knitting fraternity frenzy that takes place in The Cathedral Area that really gives me the needle.......The seating aisles full of casually discarded and strewn everywhere copies of 'Hunting and Hounds' and 'North Norfolk Living' magazines.....It's a fu*kin' disgrace!.....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

For me on match days, it's the constant 'click clack click' and 'knit one purl one' of the knitting fraternity frenzy that takes place in The Cathedral Area that really gives me the needle.......The seating aisles full of casually discarded and strewn everywhere copies of 'Hunting and Hounds' and 'North Norfolk Living' magazines.....It's a fu*kin' disgrace!.....

“Ooh! Another interview with Joanna Lumley talking about her perfect Sunday dog walks”

2 hours ago, Lee Marshall said:

This is a serious topic that will probably start a bit of a debate, so be warned. Serious replies only please, people who will just make short and angry posts in this thread will be ignored, as we don't want you in this thread.

Should swearing be banned in the Barclay, Snake Pit, and away fans stands? As those three are the only stands that swear in the ground. I've seen some clubs have a no swearing policy in place to make the grounds more kid-friendly and appropriate for them.

And I know some songs with swear words in are just banter, but it does come across as a bit angry and silly. The best fan chants/songs are the ones without swear words, I tend to find. Also, sometimes the swear words in a fan song can be replaced to another word, like the f word can be replaced by 'flipping', for example.

And you can still hear these stand's songs in other stands, so don't suggest sitting in a different stand to avoid hearing those three stand's chants.

So, yeah, every other stand you are not allowed to swear in, but yet away fans, the Barclay, and the Snake Pit can. This needs to be changed so all stands cannot use swear words at matches.

**** off.

Please.

😇

• Like 1

Like someone else has said, they hear swearing in everyday life in the playground.  What I can't stand is hearing parents swearing at their kids - that is bang out of order.  However, taking the swearing out of football would be another woeful step in its sanitisation and removing the emotion of it from the game.  I took both of my daughters (now adults) to games from the age of 5 onwards and explained to them that they might hear words that they shouldn't repeat elsewhere.  They loved the atmosphere and noise of the Barclay and everything that went with it  and have grown into fantastic young women who have a brilliant grounding in and understanding of the world around them.  It certainly hasn't been detrimental to  their development.