Sign in to follow this  
Jed Maxwell

Applause For Arthur

I wondered if anybody is aware of plans for a minute's applause at Saturday's match in memory of little Arthur, similar to those we saw across the country last weekend?

A truly tragic, unfathomable and devastating event, which as a family man continues to trouble me.

I hope we have the opportunity to pay our respects.

• Like 1

During the match? What happens if a team scores during one of these minutes of virtue signalling?  Or perhaps a player fails to score due to being distracted by the spontaneous applause?  It’s just about ok to do these things before kick-off, but surely not during play.

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

During the match? What happens if a team scores during one of these minutes of virtue signalling?  Or perhaps a player fails to score due to being distracted by the spontaneous applause?  It’s just about ok to do these things before kick-off, but surely not during play.

You don’t have many friends do you? 

• Haha 1

Would much rather everybody signed the petition asking to 'Give frontline social workers the funding they need to support vulnerable families' on change.org.

We can't do anything for Arthur now but we can, hopefully, try to stop the disgusting abuse happen again.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Would much rather everybody signed the petition asking to 'Give frontline social workers the funding they need to support vulnerable families' on change.org.

We can't do anything for Arthur now but we can, hopefully, try to stop the disgusting abuse happen again.

Agree with your sentiments, surely we could do both.

To be fair to the OP, he clearly hasn't intended it that way, but when someone says "as a family man" or "as a parent", it can sometimes really grate on the single and/or childfree as it can come across as infantilising their opinion/considering it less valid. 

But there's no doubt in my mind that those two should be in for life.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think thats too good for them! 

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair to the OP, he clearly hasn't intended it that way, but when someone says "as a family man" or "as a parent", it can sometimes really grate on the single and/or childfree as it can come across as infantilising their opinion/considering it less valid. 

Fair point, certainly wasn’t meant that way. I would like to think any decent human being would find these events disturbing irrespective of status, and personally I would like the opportunity to pay respects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

There's no doubt in my mind that those two should be in for life.

I think they should be lined up against a wall and shot between the eyes personally, if inmates haven't done the business for us within a few years, I'd volunteer to do it for free, the country is too soft.

I'd go even further and throw them in with the big cats at London Zoo after a three day fast, I'd sell tickets to the event. These people are from a class of people that don't deserve to breathe.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Completely agree with this.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, the idea of clapping at a football match for a child who was essentially slowly tortured to death seems a bit.. crass to me?

Why don't we all circulate the petition which may well result in action being taken that stops appalling incidents like this happening again in future? Why don't we all write to our local MP and express our disgust at what has happened and ask for them to lobby the government for more funding for social workers who can hopefully put an end to child abuse and support families who has been affected by it?

This isn't directed at any of you, and again I appreciate the message that everyone is trying to get across with the applause (although I do find it crass), but as a country we've become obsessed with doing the bare minimum in situations like this. So long as we're seen to be disgusted/angered/saddened with what has happened, it doesn't matter if nothing is done to prevent it from happening again. 

What happened to that little boy was absolutely horrific and as he was a Birmingham City supporter it was totally appropriate for them to make some kind of tribute, and really good to see Millwall fans joining in. For the rest of the football fraternity there is definitely more that we could do and @Yellow Wal's suggestion is a good one so here is a link to the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/government-give-frontline-social-workers-the-funding-they-need-to-support-vulnerable-families

• Like 1