Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Ashes cricket + NCFC

There seems to be sod all of interest right now on here, so thought I’d see what people reckon about the Ashes - it looks like it could be an interesting series.

Keeping it partly NCFC related, I always wonder who it is that takes those flags to games - I’m pretty sure I saw some NCFC supporters out in Oz last time we were there….due to Covid I don’t suppose there will be many travelling out this time, but there’s bound to be plenty of ex-pats so I’ll be keeping an eye out.

Tbh I don’t think we’ll get enough runs, a common problem in recent years - the players are surely undercooked having had no match time due to the weather, whereas the Aussies are fresh from winning the T20 World Cup and/or in the middle of their season.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh I don’t think we’ll get enough runs, a common problem in recent years - the players are surely undercooked having had no match time due to the weather, whereas the Aussies are fresh from winning the T20 World Cup and/or in the middle of their season.

Depends how burns,hameed and malan get before root gets in. 

Basically root bails out England like pukki does for us.

Oddly, BT was always the one thing we had as a free thing with our broadband - have never had sky.  The usual stream sites aren’t hot on cricket so not sure if they’d be any help.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Beefy is a legend said:

BT is about the only thing I don't subscribe to. Any ideas on how to watch?

Who watches the cricket !? TMS is simply the only way. 

• Like 1

I have to be up for work in the morning, but you just have to stay up for the start of the first Test of an Ashes series. I still remember that first ball from Steve Harmison in the 2006-07 series which set the tone. Speaking of which, he's in the studio for BT and he hasn't half put on some timber!

• Like 1

Can’t wait and will watch for as long as possible tonight. Anyone tried Smartcric for very decent visuals 😉?

Edited by Midlands Yellow

2 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

BT is about the only thing I don't subscribe to. Any ideas on how to watch?

Here you go, it's Aussie comms, but don't really care.

https://buffstreams.tv/live-the-ashes-australia-vs-england

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Keeping it partly NCFC related, I always wonder who it is that takes those flags to games - I’m pretty sure I saw some NCFC supporters out in Oz last time we were there….due to Covid I don’t suppose there will be many travelling out this time, but there’s bound to be plenty of ex-pats so I’ll be keeping an eye out.

I remember a couple of away series ago, two I think, I was watching the close of play interviews and I remember seeing the unmistakeable figure of the late Paul Rudd, R. I. P. mate, waving from across the whole of the cricket ground. I spoke to his close mate at the time and he asked me if I'd seen him too. Don't think he took a flag with him though.

Embarrassing. And why have BT Sport changed the wicket and run order for the score, what’s that about? It’s 11-3 not 3-11. Admittedly that still doesn’t sound much better.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

14 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Embarrassing. And why have BT Sport changed the wicket and run order for the score, what’s that about? It’s 11-3 not 3-11. Admittedly that still doesn’t sound much better.

It's how the Aussies do it, so I presume the graphics are part of the Australian coverage, as is the commentary.

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's how the Aussies do it, so I presume the graphics are part of the Australian coverage, as is the commentary.

Never knew that. Assumed it was part of the BT coverage, that is quite odd that they show it the opposite way round!

That does seem a strange stick to beat BT Sport with, Aussies have always read the score ‘wrong’.  (Though tbh it has always felt it makes sense as it’s how you read bowling figures, ie 2 for 21).  I imagine whoever was doing the coverage this year it would be pretty much the same due to covid restrictions.

29 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That does seem a strange stick to beat BT Sport with, Aussies have always read the score ‘wrong’.  (Though tbh it has always felt it makes sense as it’s how you read bowling figures, ie 2 for 21).  I imagine whoever was doing the coverage this year it would be pretty much the same due to covid restrictions.

Haven't seen it before and haven't had sky long enough to have watched any cricket in Australia prior to yesterday. It seemed a more natural conclusion than assuming the Australians record the score differently but we live and learn hey!

I much prefer the normal way to be honest. The batting side are going for runs so its runs over wickets, and the bowler figures are backwards as they are going for wickets and want to do it as effectively as possible i.e. wickets over runs.

Sort it out BT 😄

It’s one of those oddities about cricket, part of the mystery of the game!

I find fixture lists a bit odd too - the world over they are usually home team v away team, but for some reason ‘American’ sports seem to show fixtures as away team at home team.  I occasionally go to ice hockey and it does confuse people.

How unlucky, no ball and just short for Root! Just need that bit of Aussie luck!

Didn’t get any luck at all in that first session and it looks like they made us pay.  Where’s that dodgy weather gone that washed out our warmup matches…?!

• Like 2