Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ben Godfrey.. dear oh dear

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I might as well leave this here, never tire of watching it do you ?

That is an awesome comedy classic, watching and chuckling away. 

I'll raise you this: "his father was a Cabinet minister and his mother won the Derby!"

46 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Watching some IPlayer Master Chef now, Mr Creosote should join Jay Raynor and the gorgeous Grace Dent on the critics table. 

I’m catching up with master chef too. You can keep grace dent though, I can’t stand her.😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vos said:

Not 100% sure it was deliberate as Godfrey is not normally that sort of player 

Not many are that sort of player...

Until they do something like that.

Turns out he is that sort.

11 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

May I ask, have you played/play at any half decent level? I don't mean that to be patronising so apologies if it comes across as such, but anyone who's played the game will tell you Godfrey 100% knew what he was doing, and it's a straight red everyday. The fact VAR doesn't give it a red shows our refs don't have a working knowledge of the game. 

Every pundit, and ex player I've heard talking about the incident both on TV and radio have said the same thing. 

Two questions.
1) what is "any half decent level?"
2) Have you played at that level?

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Two questions.

1) Sloughbottom park 

2) Only on FIFA

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chicken said:

Two questions.

Any form of Saturday football within the main football pyramid. 

Yes. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Any form of Saturday football within the main football pyramid. 

Yes. 

What do you mean "main". As in, Ang Comb, Conference sorry, national league, or League 2? 

Edited by chicken

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

What do you mean "main". As in, Ang Comb, Conference sorry, national league, or League 2? 

Most Saturday leagues are within the main pyramid, effectively a team in the Central and South Norfolk leagues, or Yarmouth and District League etc could potentially get to the Premier league 😁

Sunday league is not what I'd class as serious football for example, and 100% would have been deliberate in those leagues 😂

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Most Saturday leagues are within the main pyramid, effectively a team in the Central and South Norfolk leagues, or Yarmouth and District League etc could potentially get to the Premier league 😁

Sunday league is not what I'd class as serious football for example, and 100% would have been deliberate in those leagues 😂

Having played in both, I would say Sunday League is largely made up of players who play Saturdays but not to a high level. Or at least have done, some switching to Sunday's when they have kids, or other things like work become more necessary.

Having been involved in it for 20+ years as a player and manager both at local level, South East University level, and in and around London - I think I can honestly say, some very, very good players wouldn't know how to pull that off without a lot of practice.

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

Having played in both, I would say Sunday League is largely made up of players who play Saturdays but not to a high level. Or at least have done, some switching to Sunday's when they have kids, or other things like work become more necessary.

Having been involved in it for 20+ years as a player and manager both at local level, South East University level, and in and around London - I think I can honestly say, some very, very good players wouldn't know how to pull that off without a lot of practice.

Possibly, however the reason I asked the question is many years ago I was playing in an away game in Norwich (Tacolneston springs to mind), and their CB was digging at, niggling at and just being a right pain in the **** to me all game, we had a similar coming together as last night and I 100% left a stamp in on him, leg not face being the only difference (I'm not proud of it btw). It was 100% deliberate and I should have been sent off, but I very easily convinced the ref it was accidental. 

Now I wasn't anything more than a bang average player who didn't play any higher than Anglian Combination level, and not the very top end either. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m catching up with master chef too. You can keep grace dent though, I can’t stand her.😁

I'm with midlandso, she is interesting.

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Possibly, however the reason I asked the question is many years ago I was playing in an away game in Norwich (Tacolneston springs to mind), and their CB was digging at, niggling at and just being a right pain in the **** to me all game, we had a similar coming together as last night and I 100% left a stamp in on him, leg not face being the only difference (I'm not proud of it btw). It was 100% deliberate and I should have been sent off, but I very easily convinced the ref it was accidental. 

Now I wasn't anything more than a bang average player who didn't play any higher than Anglian Combination level, and not the very top end either. 

Heh, I tried replicating Harald Schumacher's infamous foul in a derby match with our reserve team when I was a 15 y/o goalie. I'm not saying there was a serious personality clash with the reserve team striker but if he were on fire, I wouldn't even urinate on him. Still doesn't beat the borderline race riot I provoked in one five-a-side league game when the referee was doing absolutely sod-all and the other team were playing the race card at all times - doesn't work with me, and I get competitive to the point of toxicity in those situations. You know it's bad when the half-time team talk refers to your most combative player, who's a week away from joining the RAF, saying he might get his first chance to nail some suicide bombers early!

In other words, I always had a malicious streak as a player if the other team acts like a/holes.

• Haha 1

On 07/12/2021 at 05:02, Midlands Yellow said:

If that’s not deliberate then none of Mings past misdemeanours are either. He knew what he was doing with the theatricals after the stamp too. 

Be interesting to see if Godfrey is involved in similar incidents at some point in the future. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he is after seeing that.