Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ben Godfrey.. dear oh dear

At one end of the pitch “That’s what the fans wanted!”, before it’s chalked off, then at the other end another frustrating time for Everton.

VAR really is the biggest mistake in football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To be fair, he was looking at the ball and not where his foot was going to land. It was a bit careless, but not intentional.

Oh he meant that, changed the direction his foot was planted, 100% deliberate. 

I saw someone mention signing Nketiah the other day, and after that shocker of a miss it seems he'd fit in well here.... 

14 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

OMG, what a turnaround, if only we could do this ourselves from behind.

You mean like we did against Southampton?

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You mean like we did against Southampton?

Not in that dramatic fashion though. Also, if we had VAR cheating us like the way it did with Everton tonight (although both were offside this technology is ruining the game and excitement of celebrating goals) and were 1-0 down, we would let it get to us and affect our game.

I cannot see there being for a long time a match in which we come from behind to win either. With the teams we need to beat to survive, I can see us doing it as long as we don’t trail.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If he deliberately planted his boot on his head while looking in a completely different direction then that's almost supernatural skill in action. 

I don’t think he was aiming for his head, but it looks a pretty deliberate stamp….

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Disagree, that's a total accident. It only looks bad if you referee it by frame instead of looking at it holistically.

Nah he has the reaction time to be able to hop or skip out of that, it’s why players often go to ground or ‘jump’ over other players on the ground. Sorry to say as love Godfrey but the guy falls down right in front of him and his foot goes a long way to reach his head. If players didn’t have the reaction time to do that then you’d see instances like this (and Mings on Oliveira) on a weekly or even gamely basis! 

• Like 1

For me that doesn't look good at all.

No excuses. That's a stamp. 

If you're a professional footballer earning a ridiculous amount of money and control a ball in a tight angle then you can stop yourself doing that.

Dreadful behaviour. 

Shameful. 

Don't like seeing players behave like this then palm it off as an accident. 

I'm glad he doesn't play for this club anymore. 

11 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

For me that doesn't look good at all.

No excuses. That's a stamp. 

If you're a professional footballer earning a ridiculous amount of money and control a ball in a tight angle then you can stop yourself doing that.

Dreadful behaviour. 

Shameful. 

Don't like seeing players behave like this then palm it off as an accident. 

I'm glad he doesn't play for this club anymore. 

No sort of apology after or fear of what he has just done makes it clear It was intended. 

Anyone who thinks anything different is lying to themselves. 

19 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Nah he has the reaction time to be able to hop or skip out of that, it’s why players often go to ground or ‘jump’ over other players on the ground. Sorry to say as love Godfrey but the guy falls down right in front of him and his foot goes a long way to reach his head. If players didn’t have the reaction time to do that then you’d see instances like this (and Mings on Oliveira) on a weekly or even gamely basis! 

Disagree, and the notion of reaction time only crops up because of this refereeing frame-by-frame and the fact it's in slow motion. Not remotely a clear and obvious case of serious foul play or violent conduct, and the referee's got this one spot on.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Disagree, and the notion of reaction time only crops up because of this refereeing frame-by-frame and the fact it's in slow motion. Not remotely a clear and obvious case of serious foul play or violent conduct, and the referee's got this one spot on.

Definitely wrong. You're a good poster that I enjoy reading.

On this occasion...you have it wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Definitely wrong. You're a good poster that I enjoy reading.

On this occasion...you have it wrong.

I'm very confident I have it right. Bearing in mind that's a borderline stamp at most, you'd not get violent conduct, so that leaves serious foul play or a second yellow card as the only other options. I don't know if Godfrey had been carded at that point, but a yellow there would be definitely in the unsporting behaviour category IF one had been given.

Godfrey's half-clipped that ball and gone slightly off balance upon contact with the lad he hit and kept striding. There are plenty of occasions where a player going down will inadvertently get stood on. This was a pretty clear case of one, made to look worse that he got caught near his head.

I'd be very sure the referees there all thought "no malice at all" when played at real speed and I'd actually be surprised if they didn't make sure they looked at the whole thing at real speed. Again, refereeing that at slow-mo has a knack of making all contact look worse simply as people think there's more time than there is.

He knew exactly what he was doing. It would be very naive to think otherwise.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm very confident I have it right. Bearing in mind that's a borderline stamp at most, you'd not get violent conduct, so that leaves serious foul play or a second yellow card as the only other options. I don't know if Godfrey had been carded at that point, but a yellow there would be definitely in the unsporting behaviour category IF one had been given.

Godfrey's half-clipped that ball and gone slightly off balance upon contact with the lad he hit and kept striding. There are plenty of occasions where a player going down will inadvertently get stood on. This was a pretty clear case of one, made to look worse that he got caught near his head.

I'd be very sure the referees there all thought "no malice at all" when played at real speed and I'd actually be surprised if they didn't make sure they looked at the whole thing at real speed. Again, refereeing that at slow-mo has a knack of making all contact look worse simply as people think there's more time than there is.

I see your point but that's not for me. This is deliberate.  

I've shared the footage with a few friends who support other clubs. Some have pointed out that he turns away and stamps. 

His reaction after is telling. No remorse. No apology. No reaction. No concern at all. 

Reminds me of the stamp on Nelson's face which caused serious injury and I'm not sure if there was disfigurement.

Godfrey is a player at top level in the premier League. He could have stopped himself doing that.

It was absolutely horrific and deliberate. 

I don't think it's conclusive. 

If you watch carefully you can see he tries to pull out, and manages to take his weight out of it, which he does to an extent hence he doesn't push through and his foot doesn't keep going. You actually see him pull it out. If you are stamping with force, his weight goes through his foot and glances off onto the ground, it doesn't it stops.

Did he mean to put his foot down on the player? Not enough there for me to say so convincingly. 

As for the no apology after, sure looked a bit surprised when he did turn his head. Haven't seen the highlights so no idea what his response was immediately after. Godfrey's not been like that before, doubt he's like it now. Nothing to get hot and bothered about that's for sure.

• Like 2

“You’re talking to two of the masters of trying to make it look accidental,” Neville explained. “We think he definitely means that. However I can see why VAR have said it’s accidental, you couldn’t prove it… but as a professional you know.”

Neville has made a point here and some others have made a similar point on the forum.

It was deliberate but disguised, as a professional would, as an accident.

Obvious for me. 

Edited by Chelm Canary