Sign in to follow this  
cliffoa

why worthless still has to go

Re Worthless''s ''Roy of the Rovers'' comments about Hucks, when will managers wake up and realise that ''neat and tidy'' safety first football will never win anything, least of all the supporters?

There''s a reason Brazil have always been the best team in the world, because skill is celebrated and nurtured.  In this country it''s coached out of the players, by morons like Worthless. You see the lads coming through the academy, watch them when they''re young and they''ve got some delightful touches, but by the time they get near the first team, it''s all been coached out of them.

There''s a reason Huckerby and McVeigh are the fans favourites , because they''re our only two players who possess that little bit of magic that can unlock teams that Worthless''s brand of ''neat and tidy'' crap can never break down.  

I watch Soccer a.m. on sat mornings and the ''showboat'' section is one of the highlights, where they showcase all those sublime bits of magic from the footballing week. That''s what I go to see on a saturday, not Hughes shinning it to Etuhu, playing it back to Lemming, playing it sideways to Doc, sliding it back to Greeno, to hoof it upfield. Look at how Wigan and West Ham have played this season, attractive attacking football taking it to the opposition. Contrast that with Worthless''s cautious brand of safety first rubbish last year, which more or less doomed us to relegation from September.

I''m sure somebody will have a go at me for  criticising worthless after two back to back wins.  But let''s get a couple of things straight.  Firstly, they weren''t won by any great tactics of worthless''s. For long periods of the brighton and derby games we looked pretty clueless, and in fact 10 man brighton gave us the runaround for a lot of the second half, and it was only them chasing the game with 10 men that led to our late two-on-one breakaways and the flattering 3-0 scoreline.

Secondly, Brighton and Derby were the two poorest teams I''ve seen down here all season, so I hardly think we should get carried away.  The real test is to come against the likes of palace, stoke, preston, leeds, sheffield, preston.

The one bright spot for me on saturday, and against Brighton, was the form of huckerby. He seems back to fitness and full of confidence again, giving the fans what they want. And he was the difference between the two sides. Just like McVeigh has been in other matches. Typically, the brainless manager has now told Hucks to cut out the Roy of the Rovers stuff in case he loses the ball. Like we''re so much better when we''re playing safety-first football. I mean, that''s worked wonders all season hasn''t it. Yeah right.

When Huckerby went on his mazy run down the left, did a one-two, cut inside, dig a couple of drag backs, getting the biggest round of applause of the day, Worthless''s comments were. ''I was not happy about that. I''ve told him I don''t want to see that sort of thing again.'' Give me strength.

It''s those bits of magic that people go to see, not a machine. It wouldn''t be so bad if it was a well-oiled machine like Chelsea that ground out results. But Norwich''s machine, built around Worthless''s brand of motivation and tactics, has been running like a clapped out fiesta all season, and soon as someone does something special that makes it work better, the fool tells them to cut it out. What a jerk. When the manager comes out with comments like that it makes me feel, even if we ground out a 1-0 win in every remaining game of the season, I''d still like to see the back of him. The guy is so negative and old-fashioned in his thinking. He has to go. Roll on the March 2 meeting at St Andrew''s Hall.

"Re Worthless''s ''Roy of the Rovers'' comments about Hucks, when will managers wake up and realise that ''neat and tidy'' safety first football will never win anything, least of all the supporters? "

Isnt he only advocating "Neat and tidy" football in the last five minutes though? I cant remember the exact quote but he was full of praise for his performance in the rest of the game, clearly praising him for being a part of the victory. Just simply saying that in order to keep the lead and claim the victory it would be better to play safe football, and surely thats just common sense?

As I said elsewhere, I just dont see the need for him to go to the press about it.. Ho Hum.

I cut and paste from a previous post:

It''s nice to see your balanced view on Saturdays game. Oh no that''s right, you just found the one thing you didn''t agree with and concentrated on that. If you read his comments as a whole (which you probably did and still ignored)  you would find he was talking in the context of keeping possesion of the ball when winning. Yes it''s great to see Hucks on top form, but at the moment I''ve rather see us be professional and see out the remainder of the game with the ball. If we''re talking what if''s: If Hucks had been **ssing around and Derby would have scored I''m thinking the fact we''d won would have been forgotton and it would be Worthy being unable to control his players and his supposed tactical non-ability. Yet after 2 wins, 5 for and 0 against I see these kind of comments. Brilliant!

I have been firmly in the WO camp, but I have had a change of mind just lately and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I shall back him for the remainder of the season now. Fickle aren''t I? This also means that he has my support into the start of next season. We shall have to see how long my patience lasts into the new season, however. I may still go to the NCISA meeting at St Andrews in early March just to find out what people have to say about various issues, but I have come to the conclusion that it''s not healthy for NCFC to have this divisiveness of having opposing factions amongst the supporters.

Ciffoa,

I agree with many of your views although I would accept the fact that maybe the ''showboating'' comment from Worthy was taken a bit out of context. You are spot on with your analysis of the 3 VERY poor teams we have played in the last fortnight. We have struggled for long periods to impose ourselves on all three. Yet as the KTF brigade (and the Board) will tell you.....''look at the results''. Personally, I would sacrifice results for a total overhaul of our strategy and a clear policy of proactively developing our own young players as opposed to this constant buy, buy, loan, buy, loan, loan (oh and he comes another loan!) and playing bright, attacking football. I saw the highlights of the Colchester game yesterday, how we could do with a young manager like that!!

We have some very tricky games coming up and (although I may be proved wrong), I have seen very little recently to convince me that we can whip the likes of Palace, Leeds, United, Preston etc. etc.  

Worthy will doubtless limp on to May when I hope and pray the Board will finally wipe the 2003-2004 nostalgia from their eyes and act objectively for once. Don''t believe the tired old argument that ....''there is no-one out there who could do any better''. Just ask Watford fans!!   

Couldn''t agree with you more Yellow Rider.  You only have to look at what''s happened at newcastle. Same set of players, different team. They haven''t even appointed a new manager yet, but they''re already on a roll since Souness left. Once a manager loses it, it rarely comes back. Worthless lost it half way through last season, and all I''ve heard are hollow words since then. So on that basis, ''no-one'' might be a very shrewd replacement for him. 

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]I have been firmly in the WO camp, but I have had a change of mind just lately and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I shall back him for the remainder of the season now. Fickle aren''t I? This also means that he has my support into the start of next season. We shall have to see how long my patience lasts into the new season, however. I may still go to the NCISA meeting at St Andrews in early March just to find out what people have to say about various issues, but I have come to the conclusion that it''s not healthy for NCFC to have this divisiveness of having opposing factions amongst the supporters.[/quote]its not healthy having a board that has put their loyalty to worthy above their loyalty to ncfc & the fans.  the divisiveness amongst the fans is due to a lack of decisiveness from delia & co - make no mistake.

a slightly different perspective could well highlight the apparent insecurity that worthy has about the team when winning with only a few minutes left?

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]a slightly different perspective could well highlight the apparent insecurity that worthy has about the team when winning with only a few minutes left?[/quote]

Not for the first time Rossi - I think you''re wrong (or at least, this different perspective is).  Any repectful manager is going to feel nervous with just a one-goal advantage, no matter what team he has out there.  That''s not insecurity, it''s securing points!

Beg to differ NimChimpskee, the principles are the same whether it''s the fifth minute or the eighty fifth minute. The best form of defence is attack. And the best place to lose the ball (if there is such a thing) is in the opposition''s penalty area. It''s not like he was diddling around on the edge of our box or anything. If Hucks''s mazy run had ended in a goal the game would have been wrapped up. Isn''t that the object?  We all know what can happen when teams sit back and try to defend a lead. Worthless is the Sven of Championship football. We should have a bit more West Ham about us and try and kill games off. That''s what Hucks was trying to do.

[quote user="cliffoa"]

Re Worthless''s ''Roy of the Rovers'' comments about Hucks, when will managers wake up and realise that ''neat and tidy'' safety first football will never win anything, least of all the supporters?

[/quote]

*shrug* the Italians do it pretty well, and they dont do too shabby in the Champs League. Its fun to watch them tactically than English football which often times resembles a volleyball game. 1..2..3....hoof

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]I have been firmly in the WO camp, but I have had a change of mind just lately and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I shall back him for the remainder of the season now. Fickle aren''t I? This also means that he has my support into the start of next season. We shall have to see how long my patience lasts into the new season, however. I may still go to the NCISA meeting at St Andrews in early March just to find out what people have to say about various issues, but I have come to the conclusion that it''s not healthy for NCFC to have this divisiveness of having opposing factions amongst the supporters.[/quote]

Funny what 2 wins against poor opposition will do eh...... He is gonna be here until the end of the season however at least.... lets hope results are either magnificent - he deserves to stay or terrible - he has to go, because anything in between means he will still be here and we will do nothing next season.....

Cliff spot on , i keep on aking this question from every one ,(did no body look at his record at Blackpool ) no one has answerd  me yet .

[quote user="Russ Feld"][quote user="cliffoa"]

[/quote]

*shrug* the Italians do it pretty well, and they dont do too shabby in the Champs League. Its fun to watch them tactically than English football which often times resembles a volleyball game. 1..2..3....hoof

[/quote] absolutely Russ, just like we have seen here at carrow road for 31 matches......

that''s a very naive post cliffoa... do you remember the game last season when southampton were 1-0 up against everton and crouch went on a huckerby-style mazy run in the 90th minute... he could have taken the ball into the corner and killed the game but instead he went for glory, lost possession and the everton keeper booted it up to marcus bent who equalised.worthy''s frustration with huckerby is clear evidence that he is not tactically naive, and is focussed on results and not crowd-pleasing showboating.which is exactly as it should be...

Well, Russ, I''d have to say that I''d rather watch English football over Italian football any day of the week - far more exciting!

Take your point, Russ, but don''t think it invalidates mine.  The best italian sides like juve and inter and ac have always had some quality strikers upfront, people like Del Piero, with that bit of (dare I say it, Huck''s like) magic that can unlock the notoriously stingy eyetie defences.  Fair enough they''ve had their share of European success, but no more than Spanish or German or English clubs. Most of the other italian clubs play football like chess. Don''t know about you, but watching chess is like watching paint dry. Give me a bit of passion any day. You can''t say watching arsenal or chelsea or most of our premiership clubs (save Bolton) resembles a volleyball game. Though you can say that about Norwich, where for a large part of our season, with a non-existent midfield, our main tactic has been passing it back to Greeno to boot upfield. Which is why the fans hero-worship Hucks and Mcveigh who offer the only real alternative to route 1.