lake district canary

Where is the spark, where are the heroes?

I've seen every minute of this season so far, even managed to get to a game and I am wondering where are the heroes in the team?  Where is the spark? 

We dispatched Vrancic, who imo was woefully underused by Farke (one of my few criticisms of Farke) and sold Emi (which to be fair looked unavoidable) and we are left with players who look like journeymen, young hopefuls (that tbh, don't look that hopeful) and a striker that can't do it all on his own. No spark, very little creativity and at best a team that can grind out the occasional point/points but never look good enough to raise their game that extra bit to give us a bit of hope we can avoid relegation.

Once again today, awful in front of goal from all the strikers, little else from anywhere else in the team and frankly a bit dull to watch, lacking in inspiration and gumption. Put any of the midfielders out there in any combination and we look poor whoever is there.  Cantwell, who ought to at least be contributing is still playing catch up and imo not going to make much difference even when he does get back in - and overall, it don't look good.

I hope I'm not being negative for the sake of it, I'm one that likes to see positives if I can, but to me we don't have what it takes at the moment. Rashica and Normann can make a big difference of course, but we need Sargent and Idah to step up. We need Lees Melou to step up, we need Gilmour to make better decisions, we need Pukki to be more clinical. We need Tzolis to show some spark when selected,  we need Aarons to be a bit more effective, we need Williams and/or Giannoulis to offer more on the left.  

It's all a bit meh. 3-0 isn't a disgrace against Spurs, we had chances, but after that average performance against Newcastle, one would have hoped for more. It may improve and if fit maybe Normann can be the catalyst to make something to happen that gives us some inspiration.  We certainly need it! 

We just have a group of players that aren't good enough. It's painfully clear to see.

The recruitment in the summer has been poor. I see the reasons for this as follows:

- Recruiting very young players because they may appreciate in value and become saleable assets at some stage.

- Recruiting with limited finance.

- Recruiting from foreign leagues where players will have no experience playing in the highest quality league in the world.

- The identification of the players that have been eventually signed e.g Sargent, who looks woefully out of his depth technically. 

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I've seen every minute of this season so far, even managed to get to a game and I am wondering where are the heroes in the team?  Where is the spark? 

We dispatched Vrancic, who imo was woefully underused by Farke (one of my few criticisms of Farke) and sold Emi (which to be fair looked unavoidable) and we are left with players who look like journeymen, young hopefuls (that tbh, don't look that hopeful) and a striker that can't do it all on his own. No spark, very little creativity and at best a team that can grind out the occasional point/points but never look good enough to raise their game that extra bit to give us a bit of hope we can avoid relegation.

Once again today, awful in front of goal from all the strikers, little else from anywhere else in the team and frankly a bit dull to watch, lacking in inspiration and gumption. Put any of the midfielders out there in any combination and we look poor whoever is there.  Cantwell, who ought to at least be contributing is still playing catch up and imo not going to make much difference even when he does get back in - and overall, it don't look good.

I hope I'm not being negative for the sake of it, I'm one that likes to see positives if I can, but to me we don't have what it takes at the moment. Rashica and Normann can make a big difference of course, but we need Sargent and Idah to step up. We need Lees Melou to step up, we need Gilmour to make better decisions, we need Pukki to be more clinical. We need Tzolis to show some spark when selected,  we need Aarons to be a bit more effective, we need Williams and/or Giannoulis to offer more on the left.  

It's all a bit meh. 3-0 isn't a disgrace against Spurs, we had chances, but after that average performance against Newcastle, one would have hoped for more. It may improve and if fit maybe Normann can be the catalyst to make something to happen that gives us some inspiration.  We certainly need it! 

You could have written this any time from the Man City match onwards. We just aren’t good enough and don’t have the money to compete in this league. 

The spark was sold to Aston Villa and we purchased Rachica and Sargent with the proceeds. The defensive hero of last season was wearing white today- we didn’t replace him until too late and had no plan B for when Normann is injured. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the Championship anyway but can't see anyone getting too excited about a promotion chase again after the last couple of disasters. What is the point?

Like it or not we have owners years past their sell by date and players doing their best but showing their limitations at a higher level. The combination of the two equals mediocrity and things for the fans aren't going to change any time soon.

28 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

We just have a group of players that aren't good enough. It's painfully clear to see.

The recruitment in the summer has been poor. I see the reasons for this as follows:

- Recruiting very young players because they may appreciate in value and become saleable assets at some stage.

- Recruiting with limited finance.

- Recruiting from foreign leagues where players will have no experience playing in the highest quality league in the world.

- The identification of the players that have been eventually signed e.g Sargent, who looks woefully out of his depth technically. 

Many I fear were purchased based on computer stats and spread sheets rather than what they were seen to do with a ball on grass.

26 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I prefer the Championship anyway but can't see anyone getting too excited about a promotion chase again after the last couple of disasters. What is the point?

Like it or not we have owners years past their sell by date and players doing their best but showing their limitations at a higher level. The combination of the two equals mediocrity and things for the fans aren't going to change any time soon.

Couldn’t agree more. Our ownership model is about as up to date as a mullet haircut. 

Every time we go up It’s like entering the world Grand Prix final in a 1990s Vauxhall Astra.

Football went global a long time ago- and we are being held back. 

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Our ownership model is about as up to date as a mullet haircut. 

I’ve got some news for you as you clearly haven’t been hanging out in Dalston lately, the mullet is back with a vengeance coupled with a tache and sleeveless T-shirts.

Its gone from being ironic worn by Aussie lads in punk bands to full circle art school hipster cool now. 

So you can’t use the mullet as a whipping tool fella! 😁

39 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Weirdly I thought this earlier. I’ve had such a fantastic time the last 4 years under Farke, playing Blackburn and Preston again, being promoted again only to be the whipping boy of the Prem again fills me with about as much joy as January and February. I’m starting to not give a shiit 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Crikey Lakey, is this the most pessimistic post you've ever made on here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

I know right?! It’s uncharacteristically disconcerting that even he’s having wobbles! Shows how shiiit we are. 

Don't disagree with what you are saying although I am surprised Cantwell wasn't involved today if only to get a bit of game time.

I honestly don't think there is any belief from the players that they can stay up, not from the performance today but more from that quite dreadful display against Newcastle.

We lack spark as you say, someone to take ownership, it's not happening.

It's been a bit of a shambles on and off the pitch ever since last season ended.

24 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Smith set the team up well today, they looked well organised, it's just that there is no spark. To me they don't look as if they believe in themselves enough. Really missing Normann - but there should be others that show that kind of passion too, shouldn't just be down to him. Too many youngsters maybe and not enough older characters. Zimbo would be great in showing that kind of leadership imo. 

Hilarious that the criticism comes out after Farke has gone.... classic Lakey.

Moaning about Aarons who has been the only consistently good player in the side other than Pukki. Williams and Giannoulis also offer plenty on the left. Gilmour has arguably made all the right decisions since he’s been back in the side under Smith. 

What games are you watching mate? 

Rashica and Cantwell (either side of Pukki) are the best of the bunch we have...but approaching halfway through the season , Farke and now Smith , have played them in the same team painfully few times

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 hour ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Many I fear were purchased based on computer stats and spread sheets rather than what they were seen to do with a ball on grass.

Now, now let's have none of that criticising statistics nonsense.  😜

NCFC needs a ruthless striker and front row. Do we need to hire some of our great ex NCFC' strikers and front row men to coach our current guys? Cause at the moment, NCFC isn't scoring goals. NCFC could've won the last several games if NCFC had an in-form and front row with confidence. You'll get confidence by scoring goals and being coached by some of the best in the business to learn their tricks of the trade will give them the confidence to score the much-needed goals and points to survive.

• Haha 1

Practice taking thousands of long throws at the training ground. So when NCFC is awarded a throw-in in an area near the corner flag on match day, our player can lob the ball as far as possible towards the opposition goal, just like a corner but more accurate and use it as a killer set-piece. (try different scenarios to score goals)

As a team we must play to the whistle and not stop waiting/expecting a foul, only to lose focus/ground and opponents makeup ground and put us in danger 

• Haha 1

players should put their foot through the ball from outside the penalty box, if not a direct goal there Is a very good chance the ball ricochets into the goal

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Hilarious that the criticism comes out after Farke has gone.... classic Lakey.

Moaning about Aarons who has been the only consistently good player in the side other than Pukki. Williams and Giannoulis also offer plenty on the left. Gilmour has arguably made all the right decisions since he’s been back in the side under Smith. 

What games are you watching mate? 

I can't speak for Lakey, but I was incredibly protective of Farke given how far he had brought the club from when he came in. That forgave a multitude of sins as far as I was concerned and I was prepared to defend Webber and the board to the hilt in keeping him in post.

When Farke was sacked, that kind of changed something for me. I don't have the same loyalty to Smith. I want him to succeed of course, but I'm going to call it like it is right now, even if that means criticising the club heavily, which I generally don't do because my natural inclination is to be positive and supportive.

Because ultimately I see Farke as a fall guy. Where we are right now is down to the players not being good enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ultimately we don't have the players.

Gibson was a disastrous deal. You don't stay up with Gibson/Hanley.

To some extent (If Williams is first choice) Dimi was a disastrous deal.

Williams BTW is absolutely dreadful, every first touch is backwards or sideways, likewise his passing. It's the old Snodgrass conundrum again, right footed player, playing on the left, slowing our limited attacks down.

Feel for Gilmour a little bit, would like to see him further up the pitch.

McLean/PLM offer nothing.

Desperate stuff relying on Sargent/Idah.

Haven't given up on team including Rashica, Cantwell, Kabak, Norman.

During corners NCFC needs place a player on the D and place players on the back post, also free kicks place players on the back post

23 minutes ago, NCPFC said:

Practice taking thousands of long throws at the training ground. So when NCFC is awarded a throw-in in an area near the corner flag on match day, our player can lob the ball as far as possible towards the opposition goal, just like a corner but more accurate and use it as a killer set-piece. (try different scenarios to score goals)

Are you broken? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

I can't speak for Lakey, but I was incredibly protective of Farke given how far he had brought the club from when he came in. That forgave a multitude of sins as far as I was concerned and I was prepared to defend Webber and the board to the hilt in keeping him in post.

When Farke was sacked, that kind of changed something for me. I don't have the same loyalty to Smith. I want him to succeed of course, but I'm going to call it like it is right now, even if that means criticising the club heavily, which I generally don't do because my natural inclination is to be positive and supportive.

Because ultimately I see Farke as a fall guy. Where we are right now is down to the players not being good enough. 

Exactly this ^

Can't say I've ever really liked Webber, including the one and only time I met him briefly, but there can be no dispute that the club  has made good progress on a number of fronts during his time as DoF. So adding this to his achievements at Huddersfield  gives him an excellent CV, but this pre-season and season to date has proved that he is well past his sell by date as far as NCFC is concerned and the sooner he moves on the better.

28 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Now, now let's have none of that criticising statistics nonsense.  😜

Thought I would try living dangerously after notching up 100 posts.  🤠

17 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

The players may not be good enough for us to survive but I don’t believe we’d have took 5 points from the last 4 games under Farke personally.

Smith is working under the same conditions and he will likely fail given what he took over, but I personally think he’s doing a better job and will do a better job than Farke. Farke was a brilliant manager in the Championship but his PL record was woeful, you can’t blame that all on the squad IMO, so he’s no fall guy.

I feel your pain @lake district canary and your note about needing to be clinical is spot on. See this stat:

.... then imagine that we had scored one of those 3 very decent chances we had against Wolves we would have had an extra 2 points and had PLM scored in his one on one against Newcastle we would have yet another extra 2 points. On 14 now instead of 10. That's in just two games. Both we should have won. 

Daniel Farke was correct...it's a game of fine margins. And we are missing those margins unfortunately. At least the team can compete. Yet we need another Holt, another Earnshaw etc etc... someone who can find a way.

It's not over (yet) but we have to stay in touch with the 3 or 4 teams above. And we HAVE to start scoring. It's the only thing that is going to save us.