Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Any refs out there?

Just looking at Villas disallowed goal there, is the rule not it has to be in both hands of the keeper for it to be in his control? 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Just looking at Villas disallowed goal there, is the rule not it has to be in both hands of the keeper for it to be in his control? 

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

That's not the whole rule. Does not apply if it's come off a save from the goal keeper. They just showed the whole rule in the states

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ask Nick.

Don't know him 😁, if it's just what he thinks then it's as relevant as me thinking it has to be 2 hands 😉

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Don't know him 😁, if it's just what he thinks then it's as relevant as me thinking it has to be 2 hands 😉

Dermot Gallagher will explain it tomorrow on Sky Sorts News and it'll be on the web site.

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

Dermot Gallagher will explain it tomorrow on Sky Sorts News and it'll be on the web site.

I'm presuming I'm wrong to be honest, I can't imagine Oliver watching it again on the VAR screen and getting it so wrong. 

I wonder if it's a recent rule change though, or whether when I used to play I scored a few goals which shouldn't have stood 😂

It was 100% the right decision. End of. I think this does rather highlight that a good many supporters are pretty clueless when it comes to the actual rules of the game.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 17:35, Branston Pickle said:

It was 100% the right decision. End of. I think this does rather highlight that a good many supporters are pretty clueless when it comes to the actual rules of the game.

Well….not quite 

you can argue that schmeichel did not have control of the ball as it was in reality only his finger tips, again all down to interpretation of the laws 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Well….not quite 

you can argue that schmeichel did not have control of the ball as it was in reality only his finger tips, again all down to interpretation of the laws 

Crikey - I thought everyone had moved on…anything I’ve seen/read says it was right.

It was adequately explained yesterday by Dermot Gallagher.

The law says when the goalie was challenged, that means when the player moves towards the keeper, you can challenge a player before you make contact with the ball. 

In this case the keeper had his hand on the ball when it was on the ground when he was challenged which makes it a foul.

Nothing to do with interpretation.

On 05/12/2021 at 17:35, Branston Pickle said:

Maybe because they keep changing them every 5 minutes, this is a recent law change, 3 seasons ago that's given. 

Sorry we all can't be a footballing oracle like your good self 🤷‍♂️ *makes mental note to pounce on the next thing you're unsure about *😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

had his hand on the ball

This is where the interpretation comes in, do fingertips classify as 'hand' in regards to whether the ball was under control, or not?

VAR really falls down in areas where subjectivity exists, and should only be invoked on clear and obvious errors.  I don't know if this was so clear?  VAR deferred it back to the ref, so obviously not.

Edited by Google Bot

I think there is a legitimate question of when the ball should be deemed to be fully under control, Schmeichel barely gets his hand to it before its struck away from him. 

So are we saying that 0.1/0.2 (or however long) seconds is enough time to be in control? 

Clearly the ball is not immediately under control as soon as his hand is in contact with it, so surely there is some kind of a time threshold where it becomes secure? 

I guess that is what is causing the debate here, certainly if he'd held it for a notable amount of time (i.e. half a second) then yes he's clearly secured possession, but it all happened pretty bloody quickly!

Maybe it was the correct decision but it certainly doesn't warrant any insulting to others who don't agree...

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Maybe because they keep changing them every 5 minutes, this is a recent law change, 3 seasons ago that's given. 

Sorry we all can't be a footballing oracle like your good self 🤷‍♂️ *makes mental note to pounce on the next thing you're unsure about *😉

There’s plenty I don’t know, it wouldn’t take long! I think the problem is that to a large extent we all think of the game as it was when we first played/watched…those old ‘The Big Match’ programmes can be a bit of an eye opener - and not just the play, those pitches were terrible.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

This is where the interpretation comes in, do fingertips classify as 'hand' in regards to whether the ball was under control, or not?

VAR really falls down in areas where subjectivity exists, and should only be invoked on clear and obvious errors.  I don't know if this was so clear?  VAR deferred it back to the ref, so obviously not.

Fingers are part of the hand and therefore I would say it was within the rules to disallow. We wouldn't be pleased if the same situation happened to Krul. The rule is there partly to stop players sliding in dangerously on keepers

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

We wouldn't be pleased if the same situation happened to Krul

Because VAR would probably allow the goal if it was Kane vs Krul, that's why.  I can guarantee a decision like this will be given the other way in future, as we've seen numerous times with decisions that have gone against us this season alone.