Canary Jedi

Perspective needed

Trying to be positive here.

Before the season started most of us would have put Spurs away down as a an away defeat. So not really surprising. It’s the teams around us that we need to do well against. And anything we can get against these sorts of sides should be a bonus. Certainly we shouldn’t expect anything. Certainly we shouldn’t expect anything. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try but just being realistic.

And we did create chances today, not as much as we would have liked but certainly better than no shots on target.

Obviously the lads need to be much, much better at putting their chances away.

Also having Normann and Raschica back will help. 

Keep the faith!

• Like 1

I think we all knew we would lose today but end of the day the real issue is the match highlights how utter woeful we are up top, and it's really hammering it home that quite frankly it's another season of Rotherham away next season

It’s looking bleak at this point. We need Smith and Shakey to work a little miracle. 

We knew we needed a decent points tally by now due to another tough run of games. If we can get to January with 15 points it will be quite an achievement

I am more concerned about the second half at Newcastle than this result today. Our season will not be defined by Spurs away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jimthechip said:

I am more concerned about the second half at Newcastle than this result today. Our season will not be defined by Spurs away.

Yes agreed 8 goals at this stage is pretty dismal in all fairness.

Edited by Alex

I don't know about perspective but to see 17th position we are going to need binoculars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I don't know about perspective but to see 17th position we are going to need binoculars.

More like the Hubble Space Telescope.....

3-0 is hardly a surprise. But we can’t score. Look at Wolves and Newcastle. That should have been 6 pts. We remind me of Fulham last year. Look decent in some games but couldn’t score for toffee.

There were a number of positive aspects today - we bossed the possession and created enough to get something, pretty much being beaten by a worldie and a rather unlucky rebound; at 2-0 the game was gone.

In no way was it a bog-standard 3-0, Spurs know that even if our supporters don’t appear to.  But  God alone knows, we seem to only have one striker even vaguely capable of hitting the back of the net…some chances we are missing simply must be taken at this level. Heaven help us if Pukki gets injured.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

No Normann or Rashica again. Highly relevant to the last couple of results. Add into that the fact that Cantwell, who is a proven threat at PL level, is also not available/fit we are blunted severely.

The answer isn't with Sargent and Idah, neither are going to score 5 goals let alone 10. Sargent has his uses, Idah too, but neither are good enough currently.

It's going to be getting a spread of goals out of Rashica and Cantwell, maybe Tzolis that will save us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

Trying to be positive here.

Before the season started most of us would have put Spurs away down as a an away defeat. So not really surprising. It’s the teams around us that we need to do well against. And anything we can get against these sorts of sides should be a bonus. Certainly we shouldn’t expect anything. Certainly we shouldn’t expect anything. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try but just being realistic.

And we did create chances today, not as much as we would have liked but certainly better than no shots on target.

Obviously the lads need to be much, much better at putting their chances away.

Also having Normann and Raschica back will help. 

Keep the faith!

Ah, the old free hit.

What a tinpot mentality 

• Like 1

It has aways been the case that to survive at this level teams must be able to score goals. It doesn’t matter how tight a defence is, if you don’t score goals you’re going down. Other than Pukki we have nothing so here’s to the Championship next August.

Just now, CDMullins said:

Ah, the old free hit.

What a tinpot mentality 

No need to be rude mr Mullins! 

So you’d have put us down for a win? Good on you for being optimistic. 

You need to get the mentality of hope for the best, but prepare for the worst when it comes to away games against the big boys.

If you think we should expect victories against the big boys then I bow to your superior outlook on live but I’m afraid my friend that more often than not you’ll be disappointed with the outcome 😛

9 minutes ago, Bluefloyd said:

No Normann or Rashica again. Highly relevant to the last couple of results. Add into that the fact that Cantwell, who is a proven threat at PL level, is also not available/fit we are blunted severely.

The answer isn't with Sargent and Idah, neither are going to score 5 goals let alone 10. Sargent has his uses, Idah too, but neither are good enough currently.

It's going to be getting a spread of goals out of Rashica and Cantwell, maybe Tzolis that will save us. 

But surely this was a game to change things when we were 1-0 down. Introducing Cantwell at that point may have shaken things up. Instead we waited too long and made pedestrian substitutions which were never going to lead to goals. Idah and Sargeant seem looked in a battle to prove they are the worst front players we have put out in the premier league. Both were utterly woeful today.

The bottom line is -

We had 3 golden chances and missed them all.

Spurs had a handful of half chances, got a couple of slices of luck and scored 3.

Apart from that there wasn't an awful lot in it.

Trouble is, it's goals that win games and if we don't score we don't win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally feel more disappointed about this result than the Newcastle one.

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

I personally feel more disappointed about this result than the Newcastle one.

However we created more clear goalscoring opportunities today than against 10 men Newcastle in all reality.

Disappointing because we created enough to come away with something in reality.

Other teams have players in all positions, even CBs capable of scoring. We don't. If Teemu doesn't score then we're stuffed.

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Other teams have players in all positions, even CBs capable of scoring. We don't. If Teemu doesn't score then we're stuffed.

Exactly, Villas CB got 2 today, Sargent won't get that all season. 

I have a work colleague who is a Watford fan and he has been very fair so far this season. 

However one thing I have noticed is in their recruitment they have Brough in Dennis, who had really heard of him? Who thought in so many games he would be a catalyst or goal scorer? I do feel we are owed something from some of these new players. I do feel we are a total new team trying to find our way after promotion. I would not say it was the most slick promotion either, we weren't slick, we had a catalyst in buendia, but slick I would say no. There were times when we won games through graft, quality and taking the 1 in 3 chances we would get. In this league you have to take 2 of the 3 you get.

We have had 2 games in a row before today where we needed, in the game, to get 3 points and we need our players to up their levels.

Yes spurs away is not going to determine our season but every now a d then we need a result against a top team and we have to take those chances.

17th feels still a very long way off and personally I hope we have £ to spend as we should get a few players in who can help

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

However we created more clear goalscoring opportunities today than against 10 men Newcastle in all reality.

Disappointing because we created enough to come away with something in reality.

Exactly. We actually controlled the game in a strange way, but it underlined IMO that we haven't really improved the squad since the last Prem season.

If we are serious about staying up we need to invest in January in at least one player capable of scoring and taking the load off Pukki. Without that investment just can’t see us getting the points we need no matter how much these players improve.

What lessons have we learned from last time? We needed a strong DM and we needed a back up to Pukki. We got…. Neither! So unless something happens in January I’m going to be erring towards putting my finger up at the recruitment and asking serious questions of Webber who, so far for me, has done a great job. My worry is without him we have Adams. And then it really starts to feel like a despotic tinpot club. 

43 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

The bottom line is -

We had 3 golden chances and missed them all.

Spurs had a handful of half chances, got a couple of slices of luck and scored 3.

Apart from that there wasn't an awful lot in it.

Trouble is, it's goals that win games and if we don't score we don't win.

You should have made this a thread.the bottom line is.

Spot on. In all you say. The f__kg meltdown here is unreal. Why did we sign him why not him oh we miss him ffs get a grip of your minds so.e of you on here. He's shi--t 

Oh but he was good last game. Wt f so much utter bu-'zsit spouted. Aaaaaaggh numties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I think we all knew we would lose today but end of the day the real issue is the match highlights how utter woeful we are up top, and it's really hammering it home that quite frankly it's another season of Rotherham away next season

Spurs are one of those sides in a different hemisphere to us and even they aren't anywhere near the top 3. 

Spurs have real quality up front they think quickly and move the ball quickly. It's like comparing quick hungry Lions to slow fat Buffalo.

It's not nice to lose but Tottenham should be ripping us a new one. We need points against those outside the top 6 which to be fair to DS we look capable of doing.

Watford, Leeds and Leicester at home is hurting us.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nice little ground Rotherham 

• Like 1

Compared to where we were 5 games ago, things do not look as bleak as they did. We are within touching distance of safety and with you being able to throw a blanket over the bottom half of the table, 3 good results from sitting 13th or 14th.

Now do I think we will be mid-table come the end of December? Probably not, but the team look to have far more belief that they can compete at this level. For large portions of today, we caused Spurs a lot of problems. We just need to be more clinical in front of goal. All easier said than done I know, but I feel more optimistic than I did 8 weeks ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

What lessons have we learned from last time? We needed a strong DM and we needed a back up to Pukki. We got…. Neither! So unless something happens in January I’m going to be erring towards putting my finger up at the recruitment and asking serious questions of Webber who, so far for me, has done a great job. My worry is without him we have Adams. And then it really starts to feel like a despotic tinpot club. 

We got a decent amount of mileage on Grabban, who we signed, then sold for profit. Jerome, who got us promoted and a few others we signed from Adams' time as manager. Not all were fantastic, but then he's also been loans manager. At the end of the day, what feels "tin pot" is down to you, not anyone else. All we should care about is if it works.

Normann is a decent DM, we've seen that in the games under Smith, though he's now injured. We did need back up to Pukki, but if you have less than £20m, realistically it's a hit and hope. Like Drmic on a free. The biggest hurdle for Sargent is being so young and the majority of his experience so far being in Germany. We've had a number of players come over from the German leagues in recent years and very few, if any, have won the fans over in their first season.