cambridgeshire canary

Can we get a refund for Sargent?

19 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If Ricky had been signed under Farke he would have scored lots of goals- he was playing in the wrong tactic and formation - was actually a Pukki type player. 

I agree

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Whether Sargent is better or worse than RvW is neither here nor there. 

Webber has criticised the club in the past for pissing money up the wall, and on his watch Sargent becomes yet another example.

I suspect that he must be incredibly disappointed how Josh has turned out, so far. 

Sargent is clearly plan C after we missed out on the likes of Adam Armstrong sadly. That's the problem when trying to buy a prem level striker for less than £10m.

I think we should have chucked good money at getting Nketiah on loan but maybe Arsenal thought they were going to use him more than they have

1 hour ago, graz said:

Meanwhile Super Mario finishes superbly for Stoke. If what we wanted was a goal scoring midfielder (because let's face it Sargent isn't a striker) I still think he would have done a better job.

Problem is everything is in hindsight is’nt it - we knew the qualities of Vrancic which are perfect for the Championship but if we had kept him and he did not cut the cloth then everyone would have been slagging him off saying why did we not get rid 

16 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Some revisionism going on here with RVW. At that time in my life I was able to watch every game that season and I remember pretty clearly exactly how poor he was. 

He was playing in a Hughton team that was never set up to get the most out of him. 

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Sargent is clearly plan C after we missed out on the likes of Adam Armstrong sadly. That's the problem when trying to buy a prem level striker for less than £10m.

I think we should have chucked good money at getting Nketiah on loan but maybe Arsenal thought they were going to use him more than they have

Couldn't we let Gilmour go and try for someone like Nketiah for 2nd half. Arsenal might fancy it as it'll give him game time at this level.  

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

If the rumours are true (big if), Josh King was the top target for that "wide forward" position

15 minutes ago, kirku said:

He was playing in a Hughton team that was never set up to get the most out of him. 

That's true and was a factor but that doesn't change the fact he fluffed every chance he did get. I think because he's a nice guy, never downed tools, went out on loan instead of rinsing the club for wages and then got struck with a serious illness that people are remembering him in a bit more of a favorable light. I still remember all the tame, slow, toe punted shots straight at the goalkeeper, him tripping over low crosses from 6 yards out, shanking shots into row z and him losing his sense of position and turning and shooting blindly when he was wide of the goal. 

I'm only bringing this up because people are calling Sargent worse than him and for my money that's just not true. If we're going to compare Sargent to anyone from that season it should be Johan Elmander

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Couldn't we let Gilmour go and try for someone like Nketiah for 2nd half. Arsenal might fancy it as it'll give him game time at this level.  

they're selling him I think or he's off for free in summer. He wants to leave to get 1st team football. Probs cost £20m and £80k a week wages no doubt. Back to our underlying problem...

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Funny old thing the football supporter, Villa want their money back for Buendia.

old news, he was good again today

1 hour ago, kirku said:

If the rumours are true (big if), Josh King was the top target for that "wide forward" position

yeah, I wasn't a fan at the time due to his injury/fitness issues from his time at Everton but he does look good for Watford

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm only bringing this up because people are calling Sargent worse than him and for my money that's just not true. If we're going to compare Sargent to anyone from that season it should be Johan Elmander

Good shout - Elmander was legitimately good though. Just about two or three years before he joined us..

49 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Funny old thing the football supporter, Villa want their money back for Buendia.

Not today though. 

Blown away today by some his trickery, long may it continue. Well played Emi 👏

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean what on Earth did Webber see him in? Got all the skills and first touch abilities of a drunk giraffe

Webber could try here but you know you'll get offered fcuk all6cf38cda-a225-4c9b-8d85-e689b98a5a33_image_jpeg.thumb.jpg.d99237737d7e8dfe696f50fa2bbb6b81.jpg

Edited by Mullet

7 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'd happily take the £8million loss right now. 

Perhaps we can put him to work in a car wash until he has repaid his debt?

Little boy helping wash his father's car. Adorable red-haired child helping  wash the tires on his father's car. | CanStock

I Love Redheads on Twitter: "Did you miss our redhead car wash ;) All  Bowkinis on sale now at http://t.co/wGyUXGEtaF! #redhead #ginger #bikini  http://t.co/7Y3chhs5b2" / Twitter

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Perhaps we can put him to work in a car wash until he has repaid his debt?

Little boy helping wash his father's car. Adorable red-haired child helping  wash the tires on his father's car. | CanStock

I Love Redheads on Twitter: "Did you miss our redhead car wash ;) All  Bowkinis on sale now at http://t.co/wGyUXGEtaF! #redhead #ginger #bikini  http://t.co/7Y3chhs5b2" / Twitter

He wouldn't even score there

• Haha 1

Finally seen Sargent’s miss after turning the match over to the United game when the 3rd went in. Wasn't as amusing as I thought it would be, don't get me wrong it was dreadful but nowhere near as calamitous as some were making out. 

I'm actually saddened at so much negativity towards one player. Bad miss. Definitely. But Pukki had two bad misses (and while we're on that..the Idah 'miss' was from a far easier chance for Pukki that he completely mi****!)

Folk on here are mentioning Nketiah instead. Well he just missed an open goal header from 2 yards out tonight. A far worse miss. Is he now the worst player ever to play for Arsenal!

I'm usually pint half empty but even I'm finding the negativity (including an entire Pink Un podcast on him) way over the top. Even if he'd scored on Saturday it would have made no difference to the outcome!

This guy is 21 was bought "for the future" has played 6 hours of football in England and is now the worst player ever!

People have short memories. Norwich have had far worse players that played years for the club and weren't ostracized.

• Like 2

Agree he’s a young player, not the finished article etc etc - problem is twofold. He seems to lack some very basic skills - the ability to trap the ball, pass the ball and/or send it vaguely in the direction of goal. Accepting he’s one for the future I just can’t see what the club thought was worth his fee......and of course we don’t have time in the PL to train up players in the heat of battle. We just need a bit of experience on loan in Jan........

On 05/12/2021 at 17:11, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Some revisionism going on here with RVW. At that time in my life I was able to watch every game that season and I remember pretty clearly exactly how poor he was. He was screwing up chances and shanking the ball high and wide just as much as Sargent, he couldn't pass the ball or control it, couldn't run with it, couldn't hold onto it, he had nothing except his ability to find space and a decent header. You guys are thinking of the RVW highlights reel that showed him scoring in defensively weak leagues for relatively good teams...and again the key word is highlights, the RVW that played for us was just as poor with the ball as Sargent 

That is just not true. He barely had the ball 

What on earth are you talking about.

In answer to the original question - no, we're stuck with him. What's more, we'll continue to play him in order to 'give him time' because permanently dropping him would be like announcing that Webber, with his stats obsession, has wasted 8m on a player who can't trap a ball, control a ball, pass a ball, or dribble with a ball, and seems to have problems even sorting out his own two feet.

Yes, he runs around a lot and tries hard, and he also seems to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time. However, regarding the first quality, we could have got that by spending 1.5m on a promising youngster from L1 or L2. Regarding the second, what's the point of being in the right place at the right time if you invariably screw up your shot?

On 05/12/2021 at 16:57, Monty13 said:

He’s 21 years old. We didn’t spend the money on a 30 year old finished article, we bought an unfinished junior with, high work rate, good attributes and a lot of potential.

If Sargent was 30 with his record he’d probably be worth a third or less of his fee. Norwich buy very rough unfinished articles hoping to get a gem. He’s never been a prolific goal scorer at even close to the highest level, that’s what we bought.

Blame the recruitment team if you like but that’s clearly their brief when you look at Tzolis and Sargent and then previous buys like Placheta.

All this grief directed at a 21 year old doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not his fault he lacks the quality, we knew exactly what we were buying.

This. All those slagging him off on here are the same ones who thought he was great against Southampton when he turned the game. Every professional footballer is a professional footballer because they have some talent. You can't get a contract at Bremen or Norwich or even Ipswich without knowing what to do. Sargent may be a footballer in a bad place at the moment, just like RVW was while he was here, but there is a player in there - he has already proved that. He's not a striker good enough for the PL - maybe he never will be - but his game isn't just about scoring goals.

As you say, he's 21. I think he'll do brilliantly in the Championship personally and so will Tzolis.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

This. All those slagging him off on here are the same ones who thought he was great against Southampton when he turned the game. Every professional footballer is a professional footballer because they have some talent. You can't get a contract at Bremen or Norwich or even Ipswich without knowing what to do. Sargent may be a footballer in a bad place at the moment, just like RVW was while he was here, but there is a player in there - he has already proved that. He's not a striker good enough for the PL - maybe he never will be - but his game isn't just about scoring goals.

As you say, he's 21. I think he'll do brilliantly in the Championship personally and so will Tzolis.

Yep, Sargent would work very well in the Championship in my opinion. Dike did well for Barnsley, although he's more of an out-and-out forward than Sargent, but his work rate, size, strength and no little speed would worry Championship defences all day long.

I think Sargent's suffering from trying/wanting it too much, and he's tensing up. In fact, I think Placheta's got the same problem.

• Like 1

Webber can think all he likes. Smith picks the ream so if he doesnt think Sargent is good enough he wont play him

Once Rashica and Cantwell are fit, id struggle to see Sargent getting much game time from bench, and Idah holds the ball up better, for all Sargents effort

I am very disappointed in him but I think the criticism of him is a bit harsh. If we take away the euphoria of the last couple of weeks, we have still looked a very ordinary team at this level. And don't forget, we bought Sargent on the back of a very ordinary to poor scoring record.

Of course goals win matches and the misses he has made were crucial. But so were Pukki's on Sunday. But on the other hand Teemu is up for Player of the Month. I thought Sargent was very good against the Saints and his contribution of energy and directness was what was needed. But that was as an impact player.

But we are trying to back up Teemu with young Adam who looks busy and physical but raw. And if Teemu gets injured then Idah and Sargent looks woefully short on threat.

DS is obviously not super glued with setups or playing possession football. He is obviously trying to find winning football. And scoring goals is the answer. So while Sargent is an willing runner and makes defenders work hard, he isn't going to get us the goals we need.

But prolific strikers at this level cost more than the £49M we spent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am very disappointed in him but I think the criticism of him is a bit harsh. If we take away the euphoria of the last couple of weeks, we have still looked a very ordinary team at this level. And don't forget, we bought Sargent on the back of a very ordinary to poor scoring record.

Of course goals win matches and the misses he has made were crucial. But so were Pukki's on Sunday. But on the other hand Teemu is up for Player of the Month. I thought Sargent was very good against the Saints and his contribution of energy and directness was what was needed. But that was as an impact player.

But we are trying to back up Teemu with young Adam who looks busy and physical but raw. And if Teemu gets injured then Idah and Sargent looks woefully short on threat.

DS is obviously not super glued with setups or playing possession football. He is obviously trying to find winning football. And scoring goals is the answer. So while Sargent is an willing runner and makes defenders work hard, he isn't going to get us the goals we need.

But prolific strikers at this level cost more than the £49M we spent.

It’s not just strikers where the goals need to come from. None are coming from the midfield. We sold our most creative player and bought two others, 1 who is now injured and 1 who is raw. If we saw some goals come from mid there wouldn’t be as much pressure on the strikers which is ultimately killing their confidence.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think Sargent's suffering from trying/wanting it too much, and he's tensing up. In fact, I think Placheta's got the same problem.

I agree with this. What will be interesting to me will be to see if he can add composure in front of goal to his hustling ability, which has been good for us in several games. Can you learn composure? Yes, imo you can - it is a skill that can be learned with the right kind of mental coaching.  We can all imagine freezing in front of goal - what happens is the desire to score gets too strong and takes over from the actuality of making it happen.

Forgetting the enormity of those goal scoring situations is what is needed - just being in the moment and letting your natural ability guide you through.  When a striker is off form, they think too much, which is what happens to Sargent imo. Just relax and trust your ability - easy to say of course, but that is the answer.

• Like 1