cambridgeshire canary

Can we get a refund for Sargent?

I mean what on Earth did Webber see him in? Got all the skills and first touch abilities of a drunk giraffe

EDIT: Humble pie is tasty 🥧

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Yet people on here saw all the good things he done last season.

Clearly out of his depth and won't be any better in the Championship.

Meanwhile Super Mario finishes superbly for Stoke. If what we wanted was a goal scoring midfielder (because let's face it Sargent isn't a striker) I still think he would have done a better job.

6 minutes ago, graz said:

Meanwhile Super Mario finishes superbly for Stoke. If what we wanted was a goal scoring midfielder (because let's face it Sargent isn't a striker) I still think he would have done a better job.

Yes, Vrancic and Sargent are very similar players. Perfect comparison.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, graz said:

And the assist for their 1st goal

Just now, Don’t be Krul said:

And the assist for their 1st goal

Our squad is littered with players who are too good for the championship but not good enough for the prem.

What Vrancic does today, or this season, is entirely irrelevant.

Our midfield has been much maligned for not being physical enough, how on earth is putting Vrancic in there going to improve things? Cuckoo land

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kirku said:

Our squad is littered with players who are too good for the championship but not good enough for the prem.

What Vrancic does today, or this season, is entirely irrelevant.

Our midfield has been much maligned for not being physical enough, how on earth is putting Vrancic in there going to improve things? Cuckoo land

Whoa there and get off your soapbox. All I did was point out his assist

He’s 21 years old. We didn’t spend the money on a 30 year old finished article, we bought an unfinished junior with, high work rate, good attributes and a lot of potential.

If Sargent was 30 with his record he’d probably be worth a third or less of his fee. Norwich buy very rough unfinished articles hoping to get a gem. He’s never been a prolific goal scorer at even close to the highest level, that’s what we bought.

Blame the recruitment team if you like but that’s clearly their brief when you look at Tzolis and Sargent and then previous buys like Placheta.

All this grief directed at a 21 year old doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not his fault he lacks the quality, we knew exactly what we were buying.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Whoa there and get off your soapbox. All I did was point out his assist

I've seen 4-5 posts making a direct comparison between how Vrancic played today against QPR and our current squad, and yours was the one I quoted - so it was aimed at that lazy narrative rather than your post in particular

RVW was still worse, as bad technically and an equally poor finisher with his feet, didn't have the workrate and cost us more with inflation. 

A poor signing sure, but not the worst example of us p155ing money up the wall

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

RVW was still worse, as bad technically and an equally poor finisher with his feet, didn't have the workrate and cost us more with inflation. 

At least Ricky scored

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

RvW was significantly better technically and was a much better finisher - but he was also much further on in his development when he joined us.

Just now, kirku said:

RvW was significantly better technically and was a much better finisher - but he was also much further on in his development when he joined us.

If Ricky had been signed under Farke he would have scored lots of goals- he was playing in the wrong tactic and formation - was actually a Pukki type player. 

• Like 1

Some revisionism going on here with RVW. At that time in my life I was able to watch every game that season and I remember pretty clearly exactly how poor he was. He was screwing up chances and shanking the ball high and wide just as much as Sargent, he couldn't pass the ball or control it, couldn't run with it, couldn't hold onto it, he had nothing except his ability to find space and a decent header. You guys are thinking of the RVW highlights reel that showed him scoring in defensively weak leagues for relatively good teams...and again the key word is highlights, the RVW that played for us was just as poor with the ball as Sargent 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 2

Whether Sargent is better or worse than RvW is neither here nor there. 

Webber has criticised the club in the past for pissing money up the wall, and on his watch Sargent becomes yet another example.

I suspect that he must be incredibly disappointed how Josh has turned out, so far. 

• Like 1