chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Spurs (PL) *****

55 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Someone commented on a Sargant video compilation that he is totally one-footed. That was a very good call and you have to wonder what the scouts saw that encouraged them to sign him

No it wasn’t a good call. Sargent is actually no-footed.

2 hours ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

I suppose if Pukki had placed the ball closer to Sargent where he was anticipating rather than away from him we might have had an attempt on goal rather than another stick to beat Sargent with.

So it's Pukki's fault for making a pass that expected a 8m pound player to slightly adjust his feet? 

5 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Not clinical in front of goal. Thats obviously true this game but of many others. It will sink us this season if not sorted.

Idah and Sargent really have had too many opportities - neither at present PL quality.

Gilmour looks good going forward with time and space but not a CDM.

Williams did well but not enough from Max.

5 hours ago, Mengo said:

The front line today had really good chances to score and failed. Its not the first game this has happened. Grim viewing upfront end of.

NCFC needs a ruthless striker and front row. Do we need to hire some of our great ex NCFC' strikers and front row men to coach our current guys? Cause at the moment, NCFC isn't scoring goals. NCFC could've won the last several games if NCFC had an in-form and front row with confidence. You'll get confidence by scoring goals and being coached by some of the best in the business to learn their tricks of the trade will give them the confidence to score the much-needed goals and points to survive.

Edited by NCPFC

Today is summed up by substituting Idah (who isn’t good enough) with Sargent (who isn’t good enough).

Strength in depth , and a product of not having enough money to compete. 

Each year we come up we convince ourselves it will be different .

In fact , the increasing standard of the Prem leaves us further behind .   

Smith will be scratching his head tonight . 

5 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Someone commented on a Sargant video compilation that he is totally one-footed. That was a very good call and you have to wonder what the scouts saw that encouraged them to sign him

That was me, and he's even more one-footed than I thought.

5 hours ago, chicken said:

It wasn't a "good call"

The old adage is that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

You seem to be very much caught in two minds here chicken about whether I was right or not, I know its difficult for you to accept that I'm right again (try specsavers).

2 hours ago, NCPFC said:

NCFC needs a ruthless striker and front row. Do we need to hire some of our great ex NCFC' strikers and front row men to coach our current guys? Cause at the moment, NCFC isn't scoring goals. NCFC could've won the last several games if NCFC had an in-form and front row with confidence. You'll get confidence by scoring goals and being coached by some of the best in the business to learn their tricks of the trade will give them the confidence to score the much-needed goals and points to survive.

You can't polish a turd.

You get managers who have a track record of improving players, but none of them are miracle workers. 

Honestly, I'm not going to join the dismissing Sargent bandwagon, because I do believe there is an effective footballer in there somewhere.

One who plays pretty football, definitely not, but effective in a kinda bundles the ball into the net off the inside of his shin kind of way, probably.

I also think there's a slim chance he is going to make it into being that type of player without a lot of luck.

As for why we bought him and not an out and out striker in the Pukki mold. Tactically, I get it. A big player who could match up on fullbacks, put them under pressure and do it consistently with his constant running. That's what he did two weeks ago to great effect, since then he has failed to do even the basics that are needed to fulfil that role. 

He's not looking a good buy as it stands, however I have seen too many messiahs after 8 games fade and too many written off in the same period as rubbish who later came good to completely dismiss a player.

Also can we give the ginger thing a rest now, it's not like I find it offensive, it's just a bit 'least intelligent of the school bullies'. 

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 07:37, 1902 said:

Honestly, I'm not going to join the dismissing Sargent bandwagon, because I do believe there is an effective footballer in there somewhere.

One who plays pretty football, definitely not, but effective in a kinda bundles the ball into the net off the inside of his shin kind of way, probably.

I also think there's a slim chance he is going to make it into being that type of player without a lot of luck.

As for why we bought him and not an out and out striker in the Pukki mold. Tactically, I get it. A big player who could match up on fullbacks, put them under pressure and do it consistently with his constant running. That's what he did two weeks ago to great effect, since then he has failed to do even the basics that are needed to fulfil that role. 

He's not looking a good buy as it stands, however I have seen too many messiahs after 8 games fade and too many written off in the same period as rubbish who later came good to completely dismiss a player.

Also can we give the ginger thing a rest now, it's not like I find it offensive, it's just a bit 'least intelligent of the school bullies'. 

Worth noting that we have done very well off the back of players other teams wrote off at aged around 21 or later. Pukki and Holt are good examples. Having to drop to much lower standards. Morison was at Bishop's Stortford at 23, Stevenage at 26... mainly played back up to Holt but still managed to chip in with 9 league goals one premier league season. I still have faith, he does a lot of things right, his movement is pretty decent too. 

I'm just going to add here too, that it has nothing to do with being one or two footed. That's a pretty daft point to make as things stand. It'd be like saying a defender can't defend because they are too one footed... Hell, even saying he can't head would miss the point.

Finishing is the issue, does pretty well up to that point. I feel a lot is down to confidence, and perhaps some eagerness to show he can do it. Trying too hard. Farke said the same of Placheta last season and you could see it. He put so much power, thought and energy into strikes it often went wrong. In my experience it's being able to striker a ball without much thought, with confidence and knowing. I don't see a lot of that from players at the moment. More of it since the arrival of Smith, but you can see them overthinking it.

Edited by chicken