Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Spurs don't scare me ....

..... on tonight's performance.  Not convincing at all, Brentford now performing as we expected.  Is Son's injury enough to keep him out on Sunday?  

15 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

..... on tonight's performance.  Not convincing at all, Brentford now performing as we expected.  Is Son's injury enough to keep him out on Sunday?  

Did you see their second goal? The pace of the attack was crazy, can't see Hanley and Gibson dealing with that too well unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Satriales said:

Did you see their second goal? The pace of the attack was crazy, can't see Hanley and Gibson dealing with that too well unfortunately.

Andy and Gibson however…

Just now, Danke bitte said:

Andy and Gibson however…

That would be great but Smith seems old school, prefers Hanley.

6 minutes ago, Satriales said:

That would be great but Smith seems old school, prefers Hanley.

Smith is like a packet of Smith’s (see what I did?!) salt n shake, you never know what you’re going to get. Salty crisps or a plain taste of potato desert? The only person that knows is Craig Shakespeare and potentially @Disco Dales Jockstrap but that’s another story for another day… 

Hanley and Gibson are too slow as a pair at this level and always 'have a mistake in them'.  Yes they are vastly experienced and great professionals but, for me, AO is the best centre half we have on the books by a country mile. I would be doing everything I could to get him in the team.

36 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Well this is Glenn Murray's summary...

It was a very professional performance from Spurs and they never really got out of second gear.

Brentford lacked a cutting edge going forward.

Now where have we heard that before about 'lacking a cutting edge', let me think............

We did alright against them in 19-20. Draw at home with that ridiculous Pukki VAR call. Narrow defeat away in the league and that wonderful win on pens in the cup. 

We should be hopeful of giving them a really good game on Sunday, especially with the two days' extra recovery. Good test of whether Smith can be an improvement on DF in terms of competing with top-half teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Hanley and Gibson are too slow as a pair at this level and always 'have a mistake in them'.  Yes they are vastly experienced and great professionals but, for me, AO is the best centre half we have on the books by a country mile. I would be doing everything I could to get him in the team.

It would be great if Omobamidele was as good as most posters seem to think he is, but I can’t help but suspect at least a touch of Becchio syndrome. You’re only as good as your last mistake, and as soon as he makes a couple, this place will turn and we will be full of posts saying “we should stick with experienced heads”.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It would be great if Omobamidele was as good as most posters seem to think he is, but I can’t help but suspect at least a touch of Becchio syndrome. You’re only as good as your last mistake, and as soon as he makes a couple, this place will turn and we will be full of posts saying “we should stick with experienced heads”.

Hahah! That’s the mentality for almost all our players! It’s a madhouse when we lose and the ire is mostly aimed at McLean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We did alright against them in 19-20. Draw at home with that ridiculous Pukki VAR call. Narrow defeat away in the league and that wonderful win on pens in the cup. 

We should be hopeful of giving them a really good game on Sunday, especially with the two days' extra recovery. Good test of whether Smith can be an improvement on DF in terms of competing with top-half teams.

Wolves🤫

• Like 1

Their pace certainly concerns me with our two very leggy centre halves but they've done the job the past 3 games so let them continue

All of the next 6 games are incredibly tough for different reasons, we have to get points from Villa and Arsenal at home because I can't see us getting anything from the other 4. Spurs away is extremely difficult, Man Utd are an unknown quantity at the moment but you have to think they'll improve and we always struggle away at Palace and West Ham because of how they play and how big and fast they are. 

If we can get 4 points from the next 6 games I will be over the moon but I'm expecting 2. 

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

All this about Hanley being slow isn’t correct, I think the club have said he’s the quickest defender we’ve got

Exactly. If people are worried about the pace in Spurs' team, Hanley is easily the quickest defender on our books. 

However, whilst he's quick in the legs he's a little slow in the mind for this level.

But I expect Smith to stick with the same pairing. 

Can't see any changes to the back four. The protection they get from the midfield will be key, and if Normann doesn't play it will be very tough.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

All this about Hanley being slow isn’t correct, I think the club have said he’s the quickest defender we’ve got

I think he's one of our quickest players full stop actually, wasn't there something last season about only Aarons and Placheta were quicker in a sprint or something? Might be different now we've got some newbies 

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

This doesn’t mean he isn’t slow……..maybe he is but just not as slow as the others 😉

He's not slow in a straight line, just in the head and turning.

Pukki is certainly a cleverer player than their makeshift CBs Dier & Davies. Skipp played well last night. Emerson Royal looked average at best. Son could really tie us in knots without Normann. Basically they don't carry any more threat than any of the other top 10 teams but look like they are more fragile defensively once the midfield has been bypassed. 

It's really a game to go 3-5-2, even if Sargent/Idah is only used to hold and flick on.