TeemuVanBasten

Did anybody from your school make it pro?

Went to school with a lad who was a proper arrogant **** and thought he was amazing. He had a pro career at championship level and below (Mark Little).

Paston Grammar School with Clive Baker, NCFC and Barnsely. We also briefly worked together on the same Saturday job when he was thirteen but he left for footie as Sheringham goalie when he was fourteen or thereabouts.

I played in the same side as ex Cardiff + Palace midfielder Stuart O'Keefe for a while

He was alright.

3 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Danny mills was in my boss class. He was arogant then despite not even being the best in the school team!

I worked with someone who coached him in the youth team he played for before Norwich took him on. He said the same thing - not the most talented footballer but he had that streak of arrogance and was prepared to work hard. Apparently one of the hardest working in training even from that age. 

A few, which is surprising as our school was quite small and not particularly sport heavy.

Matt Dixon:
https://prideofanglia.com/tmwmtt/details.php?id=1815
Was a very handy footballer and not too arrogant, but he didn't get picked up in an academy until he was 16. I think if it had been a bit earlier he could have reached a better level. Still, he's had a good go at it at a more local level. Sorry for a link like that but best one I could find on him.

Ben Devlin:
https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/ben-devlin/
Not got great knowledge on racing so don't ask me about how high a level these are in the grand scheme of things. Can't really comment on what he was like at school in terms of that sport... I can say he thought he was great at football as well, he was better than 60-70% of the other kids maybe. Bearing in mind Rugby was more popular.

Rodolfo Gonzalez:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodolfo_González
Probably the highest level sportsperson I think I went to school with. He made it as high up as a formula 1 test driver. Even at school he was a great lad, a few years below me but he always had time for people. I still have the odd convo with him from time to time and he is still a very humble, very nice chap.

Simon Dawson:
https://dawsonracing.com/simon-dawson/
Simon was best mates with Matt Dixon at school, was a tennis pro for a while and then involved in racing.

Edited by chicken

Use to play football with Liam Chilvers over the park near mine over the summer most weeks. He was a funny bloke. 

Not really that famous but he had an ok career. 

He broke his collar bone while playing football at school. Was on arsenal's books at the time in his youth career.  some Arsenal representatives turned up at the school asking what happened. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

Used to play against Barrie Fairbrother, Leyton Orient player who was briefly famous for scoring the winner against Chelsea in the FA cup (1972). He was rubbish. Had one idea, which was to push & run as fast as he could diagonally across the pitch. Once you realised that timing a tackle was easy.

Had some good rugby players who played for England schoolboys (one was captain I think).

I used to train with a lad who held the junior discus title for a while (199' 10"). He came back from a summer training camp talking about this ridiculous shot-putter with arms like tree trunks & no technique hurling things astonishing distances. He thought his name was Geoff something - Geoff Capes, that was it.

No. However, a school in my area (South west London) has a signed Norwich shirt framed in front of their gym because Cameron McGeehan went there. I suppose he was at Norwich when he revisited.

I played youth football with goalkeeper Mark Tyler who whilst not making the grade here went on to have a great career with Peterborough and Luton, and also became world class on one of the versions of Football Manager 😁

4 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

There was a couple of lads at my Primary School by the name of Fashanu who were good for their age, but I don't know what happened to them.

Now you got me wondering who you may be THB, as same with me. I was in same team with John at Middle School, we were the two up front.  I scored a few tap ins, only because John felt he needed to share the goals around a bit! 😆 

15 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Terry alcocks wife was a PE teacher at our school 

If “Terry Alcock’s Wife” weren’t played by John Peel on Radio 1 in the late 70s/early 80s then they should have been.

“It fades in”. ♥️

Edited by Nuff Said

Chris and John Sutton were both at my first and middle school (Chris before my time; John a few years above) 

Mike Sutton was my PE teacher at high school 

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

Terry alcocks wife was a PE teacher at our school 

One of his sons has long owned a newsagents on Heigham Street, very nice guy and good with helping the old folks locally. 

Not a million miles away from where Alan Taylor had his own newsagents on Dereham Road! 

A few years in front of me but Brian Hooper  a former British Olympic pole vaulter, athletics coach and winner of the 1982 World Superstars Championship he was a nice guy even at that age 

I played in the same team as James Scowcroft. I know he had Ipswich connections but I was with him a number of years and honestly, he was a goal scorer. We won the national smiths crisp cup with him when I was about 12. He was from Stanton and I was from Barrow (Suffolk). 
I also played in a team with Darren Eddie and scored from a corner he delivered…..I knew nothing about it!! 

Anyone that attended Hellesdon High has the Suttons on their alumni. Mike was head of PE and both Chris and John attended. I figure that’s fairly common knowledge.

Accomplished cricketers too. Had the opportunity to bowl against two of the three. 

How's it going Duncan?

Always enjoyed playing cricket with the Suttons.

Mike was a lovely guy and played a few times with him at Drayton.

I was never much of a footballer, but one day I did a blatant dive during one of Mike's PE lessons.

He looked at me in disgust and said, "Get the hell up Slattery, that's bloody disgusting!"

Never dared to take the plunge again.

• Haha 2

Tim Bresnan, England cricketer.

Half of the Castleford Tigers Rugby League squad/academy usually come from my school.

Football wise, apart from a very good friend of mine who got released from Grimsby at 18 having played lots of reserve football, I may have been the next closest.

I was released from Halifax Town, (when they were in the football league) at the pro forms or back to Asda stage.

I was sure I'd got a contract, we were 3-2 down to Darlington away in the final game of the season, when I came off the bench and set up the equaliser.

I'd always errrrr borrowed a pair of shorts from the clubs I'd been at (Leeds Utd, Coventry, York and Halifax) but I was so sure I'd got a contract I didn't take any, thinking I'd be back.

The worst thing about the day was sharing a long journey back with a team mate and friend who had been offered a contract and going to play a second game for our Sunday team the same afternoon.

Was at college at the same time as Mark Shail, who went on to play for Bristol City. He was a unit, fast, strong and no little skill. 

11 hours ago, vlad666 said:

Yes mate. Lynn grove was the high school. 

Thought it must be, my step-brothers went to Lynn Grove.

Sammy's sister, Margaret, was in my class at Oriel.

• Like 1

Paul 'Clanger' Clayton. 

My daughter's boyfriend was in the same school side as Angus Gunn, and he played in goal, as Angus was not allowed to (by Norwich, fearing injury). Angus played outfield and still tore it up. So, my daughter's boyfriend's claim to fame is that he 'kept' Gunn out of the School side .

• Like 1