TeemuVanBasten

Did anybody from your school make it pro?

In football? Or other sports?

And was it a surprise? 

There were a few at my school who came very close in football, one who played a season or two at a just about pro level and got himself a wikipedia entry...

.. but my school must have a terrible record for football, as I can't think of anybody at all that had a proper career in pro sports.

The one who played a season or two though, I do sometimes look at him and wonder what the difference was between him and Gary Doherty or Michael Nelson, and it must have been mental or something else he did wrong because I doubt it was technical or physical. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

A family friend who I went to primary school with got a pro-contract with Peterborough and played for England U18s. Had a ridiculous left foot and was so much better than everyone else when we were kids.

Joe Lewis was in my year at High School, nice guy and relatively quiet. I know he never made it at Norwich but he's racked up 500+ pro appearances now.

Edited by king canary

Just now, Pete Raven said:

Ralph Hunt's widow was my PE teacher at middle school.

Does that explain why you ended up in a very sedentary occupation notorious for encouraging an unfit lifestyle?🤓

• Haha 1

Alleynes was a grammar played rugby, but adjacent school Barclay produced one Jason Shackell.  About 40 years after I left school.  Does this count?

Nope - looked up my school in Wikipedia and ‘Noted Alumni’ - just a Cricketer. 

In my year two lads were trialled variously for Brighton, Fulham, Palace and Pompey. Playing Wessex League and Isthmian - they were paid but it wasn’t a job. 

I played in the same junior team as Peter Mendham. Both of us were wingers then.

He was far better.

• Like 1

Didn't go to school with him, but was in the same age group as Darren Cann the assistant referee. I think he was on youth terms at NCFC and was a really good player. Think a bad knee injury scuppered his chances?

Yes, a lad called Trevor Painter, was signed as a schoolboy I think and did become a pro. He attended West Earlham secondary school 1961- 1967 ( approx ).

2 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Didn't go to school with him, but was in the same age group as Darren Cann the assistant referee. I think he was on youth terms at NCFC and was a really good player. Think a bad knee injury scuppered his chances?

Is at this very moment a contestant on BBC 1s 'Pointless'......

25 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Yes. Guy in my class played for us and still works at the club today

I was at junior school with the Lythgoe twins.

A couple of others in that year became apprentices (not at NCFC) but didn't go pro.

A guy in my class at Aylsham High was in the Youth Team in the mid-eighties. He played alongside Ruel Fox amongst others. I know he played for the Ressies a couple of times in 85/86, but what happened then I have no idea..