Sign in to follow this  
Paul Robinson 1998

Have you ever seen a footballer with the same name as you?

I have a question, have you ever seen a footballer with the same name as you before?

As for me, yes. I've seen a couple, one of which was quite famous. Got a few jokes from pals such as 'I didn't realise you were playing! What are you doing here?'

Been a couple of Thompsons instead of my surname, but that's the closest I've been. Been the odd pro with my surname in Sweden, but then my first name isn't typically Swedish. So, nope.

Then Jon Dahl Tomasson came over and nearly got my surname as well, but he had a 'h' missing.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Been a couple of Thompsons instead of my surname, but that's the closest I've been. Been the odd pro with my surname in Sweden, but then my first name isn't typically Swedish. So, nope.

Then Jon Dahl Tomasson came over and nearly got my surname as well, but he had a 'h' missing.

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting how he nearly got your surname.

3 minutes ago, Paul Robinson 1998 said:

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting how he nearly got your surname.

The number of people who've asked me if I'm Scandinavian just because of the "sson" ending...

If I had a pound every time I'd been asked that, and a pound for every time someone wrote it incorrectly, I'd have bought out Delia, lol!

• Like 1

I've never seen a 'Chip20' in any division or league. 😪

Doesn't mean there isn't one, though!!!    😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The number of people who've asked me if I'm Scandinavian just because of the "sson" ending...

If I had a pound every time I'd been asked that, and a pound for every time someone wrote it incorrectly, I'd have bought out Delia, lol!

Lol!

1 minute ago, Chip20 said:

I've never seen a 'Chip20' in any division or league. 😪

Doesn't mean there isn't one, though!!!    😀

Not surprised. xD

No, but have had a rugby league and tennis player, plus a local DJ in Sheffield which used to cause a few problems!  😆

Have had a couple of instances of a shared surname with a professional footballer, but any jokes of being related were promptly quashed when I was witnessed attempting to play football. 

41 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Have had a couple of instances of a shared surname with a professional footballer, but any jokes of being related were promptly quashed when I was witnessed attempting to play football. 

I hope for your sake that your surname is Huckerby and not Coote.

I was kind of named after a footballer, or at least because of one. My Mum was a Coventry fan and when she was first pregnant they had a player with her surname and she thought it sounded like a decent name, but then her first child was a girl so the name couldn't get used. However, second time round she got me and the name had stuck in her head, despite the fact that said player had left Coventry by then.

3 hours ago, Paul Robinson 1998 said:

I have a question, have you ever seen a footballer with the same name as you before?

As for me, yes. I've seen a couple, one of which was quite famous. Got a few jokes from pals such as 'I didn't realise you were playing! What are you doing here?'

Go on, admit it, your first name is really Stefan isn’t it?

My Father had a trial for Norwich City in 1938. (I've still got his "rejected" letter)

Funnily enough he had the same name as me and I used to see him quite frequently.

Does that count?

Just now, Making Plans said:

My Father had a trial for Norwich City in 1938. (I've still got his "rejected" letter)

Funnily enough he had the same name as me and I used to see him quite frequently.

Does that count?

No.

Yes I have, which surprised me as my surname is a bit unusual. Unfortunately I can't disclose it as I often post whilst at work 😉

A quick Google and it looks as I have also been associated with Ipswich Town 😭 

It's a yes from me. My old maths teacher used to call me Useless Sod, and the other night the bloke next to me called our number 24 the same.

• Haha 2

Not really but worked with a guy whose middle name was Rivelinho and played in goal for the Mexican youth sides

14 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Go on, admit it, your first name is really Stefan isn’t it?

Don't it make you feel good if it was?? (The crowbar came in handy for that😀.)

My name has never got close, and it's not that unusual. The only Herman that I can think of is Hreiðarsson. And he spellls it with two Ns.

Edited by Herman

No. But there is a dodgy American dancing guru....

Edited by Kathy