Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Kenny ‘The Mayor’ McLean

There was a real clamour to drop McLean when Dean Smith came in and he has now completed his 3rd consecutive game in the starting line up 

That’s now two managers who have entrusted him to go out and perform - Is it time to accept what McLean brings to the team and give him the respect he deserves? 

• Like 10

Good question. I certainly respect all our players and Kenny is no different. And as you say, two coaches have consistently picked him. Personally, I am not his biggest fan and think he is a top Championship player but just short of being an EPL player. Is it because there is no-one better?

But its the coaches call.

Played very well against Wolves, but played poorly against Newcastle.

I personally prefer PLM and think he had been steadily improving in the team prior to Smith joining. 

If anything the continuance with players like McLean in the team illustrates that the summer recruitment was probably not the level we needed it to be. 

He's not a bad player but you'd think with PLM, Gilmour and Normann coming in that he'd be closer to a squad member then regular starter, otherwise why did we even go for them? We have players like Rupp and Sorensen who can play from the bench so I'm not sure why we purchased players just to bolster the bench - clearly that wasn't the intention. 

Must admit I'm really not a fan of McLean. That's not to say I think he's a rubbish player he is just a middle of the road, jack of all trades master of none. My main issue with him is that he's the kind of player that gives the impression he is busting a gut and is an all round midfielder but if you watch him he is actually quite ineffective. He rarely plays a killer pass or makes a big challenge - has this annoying habit of tracking back with a player but not actually putting in a tackle.

Not a bad player just mediocre. I also see him as a really good example of why we struggle in the premier league when promoted .. we continue to rely on too many players who no matter how hard they try or how good they are in the dressing room just dont have the necessary quality to make the step up to the premier league. If you compare Norman to McLean it is so obvious that he is just on a different level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Yobocop said:

There was a real clamour to drop McLean when Dean Smith came in and he has now completed his 3rd consecutive game in the starting line up 

That’s now two managers who have entrusted him to go out and perform - Is it time to accept what McLean brings to the team and give him the respect he deserves? 

Steve Clarke is not of the same opinion. I dont think Dean Smith has much choice on the water carrier position, 

3 hours ago, rock bus said:

Must admit I'm really not a fan of McLean. That's not to say I think he's a rubbish player he is just a middle of the road, jack of all trades master of none. My main issue with him is that he's the kind of player that gives the impression he is busting a gut and is an all round midfielder but if you watch him he is actually quite ineffective. He rarely plays a killer pass or makes a big challenge - has this annoying habit of tracking back with a player but not actually putting in a tackle.

Not a bad player just mediocre. I also see him as a really good example of why we struggle in the premier league when promoted .. we continue to rely on too many players who no matter how hard they try or how good they are in the dressing room just dont have the necessary quality to make the step up to the premier league. If you compare Norman to McLean it is so obvious that he is just on a different level.

Pretty much agree with this.

Centre mid is in desperate need of further investment, and the fact that McLean is a mainstay only serves to emphasise this.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Pretty much agree with this.

Centre mid is in desperate need of further investment, and the fact that McLean is a mainstay only serves to emphasise this.

Indeed agree with rock bus, and certainly a decent enough player to have in the squad, brilliant at championship level and the odd game where he looks possessed an excellent player, unfortunately this might be once every ten games, he goes missing in more games than he has good ones at this level and one of the main reasons we got relegated last time and probably this time too, we haven’t improved our midfield enough to place McLean on the bench. For me though he’s looked better than Gilmour has and he’s getting rave reviews by pundits yet from what I’ve seen in yellow shirt wouldn’t be missed if he went back the Chelsea in January which is a shame as he’s certainly not lived up to his billing.

Unfortunately Kenny is one of a very short list with experience in the midfield, approaching PL level.  Guarantee he plays the next game. 

What he does isn’t sexy football but is a key element of our play and if his name was Kenaldo McLeanos he would be universally w88nked about amongst our fan base 

Successive managers played Bradley Johnson. This didn't make him a good player. 

As others have pointed out it's more to do with a dearth of central midfielders on our books than McLean actually being good. 

• Like 1

He's crap. That's not an exaggeration I genuinely think he is a bad central midfielder. Six goals in three and a half seasons, two of those in the Championship when we finished top both times is a dreadful return for that position, abysmal. He doesn't break up play, doesnt create and I'm not sure what he does do. I constantly hear that he's good in the air, which he probably is in fairness but any midfield player who is being picked on his aerial prowess is not a good midfield player. First one out the door if I was in charge. I created a thread at the start of the season that said if he played virtually every game we would definitely go down. Got slaughtered by many, but I stand by it.

• Like 1

He's constantly being picked because we haven't improved the squad despite the money spent. 

Put it this way he doesn't get into any other Premier squad. 

I like Kenny, but the fact he seems to be first on the team sheet is why we're bottom of the league. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

He's constantly being picked because we haven't improved the squad despite the money spent. 

Put it this way he doesn't get into any other Premier squad. 

I like Kenny, but the fact he seems to be first on the team sheet is why we're bottom of the league. 

Agree with this. He is our second best midfielder, after Normann, in my opinion and that goes to show exactly why we are struggling. PLM and Gilmore were brought in to strengthen the midfield and simply havent been up to it. 

No disrespect to Kenny at all, I'd certainly be picking him, but we so despartately needed an upgrade in the summer.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 15:33, The Bristol Nest said:

Funny how a positive post gets just a handful of comments whereas how sh1t3 is such and such keeps on giving!?

I know, I don’t get why people queue up to slag our own players off. It’s getting ridiculous, there are a couple of posters on here who have effectively said Kenny is responsible for our relegation last time and will be this season too. Discussion of our recent transfers is valid debate, but saying why two excellent and experienced head coaches (three including Steve Clarke) are repeatedly wrong and you are know better is just deluded. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I know, I don’t get why people queue up to slag our own players off. It’s getting ridiculous, there are a couple of posters on here who have effectively said Kenny is responsible for our relegation last time and will be this season too. Discussion of our recent transfers is valid debate, but saying why two excellent and experienced head coaches (three including Steve Clarke) are repeatedly wrong and you are know better is just deluded. 

I’m not sure many of us are slagging McLean off, just remarking that he’s in a team who will be relegated twice with him playing a big part. He’s a decent enough player but obviously not good enough to be a premiership player. It’s no coincidence that he’s not linked with any other premiership team.

To really compete at this level we need to reset the squad and the likes of Omobamdele, Aarons, Tzolis, Sargent, Rashica need to be kept hold of as they are our future to building the quality.

The likes of McLean, Rupp, Hanley, Gibson, need to be the ones moved on, higher wages and just not good enough to get us to that next level of premiership for more than one season.

Personally I don’t think we will get promoted next year, I think we’ll have a few seasons of building at championship level.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I’m not sure many of us are slagging McLean off, just remarking that he’s in a team who will be relegated twice with him playing a big part. He’s a decent enough player but obviously not good enough to be a premiership player. It’s no coincidence that he’s not linked with any other premiership team.

To really compete at this level we need to reset the squad and the likes of Omobamdele, Aarons, Tzolis, Sargent, Rashica need to be kept hold of as they are our future to building the quality.

The likes of McLean, Rupp, Hanley, Gibson, need to be the ones moved on, higher wages and just not good enough to get us to that next level of premiership for more than one season.

Personally I don’t think we will get promoted next year, I think we’ll have a few seasons of building at championship level.

I can only congratulate you on your impressive powers to see into the future. 😉

Seriously though, after a loss to Tottenham where we played much better than the scoreline indicated, it’s like the sky has fallen in on this board. I don’t understand why. Several posters as well as you have said we’re not only going down, but we won’t come up again either. It must be a miserable existence for you all if you react to the slightest setback like this.

(And just as an aside, how many players in other teams at our level are “linked to other premiership teams”? Only a few I would have thought.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Seriously though, after a loss to Tottenham where we played much better than the scoreline indicated, it’s like the sky has fallen in on this board. I don’t understand why. Several posters as well as you have said we’re not only going down, but we won’t come up again either. It must be a miserable existence for you all if you react to the slightest setback like this.

To be fair it was more the Newcastle performance that took my hopes away. We were pretty decent against Spurs. 

Only thing for sure is we still have lots of improving to do if we are going to stay up, and it is far from clear if that will be possible. Especially as everyone else keeps picking up points the selfish bastards!

22 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

To be fair it was more the Newcastle performance that took my hopes away. We were pretty decent against Spurs. 

Only thing for sure is we still have lots of improving to do if we are going to stay up, and it is far from clear if that will be possible. Especially as everyone else keeps picking up points the selfish bastards!

I think one of the main issues is that we are now aware that Webber is slowly gaining a slight 'fraud' status and that we just cannot score. You don't score you don't stay up, simple as that

How many other EPL first XIs would he get in?

Very few I would suggest.

The sorry state of affairs is we don't have anyone better.

14 hours ago, Yobocop said:

What he does isn’t sexy football but is a key element of our play and if his name was Kenaldo McLeanos he would be universally w88nked about amongst our fan base 

No he wouldn’t. Seriously what is it he does that is so special? He is slow, doesn’t create many chances, wins a few headers and is so weak in the tackle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

(And just as an aside, how many players in other teams at our level are “linked to other premiership teams”? Only a few I would have thought.)

Agree with your post. For so many the sky has fallen . WtF. We are going down

Kenny rubbish . His fault for us going down. Every player in the team is getting blamed for something at some point

You would think we were competing for the title. We are at the beginning of a new road with a new management team who hopefully and haven't done so bad in such a short space of time

Question to the board. Do you want to be in the premier or do you want championship football. This was always going to be a struggle but we may just survive

Get behind the manager (coaches) and the players. It's very difficult being perfect every day. Listening to some it sounds like it's easy. Wise up to the reality of the situation .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Wow hold your horses matey, just because I don’t think we’ll stay up, which I didn’t from the start of the season, I don’t have a miserable existence in fact I’m very happy as my world doesn’t revolve around Norwich City unlike yours! If I don’t rate our chances who are you to question it?

As for not coming back up, nope I don’t think we will,  we will no doubt sell a few of the better player to fund any shortfall, others will depart and we will be left with pretty much the squad as last time, probably without, Cantwell, Aarons, Buendia, no Skipp  players who were pivotal to our promotion.

so get of your high horse it’s not after one loss to Spurs it’s a season long observation in line with lots of pundits. If you don’t like my view of it tough, but I’m certainly not bothered if we stay up or not it has little impact on my very happy life, it’s just football on the side!

Edited by Indy

26 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Agree with your post. For so many the sky has fallen . WtF. We are going down

Kenny rubbish . His fault for us going down. Every player in the team is getting blamed for something at some point

You would think we were competing for the title. We are at the beginning of a new road with a new management team who hopefully and haven't done so bad in such a short space of time

Question to the board. Do you want to be in the premier or do you want championship football. This was always going to be a struggle but we may just survive

Get behind the manager (coaches) and the players. It's very difficult being perfect every day. Listening to some it sounds like it's easy. Wise up to the reality of the situation .

Get behind the coaches, did you all get behind Farke last month?

And our situation is why I don’t think as I didn’t from the start that we would survive……..👍

At no point have I said McLean is ****e, the opposite just read the comment, he’s just not premiership quality simple…..he’s our first choice midfielder yet never consistently good enough to be , reality is we’re way above our squads potential and if we survive they deserve a big bonus.

Edited by Indy