Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Team for Sunday

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Brave ol' call putting Rupp ahead of Aarons. I can see why, as he's defensively diligent when in that position, but crikey, he didn't half pull some timid performances up there during Project Restart and is, IMO, a much more proven quantity for us in the middle of the pitch.

Agreed. If Rashica were available, Dimi would miss out in such a line-up and it would be more of a 4-3-3 with Rupp in a more central role. He's a fairly limited player imo, but we generally seem less likely to concede when he's on the pitch. He would likely be one of the 3 to be hooked in the second half to chase a late goal. I've always felt it a bit unfair to judge him on his performances during Project Restart. With the exception of the Man U cup game, everything we touched turned to shíte over that period. I think if Rupp gets a run of games and stays fit (while Stormin' Normann is unavailable), he might have a role to play to keep us in games and then nick a few draws/wins in the last 10/15mins. Sargent & Dimi are good options to spring off the bench against tired legs. 

On 01/12/2021 at 14:27, lake district canary said:

Why Cantwell?  He has missed yet another game and presumably training from something to do with outside football. It's getting tedious.

Covid contact was the reason. Sensible rather than tedious!!

On 01/12/2021 at 17:26, Norfolk Dan said:

If it helps. Cantwell is a covid issue. It was on the post match interviews. No idea what that means... But that was the reason given.. 

He got pinged. Awaiting result of test

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Williams

Sargent Gilmour Rupp Mclean Giannoulis

Pukki

• Like 2

After the last game I would like to see Dowell get a chance.  No idea if this right but I would go for

Krul

Gilmour Rupp McLean

Dowell Pukki Tzolis 

• Like 1

I would try a bit of a change and go.............

Krul

Omabamidele  Hanley  Gibson

Aarons                                                 Giannoulis

Gilmour         McLean

Dowell

Pukki                                Tzolis

Of the 3 centre-backs, 1 of them pushes forward closer to a CDM whenever possible.

At Spurs corners/free kicks etc Tzolis is told to stay up as an "out ball" and is free to run at defenders.

Dowell there for creativity, in particular - set pieces.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

After the last game I would like to see Dowell get a chance.  No idea if this right but I would go for

Krul

Gilmour Rupp McLean

Dowell Pukki Tzolis 

That looks right to me. Give tzolis another start. Bring Sargent on about 60mins to replace either him or Dowell

• Like 1

Why Cantwell?  He has missed yet another game and presumably training from something to do with outside football. It's getting tedious.

Jesus you hate Todd, what did he do to you ?

If it helps it seems he was told he had to isolate, it’s the law, stop spreading garbage about our players just because you don’t like them.

I love Todd, but I completely get LDC’s point.  Each event is explainable, but it is frustrating, and Dowell must be annoyed at the treatment Todd gets.

• Like 1

I can see Omabamidele coming in for thus game, for his pace. Gibbo to miss out unless we go to a three.

Krul

Dowell Gilmour Rupp Mclean Giannoulis

Pukki

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Krul

Pukki

Like that,  but bit worried Gilmour/Dowell wont give Max much protection.

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Krul

Pukki

Worried this will leave Pukki too isolated. Would move Dowell just behind him

On 01/12/2021 at 14:56, paddycanary said:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Gibson     Williams

Rupp       Gilmour     McLean      Giannoulis

Idah

Pukki

Clog up the midfield & keep it tight. Aarons & Giannoulis for width. Sargent, Tzolis/Dowell & PLM off the bench to nick a late winner. 3 away points brought home from London, happy days! 

Lol

That team would struggle to get out of the dressing room let alone our own half. 

If Smith picked that line up I'd give up hope!

He was , under government rules, told to isolate due to covid. Its get tedious people use any excuse to dig him out

17 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Sargent Gilmour Rupp Mclean Giannoulis

Pukki

Thats the team he will go with... not much more he can do really

25 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

He was , under government rules, told to isolate due to covid. Its get tedious people use any excuse to dig him out

The point wasn't about covid, it was about yet another frustration with his season so far.

32 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:
On 01/12/2021 at 14:56, paddycanary said:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Gibson     Williams

Rupp       Gilmour     McLean      Giannoulis

Idah

Pukki

Clog up the midfield & keep it tight. Aarons & Giannoulis for width. Sargent, Tzolis/Dowell & PLM off the bench to nick a late winner. 3 away points brought home from London, happy days! 

Lol

That team would struggle to get out of the dressing room let alone our own half. 

If Smith picked that line up I'd give up hope!

It won't be far off that team.  I would have the same team with perhaps Sargent instead of Idah, but there is a good case for including Idah after he did well coming on last week.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The point wasn't about covid, it was about yet another frustration with his season so far.

He was asked to isolate, if was not his fault. I am sure he is more frustrated than you

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

I can see Omabamidele coming in for thus game, for his pace. Gibbo to miss out unless we go to a three.

No chance. The only change in the back four would be Williams for Giannoulis but I doubt that will happen either. They've been defending pretty well so why change it? Omabamidele is certainly the future though and it's only a matter of time before he is the first name on the teamsheet for me. What a prospect he is.

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

Worried this will leave Pukki too isolated. Would move Dowell just behind him

Think that midfield 5 and Giannoulis and Dowell in particular would be more fluid than that, I’m not imagining any real difference in formation from the 433, just wrote it that way.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Unless you have any evidence to the contrary he’s just unlucky. What’s happened before Smith arrived is pretty irrelevant now.

Gilmour was better with Normann in the team, with Rupp playing Gilmour has to be more defensive. Newcastle's goal came from  Gilmour being in a place he shouldn't have been. 

So Sorensen instead of Rupp and we are better defensively and going forward. I'd prefer Idah to Sargent because he gets into the box and creates chances. 

40 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

What’s happened before Smith arrived is pretty irrelevant now.

Well imo the fact that he has missed so much time through the whole of this season is quite relevant to his present situation regardless of who the manager is/was. It's quite the opposite of the last PL season where he hit the ground running and made a good impact from day one. So far he has contributed very little to us getting points this season. He's not been available - for slight injury reasons/personal reasons/match fitness reasons and now this most recent delay in him being involved through being pinged. So for whatever reason, it's frustrating that we have a player who is potentially very important to this season not at the races and not contributing.

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

No chance. The only change in the back four would be Williams for Giannoulis but I doubt that will happen either. They've been defending pretty well so why change it? Omabamidele is certainly the future though and it's only a matter of time before he is the first name on the teamsheet for me. What a prospect he is.

Why change it? Because there have been errors and weaknesses in central defence that Dean Smith will have noted and on another day would have cost us goals. Maybe Sunday isn't the time for change, granted. I am sure Smith has selected his defence with as little risk as possible, but change will come.

ps right from the start vs Southampton, Smith noted how Adams got through two challenges before scoring. He knows where we need to improve or strengthen.

Edited by Pugin
add

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well imo the fact that he has missed so much time through the whole of this season is quite relevant to his present situation regardless of who the manager is/was. It's quite the opposite of the last PL season where he hit the ground running and made a good impact from day one. So far he has contributed very little to us getting points this season. He's not been available - for slight injury reasons/personal reasons/match fitness reasons and now this most recent delay in him being involved through being pinged. So for whatever reason, it's frustrating that we have a player who is potentially very important to this season not at the races and not contributing.

You said tedious. Frustrating I agree with.

And no it’s not relevant IMO to your original point because he and the previous manager clearly had an issue.

He has a fresh start so the issues earlier in the season should not prevent him now getting an opportunity.

6 hours ago, Well b back said:

Jesus you hate Todd, what did he do to you ?

If it helps it seems he was told he had to isolate, it’s the law, stop spreading garbage about our players just because you don’t like them.

WBB - If you are double vaccinated unless you've been in contact with Omicron I didn't think you had  to isolate now ?

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

Why change it? Because there have been errors and weaknesses in central defence that Dean Smith will have noted and on another day would have cost us goals. Maybe Sunday isn't the time for change, granted. I am sure Smith has selected his defence with as little risk as possible, but change will come.

ps right from the start vs Southampton, Smith noted how Adams got through two challenges before scoring. He knows where we need to improve or strengthen.

We've only conceded one goal in open play in Smith's three games. That's good by anyone's standards. It doesnt need changing at this point, but Omabamidele is 100% going to force his way in at some point.

In the context of this season having Cantwell available and on form would almost be like having a new player!

Just hope it happens.