Ramrod

I honestly don't understand the moaning.

Of course, had we been sharper in front of goal, we could be 4 points better off from the last two games. 

But look at our solidity, shape, pressuring, tightness to opposing players and competitiveness compared to everything up to the first half against Southampton? 

Look at how we play further up the pitch and on the front foot. 

Rashica and Sargent plus others have failed to score goals to support Pukki who remains miles ahead of his team mates in terms of vision and speed of thought. We have to involve Teemu more in linking play, we have to be quicker in the final third and we may lack the quality to do so, or maybe the confidence. But we no longer look bullied, lightweight or boys against men. 

Look at how we dealt with Wolves and Newcastle powerful flair players. They were snuffed out. 

This solidity and consistency, this reduction in chances and goals against has to be the starting point and I personally feel proud of our players who are achieving it. All the talk now is about our lack of goals, before it was how many we were letting in. 

Newcastle were at home with a new manager present for the first time. They were fired up. We handled that. They won a penalty and lifted the crowd. We came back. 

We all want more but I honestly don't understand the moaning. We are no longer 'adrift' and I didn't expect that. 

Get behind our fighting team! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Endured 20 odd losses in a row with Farke and people moaning about a draw against any team in this league. Hilarious

• Like 5

It's disappointing but we still won a point from being behind. That's 4 of those since Dean Smith took over just 3 games ago.

When he took over he said his first job was to make us more difficult to beat. That seems to be happening. He's already talking about improving the attacking side of our game 

Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ramrod said:

Of course, had we been sharper in front of goal, we could be 4 points better off from the last two games. 

But look at our solidity, shape, pressuring, tightness to opposing players and competitiveness compared to everything up to the first half against Southampton? 

Rashica and Sargent plus others have failed to score goals to support Pukki who remains miles ahead of his team mates in terms of vision and speed of thought. We have to involve Teemu more in linking play, we have to be quicker in the final third and we may lack the quality to do so, or maybe the confidence. But we no longer look bullied, lightweight or boys against men. 

Look at how we dealt with Wolves and Newcastle powerful flair players. They were snuffed out. 

This solidity and consistency, this reduction in chances and goals against has to be the starting point and I personally feel proud of our players who are achieving it. All the talk now is about our lack of goals, before it was how many we were letting in. 

Newcastle were at home with a new manager present for the first time. They were fired up. We handled that. They won a penalty and lifted the crowd. We came back. 

We all want more but I honestly don't understand the moaning. We are no longer 'adrift' and I didn't expect that. 

💯👏🎯

Not moaning,

Just some context.

We played the bottom of the league who played with a man less for 91 minutes.

It wasn't a dominating display and we created 2/3 chances 

We very nearly could have come away with nothing.

• Like 2

I don't think people are disgruntled with Smith or the team really, just a bit frustrated that we couldn't capitalise on Newcastle going down to 10 men so early in the game.

But I think that made the game harder for us as it made Newcastle sit deep and compact, and ideally we'd have space in behind for Pukki. Sometimes it is more difficult to play against 10 men.

There is also a bit of a realisation that we just don't have enough goals in our team, we've got no Pukki competition and no goals in our midfield. We simply don't have enough goals in this team.

I understand the context. After the match I was really dissappointed. It was an extremely frustrating watch. But keeping in mind that there was no Normann or Rashica, our two best players this season together with Pukki, and the fact that we played a match on saturday its not that bad. 

its a bad preformance, but no reason to think we cant keep improving and keep the form curve in the right direction

I haven't really seen any moaning, you do realise if the team puts in a poor performance you are allowed to actually say so, this is a discussion board, yes? 

There are positives to take, we look more solid, another point gained from losing position something Farke never did in this league. 

But that doesn't detract from the fact that many, Sargent, Gilmour and Williams especially were poor last night. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I haven't really seen any moaning, you do realise if the team puts in a poor performance you are allowed to actually say so, this is a discussion board, yes? 

There are positives to take, we look more solid, another point gained from losing position something Farke never did in this league. 

But that doesn't detract from the fact that many, Sargent, Gilmour and Williams especially were poor last night. 

Agree with this, but to add another level of context.

Look at the age of the three who didn't play well. Unfortunately this was a game where you might have needed some experience, it's highly pressurised, in a big stadium and when youre expected to win. It's something they will need to learn how to deal with.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Great post. Personally I would play Pukki in the No. 10 role (his vision, pace and all round play is brilliant) and bring in another striker!

• Like 1

We would have lost all of our last 3 games just a few weeks ago. That to me is significant progress in a very short time.

• Like 2

Annoyed we couldn’t capitalise but with 2 of our most attacking players out the result was foreseeable. I honestly feared the worst when they scored the pen and switched off, was ecstatic when I got the score alert for Pukki’s goal.

In the context of our season it's a decent point, it's just general frustration that we didn't really take advantage of the extra man - although it made no difference to Newcastle defensively.

Of course, PLM had a golden chance and there's an argument we should have had at least one penalty so it's fine margins. The key point for me is, whilst down to 10 men Newcastle had that new manager feel and the crowd too - I never felt like we were going to concede until the pen was given. They couldn't create anything significant in open play against us.

For me the key thing is that against a poor team with ten men we didn't look good enough to win it.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think people are disgruntled with Smith or the team really, just a bit frustrated that we couldn't capitalise on Newcastle going down to 10 men so early in the game.

But I think that made the game harder for us as it made Newcastle sit deep and compact, and ideally we'd have space in behind for Pukki. Sometimes it is more difficult to play against 10 men.

There is also a bit of a realisation that we just don't have enough goals in our team, we've got no Pukki competition and no goals in our midfield. We simply don't have enough goals in this team.

This. Like last time before Xmas Pukki got crocked and we slipped out of the league because he lost form and no one else offered anything.

Again this insistence that Idah was somehow the answer over the summer really annoyed me. Then spending upwards of 10 mill on Sargent who isn’t a striker just seems utterly baffling. 

I appreciate it’s not FIFA and we can’t buy whoever we want but crying out loud we all said we needed a striker who could offer support for Pukki in the summer and we didn’t get one. That now looks like a decision which will come to haunt us.

For me, we remind me of  Fulham last season. Good enough to survive IF they could score the goals. Which we know didn’t happen and we can’t beyond Pukki. 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

We missed Rashica didn't we? And maybe Cantwell too. 

Not Cantwell.

Watched it on Amazon and the only thing that really annoyed me was Shearer whinging all the way through it.

It was scuffy but we got a point thanks to a great strike by Pukki. It's tough to turn a jaggernaut round after so long off course but unbeaten in four is a decent start.

• Like 1

Thanks for cheering me up a bit Ramrod. Apart from a couple of the subs changing the pattern of our game, including the assist I also thought we dealt well with the physicality of some of their bigger players. St Maximam was well checked and although he did his usual runs (which often are a bit without end product anyway) he was often bundled off the ball. Shelvey was given a couple of crunching tackles.

I felt we controlled the game actually (and even felt so when they had 11 men). Yet, we looked bereft in that final third. Probably because Newcastle formed two banks of defenders. So, we troubled their keeper much less than we should. Think of Krul though, he had virtually nothing to do again.

So, we look competitive and have some steel but with 10 points now from 14 it's looking bleaker.

Still, no moans from me. 8 points I think from 12 points possible in our last 4. If we replicate that anytime over our next two sets of four games we may have a chance to close the gap. The next four look a challenge but there is some belief there to cling to.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Good posts on here. Tighter in defence. So are we saying it is fixable in January? A clinical finisher and proven goal scorer? Who?

So Paddy Davitt is a 'moaning fan' as well is he? This is his condensed analysis quoted directly from his post match article..............

City were lethargic and lateral, laboured in possession and lacking in ideas  

That's not 'moaning', that is exactly what I also saw for 80 minutes (bar the very late charge in last few minutes). Anyone who attempts to dress this up as anything other than two huge dropped points is in yellow and green dreamland I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

It was a good point in the end but from a poor performance.

The thing for me is that suffer a couple of injuries, scratch below the surface the squad is very ordinary.

Deano has a huge task on this hands, he's inherited players from the Farke mould, still ingrained in that way of playing. It will take time for him to drill that out of them, or change them.

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So Paddy Davitt is a 'moaning fan' as well is he? This is his condensed analysis quoted directly from his post match article..............

City were lethargic and lateral, laboured in possession and lacking in ideas  

That's not 'moaning', that is exactly what I also saw for 80 minutes (bar the very late charge in last few minutes). Anyone who attempts to dress this up as anything other than two huge dropped points is in yellow and green dreamland I'm afraid. 

It was Farke like, all the things we threw at Farke, slow play, no urgency and bereft of ideas going forwards, not to mention what on earth the half time substitute did to our already slow play. Sargent and Tzolis were poor but the slow play up to them never gave them a chance to show much.

With Idah on the bench surely the change should have been Tzolis for Idah. Still some are happy to take a point other see it as it was very poor and the chance to put Newcastle a good few pints behind us.

• Like 1

I take my cue from the manager.  Doesn't the report on his comments share the same point of view as the moaners (well he certainly concurs with my view).  The Toon were there for the taking, and we didn't!  Nuff Said?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ramrod said:

To not beat a direct relegation rival who had 10 men for 80 minutes and not show any attacking intent until the last 10 minutes is quite frankly unacceptable. Dont think anyone should be happy with last nights performance. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ricardo said:

For me the key thing is that against a poor team with ten men we didn't look good enough to win it.

We missed a couple of players who are shaping up to be key for us (their absence proves this), but then the opposition also had two first choice defenders out.

Smith himself said that Idah and Sargent needed to contribute more goals in his post match interview. And that we moved the ball far too slowly.

It is actually okay to sometimes highlight a team's deficiencies whilst recognising and appreciating the overall improvement that the managerial change has brought.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

To not beat a direct relegation rival who had 10 men for 80 minutes and not show any attacking intent until the last 10 minutes is quite frankly unacceptable. Dont think anyone should be happy with last nights performance. 

It was tough to watch, not enjoyable at all. I was well happy when they got a red card but you have to wonder how we would have played if it was 11v11 the whole game, I actually feel their red card bamboozled our players. 

• Like 2